10 Quad Albums You'd Like Reissued

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I own all but the Elvii and Johnny Russell. What do you object to on the Sly mix? Likely you're aware there are two different Quad mixes of this.

!Bz)!F1QB2k~$(KGrHqV,!iEEw5CeLNHVBM(e6dkye!~~_35.JPG

My Top 5 that would all require remixes would be:
...Sly & The Family Stone - Greatest Hits...

6. Worst of Jefferson Airplane

Just love the song selection, and the Q mix was not too bad either.

7. Edgar Winter - Shock Treatment

Why not, it does have some good tunes in there.

8. Johnny Winter - Still Alive and Well

His most rocking album, a stone classic.

Chicago - Any (ESPECIALLY VII)
Doobies - Any
Jim Croce - Any
Bloomfield Kooper Stills - Super Session
Jefferson Airplane - Volunteers
Raiders - Indian Reservation
Alice Cooper - Muscle Of Love
Steely Dan - Any
America - Any
Beach Boys - Surf's Up (If Possible - and including Sunflower songs, again if possible)

I would like to see most of them reissued on CD in SQ format. Possibly some of the remixed for better seperation.

I would like to see most of them reissued on CD in SQ format. Possibly some of the remixed for better seperation.

I'd much prefer to see a DVD-Audio, Blu-ray or SACD from the quad masters.... Although I'd still take an SQ CD - as I will hopefully soon have a SQ decoder.

Frank Zappa:
Apostrophe(')
Overnite Sensation
One Size Fits All
Billy Cobham Spectrum
Larry Coryell Introducing the Eleventh House

Frank Zappa:
Apostrophe(')
Overnite Sensation
One Size Fits All
Billy Cobham Spectrum
Larry Coryell Introducing the Eleventh House

I'd love a reissue of the Eleventh House quad! Amazing album!

I can't find a conversion (I believe there was a Q-4 Reel as well as Q8 & SQ LP?) so I've no idea if the quad mix is any good but the album is stunning and begs for some sort of surround remix!!

was Spectrum definitively mixed for quad back in the day? I know it was runoured (announced, even?) but never released..

the Spectrum DVDA is not bad at all in 5.1.. fidelity is exceptional.. but its a very centre-heavy surround mix (B.C.'s drums are too narrow in the centre for my liking, though there are some fun pans and effects here and there).

a QQ-er has previously (sorry I can't recall who) suggested lowering the centre channel volume on playback of the "Spectrum" DVDA.. but I just prefer to switch the centre off altogether, which opens the whole thing up nicely while making the drums even more powerful and gutsy! There's Spectrum in quad straightaway! ;)

Quad Linda mentioned Alphone Mouzon's "Mind Transplant" (his answer to Cobham's Spectrum, I guess!?) was rumoured to have been remixed into 5.1 for DVD-A years ago but that never materialised (instead there was a lousy sounding remastered CD! Boo!).. and Warner announced a DVD-A with 5.1 remix of Jean-Luc Ponty's "Cosmic Messenger" at one point too.. and that similarly never happened, sadly..

Spectrum was not only announced as a 70's quad CD-4 title, there was a track from that album that appeared on the WEA European sampler CD-4 LP "Quadraphonic Experience". You can see it on the WB Label Page here at QQ, and I believe there's a thread about that LP somewhere here in the forum.

https://www.quadraphonicquad.com/WB.htm

Spectrum was not only announced as a 70's quad CD-4 title, there was a track from that album that appeared on the WEA European sampler CD-4 LP "Quadraphonic Experience". You can see it on the WB Label Page here at QQ, and I believe there's a thread about that LP somewhere here in the forum.

https://www.quadraphonicquad.com/WB.htm

Thanks Jon, that's excellent info (and a bit depressing knowing there's a quad of that amazing album!)..

I can just make out from the label scan in your link, its "Quadrant 4" from Spectrum on that sampler.. I can only imagine how cool it would sound! :p

I am amazed and disappointed that Spectrum was never released in Quad, given it's popularity. Thanks for the suggestion to lower the center volume for 5.1 playback.
There is a Zappa dvd-a called Quadiopheliac with some tracks that FZ mixed for quad but never got released. That should be re-issued too. I saw someone asking an obscene price for that on Amazon.

