HiRez Poll Genesis - 1970-1975 (Bonus Disc) [SACD]

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rate the SACD of Genesis - 1970-1975 Bonus Disc

• 10 - Great Fidelity, Great Surround, Great Content

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 5 -

• 4 -

• 3 -

• 2 -

• 1 - Bad Fidelity, Bad Surround Bad Content

• Total voters

JonUrban

Forum Curmudgeon
Staff member
Admin
Since 2002/2003
Please post your thoughts and comments on this 5.1 SACD disc included in the Genesis Box Set 1970-1975. (n) :phones (y)

Attachments

• Genesis 70-75 Case.jpg
    Genesis 70-75 Case.jpg
    173.3 KB · Views: 173
  • Genesis 70-75 SACD.jpg
    Genesis 70-75 SACD.jpg
    229.4 KB · Views: 172
I gave this one a '7', simply because it really doesn't have much surround material on it at all.
That said, the mixes of "Happy the Man" and "Twilight Alehouse" sound fantastic! Hopefully we can get UMe to add these bonus tracks to their respective HFPA discs, should they continue to release the Genesis catalogue as such. :)

I can only give 8 points. Yes, there is not much multichannel going on here, but "Happy the Man" and "Twilight Alehouse" are classics and well mixed.
The other stuff is very interesting, if you are into Genesis. It's my favourite band.....so also for only the two songs my 8 is solid. :)

I'd never heard Twilight Alehouse until this boxset came out. For me this track alone is worth the "price of admission". I rarely listen to the other tracks perhaps Happy the Man now and then...

Not sure how to vote on this.....

Yep, "Happy the Man" and "Twilight Alehouse" are classics and sound great here in 5.1. The remaining material sure is interesting (particularly to hear familiar themes in early forms) but I don't find myself returning to them that often. 7 overall for me.

I went with a 6 here.
The two studio tracks sound pretty darn good, but not stellar. And there are only two...
The other material is somewhat interesting, from a historical perspective, but not inherently. I probably won't play this again.
Sound is very uneven, given the vastly different sources. It's cool they included an extra disc, but it's just lacking in interest.
The booklet is nice.
2 more votes needed!

Hard to know how to fairly rate this one. I would assume that they only had multitracks available for the first tracks, thus making a decent 5.1 mix of the others pretty much impossible. So I don't feel like I can take away too many points for what couldn't possibly be accomplished. And it's not like there are b-sides from this era that they neglected to include like they did with the 1983-1998 bonus disc. Nick Davis does do a very nice job with "Twilight Alehouse" and "Happy the Man." Any full length album mixed in such a fashion would probably generate ratings between 8 and 10. And I do really enjoy listening to the other tracks. They are an interesting insight into the band's early years, although they certainly aren't something that I would play a lot. I'll err on the high side because who would have ever thought that we'd get 5.1 mixes of obscure tracks like "Twilight Alehouse" and "Happy the Man."

I'll give it a glass-half-full 9.

Pretty great to have full blooded 5.1 remixes of Happy the Man and Twilight Alehouse! Shitty to have them treble hyped like all the rest of these releases of course. Nothing just stepped on in these two though! A little disappointed they didn't include the single mix of Watcher of the Skies... but then Tony would have just had them bury Steve's guitar solo (which is unique to the single version). The older tracks and the demos are merely interesting.

Back