Quad LP/Tape Poll King, B.B.: The Best of B.B. King [QS]

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rate 'Best of B.B. King'

• 10: Great sound, mix, content

Votes: 0 0.0%

• 1: Sux

• Total voters

EMB

2K Club - QQ Super Nova
Since 2002/2003
ABC ABCX-767, from 1973.

Side 1:

Hummingbird
Cook County Jail Introduction/
How Blue Can You Get
Caledonia
Sweet Sixteen

Side 2:

Ain't Nobody Home
Why I Sing the Blues
The Thrill is Gone
Nobody Loves Me But My Mother

ED :)

I gave it a five and that was being very generous since it is BB King we are talking about. Only seven songs. Song two is an introduction and song nine is pathetic bs. The fidelity is average for the 70s and the surround is not very discrete. Not much to love here.

First of all, this comp was obviously meant to be a basic sampler and nothing more...though with B.B.'s considerable catalog at ABC, this fan would certainly have included something other than the final track (though I don't think it's *that* bad, but how do you leave out, say, "Paying the Cost to Be the Boss"?) Other than that, I've really no problem with this one beyond wanting, of course, more B.B. As for the sonics, generally good to exceptional for the time they were recorded, IMO. The quad separation is somewhat variable, but the later the recording, the better the quad field. And with "The Thrill Is Gone"--an old R&B song B.B. made his own in spite of the success of the original--it's easy to forgive the last cut, though as noted, there were certainly better choices to be had.

Thanks for posting! Given how common a title this is in quad, I'm surprised it hasn't gotten much of a response here.

ED :)

Interesting that this is produced by Bill Szymczyk (apparently produced quite a few of B.B.'s albums.- along with Joe Walsh, Eagles etc. etc.)
That's the connection to having Walsh play on "The Thrill is Gone"

He's also the guy you can hear go "Alright, stop" at 0:52 on Grand Funk's opus "Closer To Home (I'm Your Captain)"

Thankfully no one listened to him that time.

Back