Hmmmm....

01 - Court & Spark - Joni Mitchell
02 - Hissing Of Summer Lawns - Joni Mitchell
03 - Any (unreleased) Chicago
04 - Wired - Jeff Beck
05 - Best Of Guess Who (1&2)
06 - Best Of Bread
07 - Conquistador - Maynard Ferguson
08 - Warchild - Jethro Tull
09 - Carpenters - Carpenters/A Song For You
10 - Welcome Back My Friends... - ELP

and for good measure...
11 - Desire - Bob Dylan (in discrete quad please)

One hell of a list, Bob. And it's all stuff that has weathered the test of time.

Hmmmm....

01 - Court & Spark - Joni Mitchell
02 - Hissing Of Summer Lawns - Joni Mitchell
03 - Any (unreleased) Chicago
04 - Wired - Jeff Beck
05 - Best Of Guess Who (1&2)
06 - Best Of Bread
07 - Conquistador - Maynard Ferguson
08 - Warchild - Jethro Tull
09 - Carpenters - Carpenters/A Song For You
10 - Welcome Back My Friends... - ELP

and for good measure...
11 - Desire - Bob Dylan (in discrete quad please)

Great thread...and I still can't get over the fact we actually got to cross Chicago off our lists!!

In no particular order...

1. Aerosmith- Rocks
2. Doobies- Vices/Habits
3. Steely Dan- Countdown To Ecstasy
4. Edgar Winter- They Only Come Out At Night
5. Eagles- One Of These Nights
6. Jackson Browne- Late For The Sky
7. Poco- Seven
8. Carly Simon- Best Of
9. War- World Is A Ghetto
10. Santana I

Also let it be known I would take anything multichannel from any of these artists... these particular titles are just at the top of my list.

I am amazed and disappointed that Spectrum was never released in Quad, given it's popularity. Thanks for the suggestion to lower the center volume for 5.1 playback.
There is a Zappa dvd-a called Quadiopheliac with some tracks that FZ mixed for quad but never got released. That should be re-issued too. I saw someone asking an obscene price for that on Amazon.

And now we can cross the 4 Channel edition of Billy Cobham's Spectrum off the list, courtesy of Audio Fidelity.

BillyCobhamSlipcaseMock.jpg

https://www.quadraphonicquad.com/fo...Multichannel-SACD-(Feb-2016)&highlight=cobham
https://www.quadraphonicquad.com/fo...0-Cobham-Billy-SPECTRUM-SACD&highlight=cobham
https://audiofidelity.net/product/billy-cobham-spectrum

Great thread...and I still can't get over the fact we actually got to cross Chicago off our lists!!

In no particular order...

1. Aerosmith- Rocks
2. Doobies- Vices/Habits
3. Steely Dan- Countdown To Ecstasy
4. Edgar Winter- They Only Come Out At Night
5. Eagles- One Of These Nights
6. Jackson Browne- Late For The Sky
7. Poco- Seven
8. Carly Simon- Best Of
9. War- World Is A Ghetto
10. Santana I

Also let it be known I would take anything multichannel from any of these artists... these particular titles are just at the top of my list.

I have 3, 4, 5, and 10.

I thought I'd cover some less traveled territory -
In no real order:
1. The Cosmic Jokers - The Cosmic Jokers
2. Galactic Supermarket - The Cosmic Jokers
3. Inventions for Electric Guitar - Ash Ra Tempel/Manuel Gottsching
4. From Books & Dreams - Message
5. Dreamlab - Mythos
6. Autobahn - Kraftwerk
7. Tarot - Walter Wegmüller
8. Sound in Motion - Brad Miller
9. Highway One - The Mystic Moods Orchestra
10. In Search of Ancient Gods - Absolute Elsewhere

And lastly my two extra recommendations!
#!!. INTERGALACTIC TROT - STARDRIVE
#!!. The Amazing New Electronic Pop Sounds Of - Jean-Jacques Perrey

And many many many more!

Back