Quad LP/Tape Poll Barbieri, Gato: Chapter One: Latin America [QS]

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rate "Chapter One"

Votes: 0 0.0%

• 5: Mediocrity Central

• 1: Sux

• Total voters

EMB

2K Club - QQ Super Nova
Since 2002/2003
Impulse-ABC AS 9248 from 1973.

Side 1:

Encuentros
India

Side 2:

La China Leoncia Arreo La Correntinaada Trajo Entre La Muchachada La Flor De La Juventud
Nunca Mas
To Be Continued

ED :)

This one goes to 11. It began my passion for Gato. I've played many of the instruments he names and are featured on "To Be Continued." I studied with the great Airto Moriera. Gato's ABC/Impulse albums are among his best, along with Caliente! on A&M. A few years ago, I saw Leandro at the old Iridium in Manhattan, in the basement of the Empire Hotel, across from Lincoln Center. A fantastic show! He often punctuates his solos with a "hey!"

gato-Barbieri.jpg

What an amazing ride this album is! The opening 12 1/2 minutes that is "Encuentros" is a raw and joyful explosion of four-corner sound, punctuated by the occasional "hey!" as @Quad Linda notes. Barbieri's passionate playing reminds me of the transcendent wailing of Pharoah Sanders, but here in the service of a celebration of Barbieri's Latin American heritage. This is followed by "India," a sheer sonic delight, again, taking full advantage of four speakers and a bevy of instruments and instrumentalists, Barbieri weaves his way melodically and magically for nearly nine minutes of lilting bliss. Side two begins with more "hey!"s as a four part suite stretching for over 13 1/2 minutes nearly suspends time. On the way to my Quad space, i pass a bookshelf, and Dave Eggers's A Heartbreaking Work of Staggering Genius always grabs my attention. That book's title seems apt for the transcendent beauty of the suite that opens side two. Majesty. The penultimate piece, "Nunca Mas," evokes the tango of Barbieri's native Argentina (all but the final piece were recorded in Buenos Aires, and the whole is an act of love). The last song is the one @Quad Linda references, and i can't help but picture her playing the instruments he names . . . and her being tutored by Airto Moriera! I know I'm generous with my 10's (i'm just so overjoyed to hear music in surround!); that said, I'm in agreement with QL on this one: 11!

I wasn't aware this was mixed in Quad. I can't comment on the mix and fidelity, but will join in the praise. I adore this album and anything Gato Barbieri from his Flying Dutchman and Impulse! years. This is esoteric and low profile enough that maybe Dutton-Vocalion could be get a license?

Back