10cc and Godley & Creme / Greatest Hits and More — Fake 5.1?

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Eggplant

1K Club - QQ Shooting Star
Since 2002/2003
2006 DVD From Universal Music Australia.

Sure be nice but I’m not optimistic.

Anyone have this?

https://www.amazon.com/10CC-Godley-Creme-Greatest-Hits/dp/B000KEGDCA

5F56F470-A21C-419B-BD2B-1450855A16C2.jpeg

I've had this one for some time. There is a DTS 5.1 soundtrack (48/24), but sorry to say it's synthesised with little more than ambience in the rears. That's not to say that it sounds bad, just don't expect a surround extravaganza.

There is also a PCM track. The disc's best quality is probably the remastered videos - they scrub up quite a bit better than other compilations from this era. The icing on the cake is the video for The History Mix Part 1 which I didn't know even existed!

Sent from my K5000 using Tapatalk

IThe icing on the cake is the video for The History Mix Part 1 which I didn't know even existed!

I was rather surprised to learn that as well, especially considering its length. Had the History Mix CD on heavy rotation in my life in 1985, though I prefer the single edit of "Cry."

I could rant about the total lack of any surround releases for this bunch, collectively or separately. Their big hits, of course, came too late for quad. Quite the shame, as there could hardly be an act more suited to surround sound, from the spa-like rapture of "I'm Not in Love" through "The Things We Do for Love" and the career-capper "Cry." That track manages to turn the agony of love lost into sonic euphoria. But I won't. Some things, it seems, are just not meant to be.

But you can bet your mortgage if I ever get Graham Gouldman or Eric Stewart alone for a moment I will talk their ears off about it.

This site just keeps on giving!!
Never knew about this DVD. Always liked 10cc, so makes sense to see what's out there.
Saw them at Southampton University way back in 1976..they were in great form. I remember Eric Stewart laughing when he couldn't get one of the high pitch singing notes right.
Rarewaves on Ebay, have it brand new for £12.55.
Just bought a copy.
Cheers Eggplant...(y)
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/10CC-GOD...541136&hash=item4671c3461e:g:TLUAAOSwHNxaKE3D

I've had this one for some time. There is a DTS 5.1 soundtrack (48/24), but sorry to say it's synthesised with little more than ambience in the rears. That's not to say that it sounds bad, just don't expect a surround extravaganza.

There is also a PCM track. The disc's best quality is probably the remastered videos - they scrub up quite a bit better than other compilations from this era. The icing on the cake is the video for The History Mix Part 1 which I didn't know even existed!

i wonder what they synthesised it with.. can't have been any gizmo or process with much phase related trickery since many 10cc and Godley & Creme songs pan out really nicely in PLII Music or thru the Involve mode of the Surround Master.

well i picked this up cheap online this week and while its great to have the videos in watchable quality, from a surround point of view boxhead is right its no surround extravaganza!

tbh its not even an ambient mix, its double stereo with the rears an exact duplicate of the fronts just at a lower level and the Centre has everything from Front L&R lumped in there too at an even lower level than the rears.

what a shame.. another "missed opportunity".. and if ever a group's music were made for surround.. ah, well, all is not totally lost however, for despite the Stereo PCM track being somewhat on the loud side, I ended up just playing the videos back in Stereo thru Dolby Pro Logic II Music instead.. and hey presto, we have some decent semblance of faux surround.. several tracks were pretty impressive in fact, I thought!

I was already familiar with a couple of big hits (The Things We Do For Love & I’m Not In Love) here in the States back when they were popular but it wasn’t until around 2012/13 when I started to amass the 10cc back catalog. They are really a great band! I’ll have to go look at some of their videos on YouTube.

Back