12 new SACDs from Dutton Vocalion in January 2019

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
- "how do you think he does it?"
- "i don't know!"
- "what makes him so good?"

you say "Tomita" and i say "Tormato"! :p tbh i've never bought a Tomita SACD but i will now, to support the cause!

why!?
...because because because because because of the Wonderful Wizard Of Watford (and the wonderful things he does)! :SB

he's the DV Wizard,
there has to be a twist,
the DV Wizards' got such a supple wrist!

he's scoring more....
he's scoring mooooooooooorrrrrrrre...!!!!!!
WOOOOOO!!!

long live the DV Wizard with his supple wrist! :QQlove

ahem. long day. time for a V&OJ.:coffee:

VSOP, but later, ya know other side of the world:giggle:

Tomita.
I've purchased my share of DV discs in the past, and this thread makes me curious of just what process DV goes through from purchase fees, master quad tapes to finished product, since they seem to pump these out at a relative rapid pace? Anyone care to enlighten me on this - say, "From The End Of The World?";)

MUNCHKINS:ROFLMAO:slaving 24/7 in the hot, dank bowels of ye Wizard's Watford UK dungeons living on flac seeds and porridge and an occasional swill of prickly pear ale:devilish:

tumblr_mb7dk00c4j1rdutw3o1_400.gif

while they haven't put out any hard rock Quads to date (one might say there aren't too many to draw from in the first instance) DV have done MultiCh SACDs of the Quads of acts such as Chase, Garfunkel, Guess Who, Poco, Pure Prairie League, Return To Forever, Rick Derringer, Weather Report etc., that could all come under a "Rock & Pop" umbrella and slot into some sub genre of Rock, whether that be classified as Country Rock (Poco, Pure Prairie League) or Fusion (Chase, Return To Forever, Weather Report), Folk Rock (Art Garfunkel), Rock & Roll (Derringer) and Classic Rock (Guess Who).

as much as I'd love for them to do the Aerosmith, Alice Cooper, Frank Zappa, James Gang, Jefferson Airplane, Joe Walsh, Santana type stuff I can't see it happening.. but I do think a few Rock surprises could still be possible, such as the other Blue Öyster Cult Quad, the Mountain Quads, the West,Bruce & Laing Quads, Azteca, Argent and maybe the various Edgar & Johnny Winter Quads.. i don't know but 2019 could be interesting if DV keep mixing it up with a variety of genres as they have done the last couple of years.. a case of watch this space, I guess!
What were the titles for the Guess Who & Derringer? If you could post the links for those 2 items, I'd appreciate it....I'm sure others would as well :)

Well I am in on the Tomita and Dr. Teleny (I have the Q4). I had the rare Tomita CD-4 from RCA that was imported from Japan. As for the others, I will have to ponder purchase. I'm really not a big fan of Easy Listening or early country. I do have the earlier DV easy listening releases, but rarely play them. Still, I am glad to see them being released as this will save them from the dust bin.
+1

Sent from my TA-1025 using Tapatalk
and another +1, the Tomita is a definite so ordered.

For those that don't remember or were not born yet, the Tomita title that D-V is releasing was a Japan-only 1979 CD-4 Quadradisc, presumably that came to fruition to capitalize on the track "Bolero", which had taken the USA by storm as it was featured in the movie '10' with Bo Derek. If you've never seen the movie, as I recall that whenever her character heard that song she, um, got into a mood that . . . well, I haven't seen that movie in a long long long time. Maybe I should watch it again.

Anyway, the CD-4 was sold in the US by RCA as an almost special order. They slapped a US Quadradisc sticker on the Japanese pressing with a US pressing number (CPD1-3412) on the sticker only. These were in very short supply and commanded a premium in a few short years after release.

