Listening to Now (In Surround) - Volume 2

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I listen to the Q8 occasionally (I think no Quad LP right?); and it does sound very strange (not in a good way), also would love to hear it cleaned up considerably because the copy I have just sounds rough or dirty.:( All too bad, 'cause I remember parties in the 70's and dancing to this album, still enjoy the music.

No , sadly , no.

But it was available , Fly Like An Eagle........on quad DTS CD . :)

And later in this millennium ......twice released on a 5.1 cd/dvd package.

No way as good as Fly Like An Eagle .

You may have the two reversed SJ .

I don't mind The Joker ,(requested on post #17220 , frederico)...... but Eagle is just a quad masterpiece , I think anyways.

On a side note I always wondered what happened to "Book Of Dreams " which was recorded at the SAME sessions as "Fly Like An Eagle " ??? What no quad ?!

:unsure: :)

Wild Mountain Honey
Had to play this one (sounds great to me :love:)

FLAE.jpg

No way as good as Fly Like An Eagle .

You may have the two reversed SJ .

I don't mind The Joker ,(requested on post #17220 , frederico)...... but Eagle is just a quad masterpiece , I think anyways.

Nope, I pulled the files out for Joker and I was right about the layout on the title track. The drums are entirely through the right rear and the left is dead silent until the acoustic guitar pops in during the chorus. It's a much more discrete mix than Eagle. I have the quad Eagle on DTS-CD and the 5.1 version on DVD-V. I like the new mix much better, but the quad ain't bad.

Nope, I pulled the files out for Joker and I was right about the layout on the title track. The drums are entirely through the right rear and the left is dead silent until the acoustic guitar pops in during the chorus. It's a much more discrete mix than Eagle. I have the quad Eagle on DTS-CD and the 5.1 version on DVD-V. I like the new mix much better, but the quad ain't bad.

Hmmmmmmm.

Well ok for you , but I stand by my opinion , SJ.

I do like em both though. :)

View attachment 37739

I'm hardly a country music fan, but this is a nice album and very good quad listen. Not a flashy mix (no swirling steel guitar), but everything is separated out nicely in typical CBS fashion. The fronts have the lead vocal, acoustic guitar, and piano. The drums are usually in the left rear speaker, and the right rear generally has steel guitar and/or bass. Backing vocals are in the rears.

I'd totally buy an SACD of this. Seeing as D-V have already tackled two of his quads, this could be on the horizon...

interesting! i noticed on the Behind Closed Doors track on the Silver Fox album on the recent Charlie Rich DV SACD the bass was RR and drums RL, same as you've found on the Quad of the BCD album.. i'm wondering if the version on Silver Fox is a straight port/dub of the version on the BCD Quad. also i think the channels may have been reversed on my BCD SQ LP SM decode! :eek: i need to look into that.

interesting! i noticed on the Behind Closed Doors track on the Silver Fox album on the recent Charlie Rich DV SACD the bass was RR and drums RL, same as you've found on the Quad of the BCD album.. i'm wondering if the version on Silver Fox is a straight port/dub of the version on the BCD Quad. also i think the channels may have been reversed on my BCD SQ LP SM decode!:eek: i need to look into that.

+1:eek::eek::eek:

Started with Mahavishnu Orchestra Birds of Fire, AF Sacd 4.0 hoping that the quad mix would grow on me as I’ve recently heard plenty of really good quad mixes (Chicago, Doors, etc) that I’ve enjoyed. Still don’t like Birds in quad. Best example is the totally uninspired mix for One Word. Containing the McLaughlin/Hammer/Goodman trade-off solos in the mains when so much more could have been done by also engaging the rears is unforgivable.

The Doors - The Best of The Doors, 4.0 Blu-ray next. Excellent! Love that they used the unedited long version of Light My Fire. What a great Manzarek/Krieger excursion! Of course, there’s nothing quite like being in the middle of the storm during Riders!

Started with Mahavishnu Orchestra Birds of Fire, AF Sacd 4.0 hoping that the quad mix would grow on me as I’ve recently heard plenty of really good quad mixes (Chicago, Doors, etc) that I’ve enjoyed. Still don’t like Birds in quad. Best example is the totally uninspired mix for One Word. Containing the McLaughlin/Hammer/Goodman trade-off solos in the mains when so much more could have been done by also engaging the rears is unforgivable.

There's actually a lot of great quad fusion stuff out on SACD. There's two Herbie Hancock discs (HeadHunters & Thrust), two Jeff Beck discs (Blow By Blow & Wired), and two Weather Report discs (Mysterious Traveller & Tale Spinnin'). The only one I'm not crazy about is Mysterious Traveller and it's long OOP now anyway, but the rest are better quad mixes than Birds Of Fire IMO.

The other Mahavishnu quad album (Between Nothingness & Eternity Live) has a more interesting layout with Cobham across the fronts, McLaughlin in the (phantom) center, and Hammer and Goodman trading off between the rears. There's also an announced, but unreleased quad of Apocalypse.

Last edited:
c394c7466f10b5b60fcd85245c306e68.jpg

Velcro Cranes - Afterlife

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Just spun the Velcro Cranes last night myself, Gos. Interesting music from these Russian modern prog shoe-gazers. I like Bruce Soords’ subtle but discrete 5.1 mix too. This maxi single can be had for free from the band’s Bandcamp site. Recommended.

There's actually a lot of great quad fusion stuff out on SACD. There's two Herbie Hancock discs (HeadHunters & Thrust), two Jeff Beck discs (Blow By Blow & Wired), and two Weather Report discs (Mysterious Traveller & Tale Spinnin'). The only one I'm not crazy about is Mysterious Traveller and it's long OOP now anyway, but the rest are better quad mixes than Birds Of Fire IMO.

The other Mahavishnu quad album (Between Nothingness & Eternity Live) has a more interesting layout with Cobham across the fronts and McLaughlin and Goodman trading off between the rears. There's also an announced, but unreleased quad of Apocalypse.
True, Jonathan. I have and cherish Blow by Blow on the CDJapan quad SACD. Have Wired too, but it’s nowhere near as glorious as BBB imo. Would kill to hear Apocalypse 4.0 on SACD! My other favorite quad SACD is Billy Cobham’s Spectrum. Masterful quad treatment of a masterpiece.

Tipper - Surrounded, DVD-A 5.1
Interesting that not much is said about this highly discrete surround sound experience. I’m usually more a fan of organic instrumentation, but this electronica extravaganza by British DJ Tipper shouldn’t be missed by QQ members. It totally lives up to its title!

Just did, Fred. Thanks for the poll link! This may seem like a stupid question, but how do you filter polls for a specific artist/title? Before the last reformat, all you had to do was click on the Artist or Title headers to get an alphabetized listing.

good question! tbh i don't know how it all works but i do use the search facility a lot more now, i find its much improved these days and is how i called up the Tipper Poll :)

Back