King Crimson 50th anniversary releases

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

César

2K Club - QQ Super Nova
Just posted today: https://www.dgmlive.com/news/King Crimson - Celebrating 50 years
We've got confirmation (and a very nice picture of the cover) of the Heaven and Earth release in May (no description of contents though).
And, most intriguing, October release of the new In the Court box featuring a new 5.1 mix! There's nothing wrong with Steven's from my point of view, so I hope is just a review of the previous one done by Mr Wilson himself.

Just posted today: https://www.dgmlive.com/news/King Crimson - Celebrating 50 years
We've got confirmation (and a very nice picture of the cover) of the Heaven and Earth release in May (no description of contents though).
And, most intriguing, October release of the new In the Court box featuring a new 5.1 mix! There's nothing wrong with Steven's from my point of view, so I hope is just a review of the previous one done by Mr Wilson himself.

OMG! I must have those, all of those :eek:

Ref In the Court box I cant remember but was the original release on 48/24 maybe its been redone at 96/24

Hell yes! Been waiting for Construction of Light and Power to Believe 5.1 mixes for too long now. Are these SW mixes? If they were Fripp mixes with JJ playing assistant (like Thrak), I'd be good with that. I don't get the sort of dismissal of this lineup (ProjeKct X). I thought this was the closest the band got to the vibe of the 72-74 era. Long stretches of improvising without a net. I saw a number of shows during this period. I wish I could have done that with the 72-74 band but 6 year old me would have been a little overwhelmed I think! It's great to have all the Islands era recordings... but this is what I've been really waiting for. :)

And this sounds pretty great too!
CLUB48 will be a recently discovered board recording of the concert in Newcastle on 8th December 1972 by the complete Larks Tongues in Aspic line-up before Jamie Muir left the band.

I need to listen to the remix of Court again. I remember not just loving this one and preferring the original mix (even though the remix had some very much cleaned up fidelity). I thought similar about Poseidon. The remastered 5.1 mix on the bluray (including the actual 5.1 mix of Mars instead of the upmix - it was only missing those canned strains of Court for cryin out loud!) fixed everything for that one. Maybe this will be just remastered and fix it the same way? No announcement of finding the lost multitrack from that Fillmore West '69 show...

If you read the liner notes for the Thrak box, Fripp was completely hands on and Jakko was treated as his assistant. That would be just fine here too. Or perhaps David Singleton mixes? That works too! I think I'm actually most looking forward to the Heaven and Earth tracks in 5.1. My favorite of the 3 (even if it isn't considered one of the main releases).

What I'm wondering is, what is the difference between this:
Oct: Complete 1969 Recordings CD/DVD-a/Blu-Ray set – completing the availability of all King Crimson studio albums on Blu-Ray.

And this:
In The Court of the Crimson King Companion & Boxed Set
Oct: Released to coincide and celebrate the original release date of King Crimson's debut album on 12th October 1969:
Limited edition expanded boxed set of “In The Court of the King Crimson” including all the live recordings, the expanded multitrack 1969 recording sessions, as well as a new 5.1 remix of the album.DGM Companion Vol 1, edited by Robert Fripp & David Singleton – Vinyl sized coffee table book covering the history of “In The Court of Crimson King”, with complete timeline, extensive photos, recollections and essays.

Anyway, very much looking forward to the "Heaven & Earth" box set in May, along with the "Cosmic F*Kc" documentary later this year!

:)

Robert Fripp is coming for your wallet! LOL. I will hand over my money without hesitation! :)

I don't get the sort of dismissal of this lineup (ProjeKct X). I thought this was the closest the band got to the vibe of the 72-74 era. Long stretches of improvising without a net. I saw a number of shows during this period.

I agree 100%! This version of the band was a real powerhouse. I saw multiple nights too. (One show was a double bill with Living Colour. A very intense evening.) The penultimate gig that this lineup played is available as a Collectors Club release and it's a real scorcher. The Power to Believe is one of my favorite albums by any lineup of KC. If the 5.1 mix is as good as Thrak, it'll be a real treat.

The best Larks' Tongues IV I've ever heard played was at Park West. I was about 10' in front of Fripp. He had this intense focus off into... somewhere else during his lightning solo (he doesn't so much as glance at his fretboard during that!) I was beside myself when I saw a DGM Live download appear! Their tape ran out just 2 minutes into that song...
Just... %!^%#&$#&)(#*)&(*&^!^$!%#@%*#)*&@&@^%@#I*&#)*&@*^@&#()(#&*&%^$@(^#)&$)*^@*&%*@^$!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

What I'm wondering is, what is the difference between this...

And this...
I do believe these will be one and the same. The box will contain all there is to release from '69, including ITCotCK on CD, DVD-A, and Blu-ray (for the first time). The 5.1 mix will be either all-new or just tweaked. Presumably, the previous remix(es, surround and stereo) will be included as well.

I do believe these will be one and the same. The box will contain all there is to release from '69, including ITCotCK on CD, DVD-A, and Blu-ray (for the first time). The 5.1 mix will be either all-new or just tweaked. Presumably, the previous remix(es, surround and stereo) will be included as well.

I got a reply from Alex Mundy on the DGM site:
The complete 1969 recordings/Court box are one & the same. The Court Companion - is a book.

Cool, fine with me. :)

Back