In 1979, a CD-4 release was a true rarity. The last regular RCA CD-4 releases were in 1976, and that was only 10 titles. Two years later a buzz was created in the quad community when RCA released Tomita's "Kosmos" album as a Quadradisc. In this case, there was an actual USA pressing as well as the Japanese LP. We all figured this would be the final Quadradisc from RCA. So when "Bolero" was announced a year + later, it was even more remarkable, and remember, back then the "Quad Community" was basically newsletters and snail mail among fans.

Getting this on an SACD is pretty special. (steelydave's liners notes should be fun to read on this one)

Tomita.jpg

Last edited:
There isn't much for me here, but the Fiedler album has some interest - Up Up and Away is going to be mostly cheese, but the excerpts from "Fiedler's Choice" are much more interesting (the name is a baseball pun for those not in the know). It's the whole album except for Shostakovich's Incidental Music from Hamlet, which is the last 20 minutes of the LP. The Shostakovich is available on this OOP CD (and on streaming):

51gXQlLch%2BL.jpg

The Glazunov Carnaval Overture is also on that disc. The Porgy and Bess Suite has only been released on CD once as I can tell, and is also out of print:

41HJ1JWNGCL.jpg

The Boston Pops March has never been issued on CD as far as I can tell. This seems like a must-buy for me, even if I don't care as much about the pop stuff that's the first half.

And the Schedrin version of Carmen was issued as a quad LP by RCA...seems a prime target for DV.

For those that don't remember or were not born yet, the Tomita title that D-V is releasing was a Japan-only 1979 CD-4 Quadradisc, presumably that came to fruition to capitalize on the track "Bolero",...

In 1979, a CD-4 release was a true rarity. The last regular RCA CD-4 releases were in 1976, and that was only 10 titles. Two years later a buzz was created in the quad community when RCA released Tomita's "Kosmos" album as a Quadradisc. In this case, there was an actual USA pressing as well as the Japanese LP. We all figured this would be the final Quadradisc from RCA. So when "Bolero" was announced a year + later, it was even more remarkable, and remember, back then the "Quad Community" was basically newsletters and snail mail among fans.

Jon, you're missing the link between Kosmos (which had cd4, quad reel and quad 8 track release in USA) and the Daphnis CD4:
The Bermuda Triangle.
That too was a Jap-cd4-only release.

There isn't much for me here, but the Fiedler album has some interest - Up Up and Away is going to be mostly cheese, but the excerpts from "Fiedler's Choice" are much more interesting (the name is a baseball pun for those not in the know). It's the whole album except for Shostakovich's Incidental Music from Hamlet, which is the last 20 minutes of the LP. The Shostakovich is available on this OOP CD (and on streaming):

51gXQlLch%2BL.jpg

The Glazunov Carnaval Overture is also on that disc. The Porgy and Bess Suite has only been released on CD once as I can tell, and is also out of print:

41HJ1JWNGCL.jpg

The Boston Pops March has never been issued on CD as far as I can tell. This seems like a must-buy for me, even if I don't care as much about the pop stuff that's the first half.

And the Schedrin version of Carmen was issued as a quad LP by RCA...seems a prime target for DV.

Looking at the track listing, I'm not sure if the second part is in quad? Maybe just bonus stereo?

Fiedler's Choice
LP LSC 3130 (1970) STEREO
BONUS TRACKS
12. Boston Pops March (Gold)
13. A Symphonic Picture of Porgy and Bess (Gershwin; Bennett)
14. Carnaval Overture, Op. 45 (Glazunov)

shame these won't be under our trees in time for Christmas but still i'm always up for a bit of Charlie Rich so i'll be getting the Silver Fox's 2-fer regardless (mainly for Very Special Love Songs which has some good tunes on it and the mix is typical CBS active) but I do hope DV do his other albums someday, especially Behind Closed Doors and Every Time You Touch Me I Get High, the Quad mixes are great and the albums are absolutely wonderful.. ah well, not moaning, thankful for what we're getting just a case of always wanting more Oppo food! nom nom nom! :LB

Back