BluRay Music Video Poll WOODSTOCK - 40th Anniversary Edition [Blu-Ray][Dolby TrueHD]

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rate the Blu-Ray of WOODSTOCK (40th Anniversary Edition)

• 9:

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 7:

• 6:

• 5:

• 4:

• 3:

• 2:

• 1: Poor Fidelity, Poor Surround, Poor Content

• Total voters

JonUrban

Forum Curmudgeon
Staff member
Admin
Since 2002/2003
Since it's known more for it's music than it being a film per se, I'm adding this to the HiRez Blu_ray Music Polls.

Attachments

• w1.jpg
    w1.jpg
    99.6 KB · Views: 685
  • w2.jpg
    w2.jpg
    103.2 KB · Views: 665
  • w3.jpg
    w3.jpg
    95 KB · Views: 687
This has a pretty impressive surround track (Dolby TrueHD). I want to hear it a bit more, but it's a seemingly excellent 5.1 mix. Check out the attention grabbing "Sha-na-na" mix on "At the Hop", when the "ah-ah-ah-ah" swirls around the speakers!!! :eek:

Jon, where did you buy your set?

woodstock.jpg

My "bonus disc"looks different, I bought it at target....

btw its amazing! I love it all!

edit. you got yours on amazon....

woodstock.jpg

My "bonus disc" looks different, I bought it at target....

Mine is from Amazon. From what I understand, both Target and Amazon had special bonus discs/tracks - different from each other. :mad:@:

Me too!

WBshop.com asked me to fill out a survey and offered 25% off. Then the next day said "we're sorry we messed up the survey data, would you take it again and we'll give you 30% off coupon code thru 6/30/09. How could I refuse? So I ordered Woodstock Blu Ray for me.

CODE = 30% OFF WBshop.com. coupon code WBSURVEY7 expires 6/30/09

Initially I did not get free shipping, so I added a second disc to get it but then decided to pass on that title for now and moved to wish list. But the free shipping stayed on the order. :smokin:

This has a pretty impressive surround track (Dolby TrueHD). I want to hear it a bit more, but it's a seemingly excellent 5.1 mix. Check out the attention grabbing "Sha-na-na" mix on "At the Hop", when the "ah-ah-ah-ah" swirls around the speakers!!! :eek:

Jon, how is the Blu-ray video quality?

Well, it looks great, however, it's obviously not as sharp as a new release blue ray. However, the natural grain of the film and the quality of the image is quite nice. As you know, the aspect ratio jumps all over the place, but on scenes like the CSN "Suite Judy Blue Eyes", the video looks better than it did on my Laserdisc box set. (Now worth about 14 cents)

Well, it looks great, however, it's obviously not as sharp as a new release blue ray.

The material on the bonus disc is significantly better looking than the actual movie. I was really confused by that at first, but after I thought about it I realized that the bonus material is probably right off 16mm OCNs that have been untouched in the vault. The movie itself was blown up to 35mm and went though who-knows-how-many generations to do all the effects back in less technologically advanced times.

No discrete surround on the bonus stuff, though...unless I did something wrong.

woodstock.jpg

My "bonus disc"looks different, I bought it at target....

edit. you got yours on amazon....

For those of us who haven't bought the Blu-Ray edition yet, which set of extras is the one to go for - Target or Amazon ?

I believe the difference is simply in which music acts and songs are included on the respective extra DVD. I did a Google and found the lists for each of them...sorry, don't recall the site....the Amazon list was more to my liking but tastes vary. Sorry no definitive answer there, but they are identical except for the bonus disc playlist. Surely someone else will post those in order to have it in this thread??? John S.

Correction to myself...18 bonus performances (all in common on Amazon or Target) 3 additional "exclusive" performances. Amazon was supposed to have Jefferson Airplane "Volunteers", Country Joe's "Not So Sweet Martha Lorraine" and Grateful Dead "Mama Tried". Target has 3 different songs as exclusives....was supposed to be a Canned Heat song, The Who's "Sparks" and one more. A check of Ebay shows that the Target version is already rife wife speculators...."Rare-Only 25,000 Made!" "No Longer Available!", etc.
Of course, the packaging is also different...fringed leather versus a drum. Hope that helps, feel free to correct. :mad:@: John S.

Lastly (I swear!) .... for those who can't get enough Woodstock this Summer, I just noticed that there are 2 disc sets of CDs coming out on featured Woodstock performers, generally a period LP and their complete WS performance....Hendrix, Airplane, Janis Joplin, Santana, Sly Stone and Johnny Winters show up as pre-orders. Not multi-channel unfortunately, but hopefully of some value to someone. John S.

Here's My Review

8: The video is subpar obviously. The surround mix is not much either, except maybe Star Spangled Banner, Hey where is the Hendrix Woodstock bluray poll?

Last edited:
As Woodstock was shot on 16mm [and BTW, Martin Scorsese was one of the camera operators] and the conditions under which the on spot audio recordings were made were less than Optimal, the 3 disc BD~V version which was available a few years ago for under $10* [including the Director's Cut] is remarkable. A separate disc with full performances NOT included in the original motion picture are amazing bonuses and although I have not waded through ALL of the extras, I award this set a 10.

*edit: I just checked my AmazonUS order from 2016, and the set BRAND NEW was actually $5 w/free Prime s/h! IMO, an ASTRONOMICAL BARGAIN!!!!

Last edited:
Back