16 Horsepower - Secret South (DVD-A)

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

haikubass

Do you remember any other DVD-A being distributed with vinyl version of the title (see the picture on the right)? Also, the disc comes in paper window sleeve with no info whatsoever. Has anyone bought the CD+DVD-A edition? Would like to know what I am missing...
The disc has two tracklists: 48/24 LPCM and 5.1 DD - that's it.
As for the mix, it seems pretty discreet judging by the first three songs - will report back after more spins.
picture.php

Last edited:
Just bought the CD+DVD-A edition. Firstly, the music is top rate. A sort of "Southern Country Rock" style with a bit of banjo, soaring guitars, crisp acoustic guitars, down and dirty sounding guitars, Gypsy sounding violin, deep resonating cello, nice keys, big bass and drums, this thing has a lot going on. Not all a once of course. Lots of brooding well structured songs. The mix is strangely discrete however a bit like NY "Harvest" where it puts you further forward or centre in the room. They seem to have taken bold decisions on the placement of some instruments and vocals (I know one song at least which has just a lead vocal isolated on the centre). Overall though the sides seem to get the same info as the fronts at equal levels and then some nice little discrete emanations into your core or central position. It all works(y). Overall a nice package so what the bloody hell are you waiting for?. Support DVD-A. Go get it;)

Last edited:
The mix is strangely discrete however a bit like NY "Harvest" where it puts you further forward or centre in the room. They seem to have taken bold decisions on the placement of some instruments and vocals (I know one song at least which has just a lead vocal isolated on the centre).
What can I add? Exactly my feelings. Meanwhile, I got sucked in by the remasters of Nick Cave's first four albums for comparison, and 16 HP definitely stand tall here.

So yes, go get it, even when there is no hi-res stereo mix on this one. And take Lilium - Short Stories (rhythm section's side project) DVD-A as well if you like what you hear - not exactly the same as for the style, but definitely for its nature and overall attitude...

Beached, how does the packaging of the CD+DVD-A combo look like?

Last edited:
Haikubass, thanks for putting me on to this with your list for 2009. I will get that other DVD-A disc as well if its anyway connected to these guys.
The package folds out to 3 storage plates. 2 digipaks and one ...... hang on. Its just the same as the schmiko Nick Cave covers. Comes with the alternativetentacles catalog, a sticker of some guy called Wesley Willis 1963-2003, 8 page booklet and some sort of card that you can redeem @ dropcards.com. I will try to post some scans if you require.

Overall though the sides seem to get the same info as the fronts at equal levels and then some nice little discrete emanations into your core or central position.
If the sides (rears, right?) are getting the same info as the fronts then that would imply non-discreteness. Just curious about your choice of words here. Overall how discrete is the mix?

If the sides (rears, right?) are getting the same info as the fronts then that would imply non-discreteness. Just curious about your choice of words here. Overall how discrete is the mix?

It is a discrete mix but different in that the rears/sides are getting as much work to do as the fronts with centre being used extensively, mainly for isolated vocals. Each song seems to have a slightly different setup as if there were 3 or 4 people sharing the mixing duties(only one credited) but there is this constant adherence to the principle of using all five speakers equally. So we can start out with the lead vocal, drums, droning guitar say sharing the centre and sides while fronts just doing keys and drums then those side vocals might stop and narrow to the centre only while the sides pick up another vocal to harmonise and then a lovely great big resonating cello will appear in the left front corner. There seems little attention to the usual stereo principle here, that has been torn up. ie no hard L/R with predictable flourishes of stuff to the sides. This mix probably could be described as a subtle "Back and Forth" mix rather than "Side to Side" Hey this is doing my head in. It is no way a Silverline or CJ-Whites Off Earth Now anemic mix but it ain't quite as triangular as the Medeski disc either. Hope that helps. I gotta have a Bex and lie down now :mad:@:. This album is really growing on me. Just go get it. You can sue me if you don't like it.

Last edited:
Can't find this in DVD-A. Just CD or DVD. Any ideas.

I was just about to post the link here. This seems to be the only DVD-A release on the Glitterhouse label - apparently the disc is in stock here for $13 plus shipping.

The menu isn't that sparse - apart from 48/24 LPCM mentioned above the DVD-V portion carries 48/16 stereo (complete with 3 bonus tracks), 5.1 DD & 5.1 dts mix.

Bob Ferbrache is credited for 5.1 mix & mastering - is it the same guy who mixed 16 HP?

Enjoy!

4026244791_13604ac5cc_o.jpg

Last edited:
fun ordering that from that link !!

seemed to think i was based in germany no matter what changes i made !!

Looks like i fixed it plenty of back up notes.

looking forward to something new to listen to !!!

Hello, Ordered the 16 HP from Newbury Comics and Lilium from Amazon (Searched "Lilium DVD" via Amazon for Glitterhouse version). Lilium listed as an NTSC, but won't matter if it's PAL (have the OPPO!). Didn't want to go the Euro dollar route. Thanks for the recommendation all!

Folks...the Lilium album was released in the USA as a CD+DVD-A. After doing a bit of research (this was before there was mention of a separate DVD-A only release from haikubass), I took a chance on a mysterious 2 disc version of the album here, hoping I guessed correctly and found this CD+DVD-A release.

Well...the album arrived today from importcds in factory sealed new condition for $13.96 shipped, but I saw no DVD-A logo, no promotional stickers saying something like "includes a 5.1 surround sound version of the album!", nothing! However, I did notice the 2CD spine to the jewel case, so I took the plastic off and indeed, disc 1 is a CD and disc 2 is the 5.1 DVD-A, complete with DVD-A logo. I even popped it into the Denon to make sure...and voila...DVD-A and 5.1! They certainly didn't promote it on the album inserts, that's for sure.

So, if you decide to pull the trigger from the link above, don't be nervous when you see no indication of the DVD-A until you open up the case. Also, I did verify that my copy also has a DVD-V side with DD and DTS 5.1 mixes, 48/16 stereo, and the three bonus tracks, so it appears essentially identical to the Glitterhouse release.

Hope this helps,
Josh

I now have both the 16 HP disc and the Lilium disc certanly not well publicised for such great discs.

The 16 HP disc edges it for me just but thanks again to the good peeps here for letting me know about something new and availble.

Hello, Thanks HAIKUBASS for letting everyone know about this. This is fantastic Alt-Country. And a rather deep, rich recording all the better heard in 5.1. If you enjoy this genre of music, you should order this before they run out- STAT!. As mentioned elsewhere, the Lillium release, whilst similar, is a slight notch below 16 HP, musically. Thanks.

Hello, Thanks HAIKUBASS for letting everyone know about this. This is fantastic Alt-Country. And a rather deep, rich recording all the better heard in 5.1. If you enjoy this genre of music, you should order this before they run out- STAT!. As mentioned elsewhere, the Lillium release, whilst similar, is a slight notch below 16 HP, musically. Thanks.

Guys, you're all welcome.

I have to admit that I've became a bit addicted to those two releases when trying to compare them and come up with words that would describe the experience best. I think I don't have to worry anymore now - let music (and purchases:) do the talking!

I think I am gonna re-purchase the 16HP CD+DVD-A combo myself...:rolleyes:

Back