Quad LP/Tape Poll Miller Band, Steve: The Joker [Q8]

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rate "The Joker"

• 10: Tops

Votes: 1 20.0%

Votes: 0 0.0%

Votes: 2 40.0%

• 5: So-so

• 1: Friggin' worthless

• Total voters

EMB

2K Club - QQ Super Nova
Since 2002/2003
Capitol Q8W 11235, from 1974.

Program 1:

Sugar Babe
Mary Lou
Shu Ba Da Du Ma Ma Ma Ma
Your Cash Ain't Nothin' But Trash

Program 2:

The Joker
Lovin' Cup
Come On in My Kitchen
Evil
Something to Believe In

ED :)

Haha! I knew a time would come when this title would get mentioned. It's such a polarizing mix, that I both love and loathe it.

The music is classic "early" Steve Miller. I consider anything Pre-Fly Like an Eagle to be "early" and everything from Eagle after is "later, more mature" Steve Miller.
The music is chunky, it's funky, it's dirty and it's fun. It's real meat-and-potatoes stuff and it definitely has it's place in early 70's rock n' roll.

The mix? *sigh* Well, I suppose it could be worse. The upside is it is one of very few Capitol titles that is four-corner discrete. The bad news is that the fella at the mixing board really didn't have a clear idea of what equated to "Good" Quad mixing. The biggest problem is he never really figured out what to do with the drum kit and that is the biggest distraction of all. The rest is really not bad, but screams for a little more creativity. Making it a little less discrete might have actually given it that "You are there in the studio" kind of feel to it.

Most songs feature the drum kit situated in both right channels. Mostly to the rear, but many cymbal crashes and mic leakage come from right front. I'm going to assume this came from a 16-track multi, so there should be a minimum of three drum tracks. During "The Joker", left rear features a guitar overdub and, had I mixed this, I would've spread the drum kit across the rear channels instead to avoid having that dead channel until the overdub comes on.

Good , but not great. Funny how this SMB title is uber discrete, while the next one, Eagle, is probably one of the least discrete Quad mixes ever!

Although quirky at times, must say I've always liked the mix if only because, as you say, it's truly discrete, and given the loose, easygoing nature of much of the music, overall it all came out nicely, though some placements (like drums) are not as sensible as they might have been. Small quibble, though, this is among Miller's most appealing albums. A '7' here.

ED :)

The Wikipedia article on the album says that the quad tape "features an extended (4:11) unedited version of "The Joker" and also features studio talk before "Your Cash Ain't Nothin' but trash". The studio talk information is also present on the standard vinyl release." In addition, "near the end of the song "Lovin' Cup", someone can be heard saying "Last....Last verse". This is very noticeable on the Quadraphonic 8-track tape. According to an email from stevemillerband.com, it was Lonnie Turner the bassist." Can anyone verify this?

The Wikipedia article on the album says that the quad tape "features an extended (4:11) unedited version of "The Joker" and also features studio talk before "Your Cash Ain't Nothin' but trash". The studio talk information is also present on the standard vinyl release." In addition, "near the end of the song "Lovin' Cup", someone can be heard saying "Last....Last verse". This is very noticeable on the Quadraphonic 8-track tape. According to an email from stevemillerband.com, it was Lonnie Turner the bassist." Can anyone verify this?

Yes, that is all correct.

Yes, that is all correct.

How can the "unedited" version of The Joker on the quad 8 track be 4:11 and the really unedited album version be 4:24? Can someone describe this song on the Quadraphonic 8 track? Is it perhaps a no-fade version of the single version?

Thanks,

P.J.

Maybe there are 3 versions? or perhaps the Q8 has the LP version but runs a little fast?

My stereo LP lists the song at 4m26s, while the single runs 3m37s.

So, I'm going to assume the Q8 tape uses the album version but runs fast.

Only 4 votes on this - Oh my freakin' Lord!!!

I'd think there'd be lots of conversation about the weird mix on this one; this was one our favorite albums in the 70's (maybe got a little overlooked during the disco era?)

I've only heard conversions of this, but I'm trying to figure out how or if the channels should be moved around for a better play?
Anyone have any thoughts on this and please maybe some more votes - Pleassssse.

https://www.quadraphonicquad.com/fo...-news-for-steve-miller-fans.10469/#post-84596

Back