Quad LP/Tape Poll Campbell, Glen/Jimmy Webb: Reunion [Q8]

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rate "Reunion"

• 10: Great sound, mix, music

Votes: 0 0.0%

• 5 Fairly mediocre everything

• 1: Why did they bother?

• Total voters

EMB

2K Club - QQ Super Nova
Since 2002/2003
Capitol Q8W-11336, from 1974.

Program 1:

1. Roll Me Easy
2. Just This One Time
3. You Might As Well Smile
4. Wishing Now
5. About The Ocean

Program 2:

1. Ocean In His Eyes
2. The Moon's A Harsh Mistress
3. I Keep It Hid
4. Adoration
5. It's A Sin

ED :)

This is really lovely! When I think of Glen Campbell, the first songs that come to mind ("Galveston," "Wichita Lineman," "By the Time I Get to Phoenix") are all written by Jimmy Webb, so I'm already predisposed to like this one. Interesting, of the 10 songs on this Q8, only 8 are written by Webb, but all of the songs are arranged by Webb. Interesting, the two songs that don't feel like the others ("Roll Me Easy" by Lowell George and "About the Ocean" by Susan Webb) are the ones Jimmy Webb didn't pen.

The mix is very tasteful--nothing fancy, but very respectful of Campbell's vocals, which are very respectful of Webb's lyrics. Not to disregard the opening George track (an uptempo entre to the song-cycle) or "About the Ocean," (a down-tempo song of loss) but the Jimmy Webb songs are mostly of a kind: mid-tempo, introspective, contemplative, compact, delicate, sophisticated; and Campbell clearly reveres Webb as a songwriter, his exquisite interpretations really bringing out the emotions with the help of Webb's lush and tasteful arrangements, strings swelling from the rears at appropriate moments.

The only Webb-penned song I knew coming in is "The Moon's a Harsh Mistress." The songs are universally excellent, and I have a feeling they will reveal more on subsequent listens. This is the kind of album that demands my attention, and so far, that attention is being rewarded! Highly recommended! For now, it's a 9. I'll check back after a few more listens.

Back