16 bit 48K DTS track to DVD

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

georgeshannon

701 Club - QQ All-Star
I have the subject DTS file that I'm trying to burn to DVD. I've tried Roxio, Ulead, DVD Arcitect, and Vegas without success. They seem to only recognize wave files for importing.

What am I doing wrong, or is there another DVD creation application I need to use? Maybe only Minnetonka brand DVD creators work with their DTS files?

Any help would be appreciated.

George.
Is the file a true .dts or .cpt file, or a DTS-WAV file??
If a true DTS file then it needs to be authored into a DVD-Video disc, or else demuxed into 6 mono WAV files, downsampled to 44.1 and then re-encoded to a DTS-WAV file.
This will cause generational loss.

Neil,
The file is a true .dts file. I can't seem to figure how to author it into a DVD-Video disc using any of the applications I mentioned previously. I thought this would be obvious but was surprised to be stumped as to how to accomplish this. The answer is probably as plain as the nose on my face but right now I can't figure it out. Thanks for your assistance.

I read up on authoring DTS files into video DVD here:
http://www.dtsonline.com/media/uploads/pdfs/DVD_Authoring.pdf
and realize now that the tools I was attempting to use would not import a .dts or a .cpt file. My best solution is to re-encode to 16 bit 48K .wav which I can import to a video DVD using available applications.

Guess the solution was not so obvious as I originally thought. Takes some professional grade software to do what I was attempting to do. I do need to burn to DVD because my file length exceeds the capacity of a CD.

Thanks again,
George

I've had some luck using "Music DVD Creator" v1.0. From what I've read it does support DTS if you use a .cpt file - though they don't state DTS support. That didn't work for me so I renamed my .dts (16/48) file to .wav and had it author the disc. It worked! Can't promise you success, but may be worth a try.

If you want to get this onto a DVD-V, you must use an application that supports DTS audio.
I can think of 4 off the top of my head for PC:
Sonic Scenarist
Media Chance Labs DVD-Lab Pro
Adobe EncoreDVD 2
Spruce Maestro
On the Mac, you have DVDSP only. I have absolutely no idea at all if Sony's DVD-Architect supports DTS or not.

When authoring, you need to be certain the player - indeed, the authoring application itself - will allow you to create a disc with just DTS audio, as this is off-spec. (DTS is optional, not mandated)
I know you can do this with DVD-Lab Pro, but do not know about the others. EncoreDVD will tell you the disc has problems, so will DVD-Lab, but will allow you to write it anyway.

Perhaps the easiest way is to decode the DTS stream back to 6 mono WAV files, and use the incredibly cheap (US$35!!) Cirlinca DVD-Audio Solo application to author a DVD-A disc instead.
If you run a google search for a freeware utility called "Tranzcode", you can easily decode the DTS bitsream to WAV files. Then all you need to do is drop them into Cirlinca and hit the "GO" button.

Back