David Gray/a New Day At Midnight Multi-ch Dvd-a

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
JonUrban said:
Anyone know what kind of music this one is? Also, do import DVD-A's play on an NTSC monitor?

http://elusivedisc.com/prodinfo.asp?number=WBDA70975&variation=&aitem=36&mitem=843

Jon

I was looking at this the other day and it does seem to be NTSC - it almost seems to be a standard that DVD-As are authored as NTSC to be globally compatible - only EMI over here seem to go to the bother of doing PAL versions of the Beach Boys and Deep Purple Concerto for example.

Patrick

PS. BTW It's great - nice 24/192 from the original 1/2" master and a good surround mix

Thanks a lot for the info on this one!

I like this album (as well as I like the previous one), although the mix on the CD is as muddy and flat as can be (which was a huge disappointment because his previous CD was terriffic sounding). I hope the DVD-Audio version was produced with a little more care....

I was looking for more information on this title. Is there a poll for this dvd-audio? After doing some searches of the forum I could not find any other posts on this one. Also this David Gray dvd-audio seems to be rather hard to find now. I know this was only released in the UK, so how rare is this title?

I was looking for more information on this title. Is there a poll for this dvd-audio? After doing some searches of the forum I could not find any other posts on this one. Also this David Gray dvd-audio seems to be rather hard to find now. I know this was only released in the UK, so how rare is this title?

No poll, and yes, it's very rare. If there is enough interest, I'll create a poll. Anyone ever get this one?

Got mine a couple of years ago from Amazon UK's marketplace for reasonable price. It's MLP 96/24, although the sound quality is nothing outstanding, drum machine tracks in particular. But the mix (Mike Nielsen) is much better than I remembered, easily an 7. Definitely worth having.

Also, there is a review at m-music.ru:
Discrete instruments in the rears, vocals in the center and sometimes in the rears too. It seemed to me that the stereo track sounds much clearer and cleaner, although MC is still obviously more interesting in places (e.g. in "Knowhere").
5 points out of 10, can't really rate higher.
The sound quality is good.
Music - folk-rock, not going beyond the genre. Sometimes even a waltz rhythm, somewhat bluesy. Carefully and come to nothing obliging. Strictly, but surely. Adrenaline is missing. The neighbors can sleep peacefully.
From what I have, this disc recalls Paul Simon's "You're The One".

I picked it up too.
MLP Stereo/Surround, DD/DTS surround & DD stereo.

Cannot really remember how it is, so obviously did not make much impression on me at the time

I have a copy i think it was one of those one time listen discs my wife loves, and i dislike !!!
If there was a poll i would go back and listen

Hey. I was fortunate to read about this way back and scored a copy pretty easily for retail. This is a great disc to sit back and chill. Perfect discrete-where-it-needs-to-be mix. Worth the hunt.

Thanks for all your feedback guys. Guess I was lucky to have scored a copy off of ebay a few years back, for around $20. I just pulled it out a few days ago and decided to give it a listen. For me it is a nice recording with moments of discreteness, but mostly subtle ambience from the rears. As far as the music goes, if you are a David Gray fan, it is about what you would expect from a follow-up to "White Ladder". He didn't take a lot of musical chances, or change much up from the successful "White Ladder" release. If anything it is more layed back and mellow than "White Ladder". I think I will hang on to my copy if it is that rare.

I like these one...good mix not overwhelming but solid...unfortunatly no poll.

The Album "white Ladder" was Quite good from him but without a 5.1 version.

Hi Jon,
Any chance of a poll for this DVD-A by David Gray. I think it is worth a heads up to people as the mix and the music is fairly good..imođź‘Ť

I second the motion.....a truly lovely album in MLP DVD~A 5.1.

th

R-1531485-1420306523-5596.jpeg.jpg

Last edited:
Back