12 new SACDs from Dutton Vocalion in January 2019

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
For those that don't remember or were not born yet, the Tomita title that D-V is releasing was a Japan-only 1979 CD-4 Quadradisc, presumably that came to fruition to capitalize on the track "Bolero", which had taken the USA by storm as it was featured in the movie '10' with Bo Derek. If you've never seen the movie, as I recall that whenever her character heard that song she, um, got into a mood that . . . well, I haven't seen that movie in a long long long time. Maybe I should watch it again.

Anyway, the CD-4 was sold in the US by RCA as an almost special order. They slapped a US Quadradisc sticker on the Japanese pressing with a US pressing number (CPD1-3412) on the sticker only. These were in very short supply and commanded a premium in a few short years after release.

In 1979, a CD-4 release was a true rarity. The last regular RCA CD-4 releases were in 1976, and that was only 10 titles. Two years later a buzz was created in the quad community when RCA released Tomita's "Kosmos" album as a Quadradisc. In this case, there was an actual USA pressing as well as the Japanese LP. We all figured this would be the final Quadradisc from RCA. So when "Bolero" was announced a year + later, it was even more remarkable, and remember, back then the "Quad Community" was basically newsletters and snail mail among fans.

Getting this on an SACD is pretty special. (steelydave's liners notes should be fun to read on this one)

View attachment 37025

I remember that movie to , Jon , full of well endowed Bo Derek (10) , but the Bolero song is a must hear in quad as I believe it's an incredible mix , quite showy.

And your correct in that that CD-4 Japanese album became exclusive and quite rare rather quick.

All good reasons not to pass up the purchase of this quad SACD. In my opinion , I recommend this quad SACD very highly, a must buy for all quadraphiles and surround enthusiasts.

For those that don't remember or were not born yet, the Tomita title that D-V is releasing was a Japan-only 1979 CD-4 Quadradisc, presumably that came to fruition to capitalize on the track "Bolero", which had taken the USA by storm as it was featured in the movie '10' with Bo Derek. If you've never seen the movie, as I recall that whenever her character heard that song she, um, got into a mood that . . . well, I haven't seen that movie in a long long long time. Maybe I should watch it again.

Anyway, the CD-4 was sold in the US by RCA as an almost special order. They slapped a US Quadradisc sticker on the Japanese pressing with a US pressing number (CPD1-3412) on the sticker only. These were in very short supply and commanded a premium in a few short years after release.

In 1979, a CD-4 release was a true rarity. The last regular RCA CD-4 releases were in 1976, and that was only 10 titles. Two years later a buzz was created in the quad community when RCA released Tomita's "Kosmos" album as a Quadradisc. In this case, there was an actual USA pressing as well as the Japanese LP. We all figured this would be the final Quadradisc from RCA. So when "Bolero" was announced a year + later, it was even more remarkable, and remember, back then the "Quad Community" was basically newsletters and snail mail among fans.

Getting this on an SACD is pretty special. (steelydave's liners notes should be fun to read on this one)

View attachment 37025

Checking this out on YT and loving it, will pick it up along with a few overs I haven't got yet such as Bartok and the latest Weather Report

Any other Tomita (quad / surround) recommendations? I know The Planets is out there but not sure what else

Checking this out on YT and loving it, will pick it up along with a few overs I haven't got yet such as Bartok and the latest Weather Report

Any other Tomita (quad / surround) recommendations? I know The Planets is out there but not sure what else

you just can't go wrong with Tomita..
ANY RELEASE will blow your socks off.. the "Snowflakes are Dancing " one is a favorite of mine

As I mentioned earlier in this thread all of these quads are a must buy for me.
For my tastes, top billing has to go to Mancini. When he was in town, I would always make an effort to go to his concerts. One of the most memorial concerts for me was the "Tent" concert at the North Park Mall in Dallas.

From my recollection and more importantly the Surround Discography and excluding the Japan only CD4s we are down to these 4 titles: Best, Best Vol 2, The Concert Sound Of, and Mancini Salutes Sousa.
This would make a great couple of 2-fers. Lets hope DV finishes off Mancini this year.

Looking at the track listing, I'm not sure if the second part is in quad? Maybe just bonus stereo?

