HiRez Poll Frank Valdor - HOT NIGHTS IN RIO [DVD-A]

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rate the DVD-Audio of Frank Valdor - HOT NIGHTS IN RIO

• 9:

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 8:

• 6:

• 5:

• 4:

• 3:

• 2:

• 1: Poor Surround, Poor Fidelity, Poor Content

• Total voters

JonUrban

Forum Curmudgeon
Staff member
Admin
Since 2002/2003
Please post your thoughts and comments on this DVD-Audio release from Germany on the "Quadro-Surround" Label.

(n):phones(y)

quadro-1 front.jpg
quadro-1 back.jpg
quadro-1 disc.jpg

This is a new release from Germany, on the "Quadro-Surround" Label, which is project from the German base "Quadro Surround" group, headed by QQ Member Dietrich.

Dietrich kindly sent me an advance copy of this DVD-A to listen to. So, I took it along in the car with me today to give it a spin. First off, let me just say that I am not a big "Latin Music" fan, and if this disc were stereo I probably would never have listened to it at all. Hey, I'm old and set in my ways! :)

So I popped it in and headed out, not knowing what to expect. Well, let me just say that this is one hell of a surround sound presentation. If you like your surround maxed out, very discrete, with pin-point direction and a huge surround field, this disc is spectacular. The surround mix is really spread out and sounds, instruments and voices are coming at you from all around. The music is excellent as well. I don't know much about Latin music, but this is not some hack outfit, these are pros and you can tell right off the bat.

Listening to this disc reminded me of some of the Enoch Light Project 3 discs of the '70s, only with a lot more life. There are percussion sounds that spin around the sound field at times, harmony vocals nestled into each channel, clear guitars and brass that can be isolated with your ear. Because the band is so large, it fits the surround spread perfectly. Like I said, it's not my type of music, and I cannot honestly say that I'll play it a lot, but if you want some super surround and are into Latin music, or just want something to play at a party, this is the disc for you.

For surround I have to give it a 10. For fidelity a 10 as well. The content is very good, it's just not my style. I hope some of you seek this disc out, because I'd love to hear what you think of it.

This is a GREAT JOB by Dietrich and his group, and I'm very proud of them. I hope he gets the support he deserves.

I give it a 10 especely for the surround mix
and the fidelity as well
The music is interesting and there are very funny effects that shows how good quadraphonic music can sound

Norman

Disclaimers:
I am NOT the audiophile expert that most here are. I'll probably use wrong terms here and there, but you'll get the idea.

Two part review:

Music:
Unlike Mr. Urban, I VERY much enjoy Latin/Brazilian/Afro-Cuban music. This album was right up my alley musically, with great selections, arrangements, and an outstanding level of musicianship! Every instrument was played beautifully.
Score:10

Mix/Recording:
Also unlike Mr. Urban, I was disappointed with the surround aspect. My usual setting is "2 clicks" to the rears, but even upping that to 4 clicks didn't offer much in the way of 'expanded sound field' in that direction. It was more noticeable on some selections than others, but my experience was basically of a widened front stereo effect, and a near decent spread to the sides. I thought perhaps I'm just not used to Dolby, but Jon's review has me wondering if I might have a less than perfect disc? For example, the first song had to be cranked to #22 on the volume just to hear it (normally set at 10). Subsequent songs were louder but still had to be cranked to the 18-19 level. Or if not the disc, perhaps something about my system didn't play nicely?
For the record (no pun intended), I too listened to this in my car:
Lexicon Logic7 7.1, 17 speakers.
Score:5

Overall score: 7

Last edited:
Lexicon Logic7 7.1
To me, unless its changed since I last heard Logic7 back in 2004 (via an $1,100 Harman/Kardon receiver), Logic7 is a processor similar to DPLII or DTS:Neo and is usually used with stereo sources to convert them to multichannel "surround" form.

But with multichannel sources, IF Logic7 behaves like DPLII and unless some other option in the system's set-up menu is chosen, it should just be processing the left & right rear channel signals into left side+left back and right side+right back channels.

That being said.......there are others here that know more than me about this matter, but there is the possibility that the use of 7 channels i.e. seven speaker systems for the playback of a four channel mix, or the Logic7 processing system itself, could be distorting the intended surround soundfield of the mix on the disc, a mix that was built-up in a studio using a four channel system.

It appears your system is treating the disc as stereo and processing the front left/right for 7.1.

Here is the Lexicon Logic 7 description from the Hyundai site:

Lexicon® 7.1 Discrete Logic 7® Surround Sound system with 17 speakers

• Front door tweeter ×2
• Front door midrange ×2
• Front door woofer ×2
• Rear door tweeter ×2
• Rear door woofer ×2

• Rear deck midrange ×2
• Rear deck tweeter ×2
• Subwoofer ×1
• Center speaker ×1
• Center tweeter ×1

A multi-channel audio processing system that converts all stereo sources into 7.1 channel playback architectures. Listeners in every seat will experience a consistent soundstage with greater ambience to complement the original sound track.

Discrete Logic 7 extends the Lexicon system capability to include 5.1-channel source material from DVD/DVD-A/DTS CD media. Expanding 5.1 recordings into a 7.1 playback provides improved staging and clarity particularly beneficial to rear seat passengers.

Mix/Recording:
Also unlike Mr. Urban, I was disappointed with the surround aspect. My usual setting is "2 clicks" to the rears, but even upping that to 4 clicks didn't offer much in the way of 'expanded sound field' in that direction. It was more noticeable on some selections than others, but my experience was basically of a widened front stereo effect, and a near decent spread to the sides. I thought perhaps I'm just not used to Dolby, but Jon's review has me wondering if I might have a less than perfect disc? For example, the first song had to be cranked to #22 on the volume just to hear it (normally set at 10). Subsequent songs were louder but still had to be cranked to the 18-19 level. Or if not the disc, perhaps something about my system didn't play nicely?
For the record (no pun intended), I too listened to this in my car:
Lexicon Logic7 7.1, 17 speakers.
Score:5

Overall score: 7

Hmmm. I found it to be *very* discrete. I hear distinct positioning of instruments and sounds that travel around the room at times.

If you can, download and listen to the DTS samples I posted and see if they have the same sound field as the playback on your system. Maybe there is something that's messing with the signal.

The samples can be found here: https://www.quadraphonicquad.com/QuadroSurround/

Thanks all for the feedback. Per request, I gave Dietrich a detailed report via PM.
For the record, this is the first DVD-A that my car system hasn't handled flawlessly. All other discs, be they Rhino 4 channel or 5.1 Porcupine Tree or Monster releases play perfectly. So hell if I know what's different about this one. There's just something about it my system doesn't like.
Thx again.

Chiburb -

I have this disc and must attest that it is extremely discrete. It must be your system.

Chiburb -

I have this disc and must attest that it is extremely discrete. It must be your system.

OK! I'm convinced!
Still very strange that it's only this disc, but 60 million Elvis fans can't be wrong!

I had the stereo LP at home, maybe because Tropicana sound made me curious, but never listened to it I must admit. But now hearing the surround mix from Dietrich I must say the music is much better than I thought it would be and of course the mix is spectacular but at the same time very enjoyable and not just ping-pong at all. Get it while you can!

Back