HiRez Poll Conniff, Ray - LAUGHTER IN THE RAIN & LOVE WILL KEEP US TOGETHER [SACD]

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rate the SACD of Ray Conniff - LAUGHTER IN THE RAIN & LOVE WILL KEEP US TOGETHER

Votes: 0 0.0%

• 1: Poor Content, Surround Mix, and Fidelity

• Total voters

rtbluray

Hi-Res Moderator
Staff member
QQ Supporter
Please post your thoughts and comments on this 2016 SACD release from Dutton Vocalion.

Full info below (all from the Dutton Vocalion website):
LAUGHTER IN THE RAIN
THE ORIGINAL LP KC 33332 (1975) STEREO
CQ 33332 QUADRAPHONIC
1. Laughter in the Rain (Sedaka; Cody)
2. I Honestly Love You (Allen; Barry)
3. Sundown (Lightfoot)
4. Angie Baby (O’Day)
5. Mandy (English; Kerr)
6. Seasons in the Sun (Brel; McKuen)
7. Eres Tú (Caldéron; Hawker)
8. Cat’s in the Cradle (H & S Chapin)
9. Feel Like Makin’ Love (McDaniels)
10. (You’re) Having My Baby (Anka)

LOVE WILL KEEP US TOGETHER
THE ORIGINAL LP KC 33884 (1975) STEREO
CQ 33884 QUADRAPHONIC
11. Please Mr. Please (Welch; Rostill)
12. Midnight Blue (Sager; Manchester)
13. Rhinestone Cowboy (Weiss) – Wildfire (Cansler; Murphey)
14. Feelings (Albert)
15. My Little Friend (Budd; Cahn) theme from the film Paper Tiger
16. I’m Sorry (Denver)
17. At Seventeen (Ian) JW
18. Solitaire (Sedaka; Cody)
19. Love Will Keep Us Together (Sedaka; Greenfield) – How Sweet It Is (to Be Loved by You) (Holland; Dozier; Holland)
Featuring:
Ray Conniff (trombone);
JW Jackie Ward (vocal)

Multi-ch Stereo
All tracks available in stereo and multi-channel

SA-CD
This hybrid CD can be played on any standard CD players

CDLK4602

(n) :) (y)

91WeQMQHyDL._SL1426_.jpg

Wow, what a surprise. I really like this one. The quad mix is very good, and the song selection is great. Very glad I took a chance on this one. I vote an 8.

I like cheese and this is fine cheese! Great songs, great mix, excellent value if you like these type of cheesy tunes. Grew up watching Lawrence Welk and this is the quad version of that show. 7.5...

I really wish i had given this more listens before i voted. I keep getting this out to listen to, and it has really grown on me. Such a fantastic quad mix, and really well done music and mixes. I did listen to it 3 or 4 times before voting an 8, but wish i could change that vote to 9. I really like this one.

When I first learned about this disc shortly before its release, I was initially disappointed with the pairing of these two albums. Conniff was a great arranger but I never felt there was anything special about these albums. They were a bit boring and the stereo versions had a rather dull sound compared to some of his other albums from the 1970s.

However, my opinion changed after listening to the disc several times. Not only is the material better than I remembered, the separation of SATB and instruments among the four discrete channels is well balanced and very enjoyable. The more I hear it, the more I like it.

I give this a 9 all around: content, mix and fidelity.

Fidelity is very good and the surround mix is very discrete (but not active). In terms of content, I'm not a fan of "cookie monster" screaming vocals, bombastic never-ending drum solos, or needless guitar feedback... which is good, because there's none of that here. As someone else mentioned, it's cheesy (but not pungent)...I like it for it's "time capsule" feel... fit's right in with my playlist of Carpenters, Hugo Montenegro, and Bread. 8.

Fidelity is very good and the surround mix is very discrete (but not active). In terms of content, I'm not a fan of "cookie monster" screaming vocals, bombastic never-ending drum solos, or needless guitar feedback... which is good, because there's none of that here. As someone else mentioned, it's cheesy (but not pungent)...I like it for it's "time capsule" feel... fit's right in with my playlist of Carpenters, Hugo Montenegro, and Bread. 8.
I give this review a "10." Made me chuckle.

Back