Fiedler's Choice
LP LSC 3130 (1970) STEREO
BONUS TRACKS
12. Boston Pops March (Gold)
13. A Symphonic Picture of Porgy and Bess (Gershwin; Bennett)
14. Carnaval Overture, Op. 45 (Glazunov)
Maybe? In the past this has always been a new Michael Dutton quad mix, though.

Personally , from my quad experience listening to all those 70's Tomita's in CD-4 back when.......they're all very good .
Excellent use of the (quadrant) surround channels .

Musically Snowflakes which is his first RCA/JVC is very good (as pointed out by cap'n) , but then it tends to get even better with each subsequent quad release.

My faves are the above mentioned plus Planets , Kosmos , Bermuda Triangle , and Daphnis et Chloe .

Interestingly there seems to have been 2 or 3 versions of Planets Japanese releases ,2 in SACD, and and 2003 DVDA on Denon .

I'm hoping there are more Tomita quads to come from D.V.

I think Tomita 's album of Grofe's Grand Canyon Suite might be an unreleased quad .
Tomita was a major quad and surround promoter fwiw. Recording most of his works in quad and surround , and committing to recording his catalogue in quad early on throughout the 70's .(perhaps beyond)

Looking at the track listing, I'm not sure if the second part is in quad? Maybe just bonus stereo?

Fiedler's Choice
LP LSC 3130 (1970) STEREO
BONUS TRACKS
12. Boston Pops March (Gold)
13. A Symphonic Picture of Porgy and Bess (Gershwin; Bennett)
14. Carnaval Overture, Op. 45 (Glazunov)

It could be stereo or ......an unreleased quad version.

Arthur Fiedler had quite a few quads back in the day , not just albums , but he had a nationally syndicated Live From The Pops at Tanglewood in Boston , a program broadcast in quad (supplied to the listening stations preference of either SQ and QS quad matrix)
It was upported by the Boston Symphony Trust which ran throughout the 70's and maybe early 80's as well.

Would it be possible for DV to get the rights to some BBC Rock Hour quad broadcasts? Silverline had some and totally screwed them up.

They did have a small number of BBC shows, but were they quad broadcasts from the BEEB..........? as I thought they only had the poorly presented KING BISCUIT FLOWER HOUR DVDA'S (Live From The Front Row)........ which were originally quad broadcasts.

I have a tape of the 10cc Biscuit. Same show as the Silverline, but they stripped the SQ off of it and fake 5.1ed the stereo track. My tape, however, decodes just fine. DV could do wonders with it. Kinks' Soap Opera broadcast is also great quad (Ray even talks about it being in quad during the broadcast).

View attachment 37025

gotta say, the end of your post got me thinking Jon.. i wonder if there are liner notes included in any titles in this new batch.. and if so if they are by our man steelydave.
i noticed he hasn't written a new blog entry for DV's website, as he has done for previous batches... anyhow, we'll find out soon either way!

gotta say, the end of your post got me thinking Jon.. i wonder if there are liner notes included in any titles in this new batch.. and if so if they are by our man steelydave.
i noticed he hasn't written a new blog entry for DV's website, as he has done for previous batches... anyhow, we'll find out soon either way!

You may be on to something Adam...his last post on here was in Sept and it wasn't a "happy" post...and I can relate to his feelings about some of these posts...especially in his case when he's involved...

You may be on to something Adam...his last post on here was in Sept and it wasn't a "happy" post...and I can relate to his feelings about some of these posts...especially in his case when he's involved...

oh crikey.. i wouldn't read into my witterings too much, i'm always putting two and two together and making five point one.. but i hadn't realised it had been that long since he last popped by! i hope he comes back soon and posts some more cool stuff!
if i were him i'd make writing about music a full-time gig. maybe that's what he's doing, locked up in his study writing a book or something.. i mean, who else today is writing about our hobby with more enthusiasm and knowledge! come back steelydave all is forbidden! forgotten! forgiven! four channel! err.. what were we talking about again!? :ROFLMAO:

As much as I’ve tried to support D-V as much as I can, I can’t get behind most of these titles.

I’m very happy for all of you who will love these. For me, I’ll probably pick up the Tomita and maybe the Charlie Rich.
I'm in the same boat. Definitely in for Tomita, possibly for Charlie Rich.

Back