Dolby Atmos is coming to Windows 10 and Xbox One in 2017

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bmoura

2K Club - QQ Super Nova
Since 2002/2003
Neowin reports that Dolby Atmos is coming to Windows 10 and Xbox One in 2017. The article says in part:

"If you're an audiophile who wants the most immersive experience while playing games, listening to music or watching movies, Microsoft has some good news in store for you. Starting in 2017, support for Dolby Atmos sound will be rolling out to Xbox One consoles as well as Windows 10 PCs and tablets.

Emphasizing the gaming enhancements that can be achieved with Dolby Atmos, Microsoft states that gamers will be able to feel sound "moving" precisely around them. They'll be able to navigate snipers on roofs or enemies hovering before them with pinpoint accuracy. The company claims that this will make the gaming experience more intense and realistic."

https://www.neowin.net/news/dolby-atmos-is-coming-to-windows-10-and-xbox-one-next-year

Started playing Shadow of the Tomb Raider on my Xbox One X - 4k HDR and Atmos sound.

It's the first game I have played with an active Atmos mix. In a cave there was some bats flying around the cave ceiling and their screaming (?) came from the 4 ceiling speakers. A while later I was in the Rainforest - with jungle animal sounds from all directions - changing directions as I turned or moved - like it would in the real world, even between the 4 ceiling speakers.

Awesome :smokin

Started playing Shadow of the Tomb Raider on my Xbox One X - 4k HDR and Atmos sound.

It's the first game I have played with an active Atmos mix. In a cave there was some bats flying around the cave ceiling and their screaming (?) came from the 4 ceiling speakers. A while later I was in the Rainforest - with jungle animal sounds from all directions - changing directions as I turned or moved - like it would in the real world, even between the 4 ceiling speakers.

Awesome :smokin

I have been seriously looking to upgrade to Xbox One X as I have the 4k telly and an Atmos speaker set up. In your opinion is the difference like night and day between this one and the older Xbox One (assuming you had/have one?)

I know, even this old timer still likes a bit of escapism now and again..as long as I can keep it up!! (play Destiny 2 mainly)

I have been seriously looking to upgrade to Xbox One X as I have the 4k telly and an Atmos speaker set up. In your opinion is the difference like night and day between this one and the older Xbox One (assuming you had/have one?)

I know, even this old timer still likes a bit of escapism now and again..as long as I can keep it up!! (play Destiny 2 mainly)

I have the vanilla Xbox One too, Elite though - with the epic awesome controller :smokin. I think the vanilla Xbox One does Atmos too? Just download the Dolby app, it's free.

But the Xbox One X deliver 4k resolution with hdr - both in some games, streaming (Netflix etc) and uhd bd. Newer games looks stunning in 4k hdr - like Shadow of the Tomb Raider, Far Cry 5 etc. I use my Xbox X as a movie&tv-series streaming device - because it delivers Atmos and 4k hdr.

And they have enhanced some older games to the X - like Fallout 4, looks great:

https://www.xbox.com/en-us/games/xbox-one/xbox-one-x-enhanced-list

Going from 1080p to 4k don't do much for me, I can't see the difference - but hdr is something else - a big improvement. And most games (all?) plays better on the X.

Nice to see another old timer gamer!!!!

I have the vanilla Xbox One too, Elite though - with the epic awesome controller :smokin. I think the vanilla Xbox One does Atmos too? Just download the Dolby app, it's free.

But the Xbox One X deliver 4k resolution with hdr - both in some games, streaming (Netflix etc) and uhd bd. Newer games looks stunning in 4k hdr - like Shadow of the Tomb Raider, Far Cry 5 etc. I use my Xbox X as a movie&tv-series streaming device - because it delivers Atmos and 4k hdr.

And they have enhanced some older games to the X - like Fallout 4, looks great:

https://www.xbox.com/en-us/games/xbox-one/xbox-one-x-enhanced-list

Going from 1080p to 4k don't do much for me, I can't see the difference - but hdr is something else - a big improvement. And most games (all?) plays better on the X.

Thanks Spock(y)(y)(y)(y)

Looks like I better look out for a deal on this little baby then...I knew that piggy bank was gonna take another hammering!!

Ooh very nice too, I did look at projectors a few years back..but decided it would not quite suit my little bat cave .

Bat caves are the best for pojectors I think? ;)

I have mine in the living room, white walls and ceiling, but it delivers a nice picture here too. 106" screen with a 3m viewing distance.

If you like adventure games - do try Shadow of the Tomb Raider - it should deliver Atmos on your current Xbox. Real active Atmos!

Under sound options - you can choose from 3 dynamic settings, "tv-speakers" - "headphones" - and finally "Dynamic Range - High" (Home Theater).

If you like adventure games - do try Shadow of the Tomb Raider - it should deliver Atmos on your current Xbox. Real active Atmos!

Under sound options - you can choose from 3 dynamic settings, "tv-speakers" - "headphones" - and finally "Dynamic Range - High" (Home Theater).

On that rec I need to sort that out then...:)(y)

The last (and only) video game I’ve ever played was this Tennis / Squash console game back in the seventies....

Got it for Christmas. My interest lasted about 5 minutes until the novelty wore off and anyway I was concerned about burning the phosphor of the TV screen! My brother quite liked it but the ping-pong noise used to annoy the dog (and me). Younger members of my family tell me that the graphics of games have got a bit more sophisticated over the years.

I finally found the Xbox One X deal I was looking for. So now I'm the proud owner of my last? gaming machine.
The driving game Horizon 4 looks brill in 4K.
Yet to get Shadows Spock!!

Ah TV tennis...great fun.🤣

Back