3 Old British Veterans

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
New Yorker - 01.jpgI was once rear-ended by a Pontiac Sunfire. Didn't feel a thing. Sunfire was a write-off.

I miss this car so much. I've only ever seen one other 2-door. This one had dual heaters. There was about 18 feet of tubing running the length of the car on the passenger side that pumped hot coolant to the rear heater. Flip 'em both on and the ol' gal got nice and toasty. Only drove it one winter. It was such a loafer. Didn't run right until about 55mph. Just for fun one night with a carload, we passed somebody on a straight stretch. I firewalled the pedal at 60mph. It shifted into second and held second 'til 110 when I lifted and it upshifted to third. Still had acres of grunt left, but with drum brakes all around, we were running out of real estate for slow-down.

We used to joke that the car had the "little" 440. Only 350 horsepower as opposed to the T.N.T. mill with 375.

But no, it didn't have Quad. I wasn't into Quad until long after I'd gotten rid of the car. I did have a small, "Mustang Stereo" stereo 8-track player bolted to the ash tray for a short period of time. Sounded kinda funny with one speaker in the dash and one in the rear package tray - off to one side. If I'd have kept it, it probably would've gotten a Quad player like everything else.

Sure, 8 tracks sucked. But I first heard Quad only because I bought a cheap Panasonic Q8 player and a few early Q8 titles in a PX all those many years ago......

It was actually later that I got into cassettes. I wanted a way to preserve my LP collection, and at the time I had several nice machines purchased from a military audio store. Back then I used only TDK SA tapes and over the years they held up pretty darn well. I was absolutely anal about preserving my LP's; some only got played once, at first, and that was to record them. After that they were only pulled out for serious listening experience.

That was soooo long ago, and before I knew it I woke up the other day to have somehow survived 60 years on this sweet earth, and now have more surround sound than I can listen to.
"what a long strange trip it's been". :)

That was soooo long ago, and before I knew it I woke up the other day to have somehow survived 60 years on this sweet earth, and now have more surround sound than I can listen to.
"what a long strange trip it's been". :)

And I'm damn glad to have known you online for a few of those 60 years, Boonie!

An old thread, and a bunch of old British Veterans! Has anybody heard the Q8 of Humble Pie's Smokin'? Whats the Quad like? Its my favourite 'Pie album, and I was looking for the plain old stereo SACD that I'd wished I'd bought and came across this on Discogs (no Q8 or SCAD for sale there). Now it would be a nice one for Dutton Vocalion to re-issue.

smokin_q8.JPG

An old thread, and a bunch of old British Veterans! Has anybody heard the Q8 of Humble Pie's Smokin'? Whats the Quad like? Its my favourite 'Pie album, and I was looking for the plain old stereo SACD that I'd wished I'd bought and came across this on Discogs (no Q8 or SCAD for sale there). Now it would be a nice one for Dutton Vocalion to re-issue.

View attachment 32256

Last I read it's another one of those totally faked A&M quad mixes- here's the poll thread:

https://www.quadraphonicquad.com/forums/showthread.php?22662-Humble-Pie-Smokin-Q8

Yep - Smokin' is a derrived from stereo mix. It might have had the rear channels passed through some kind of compressor or EQ'd slightly, but if you watch the playback on a Quad scope, the lefts and rights are sync'd.

If it is an actual remix from the multitracks (I'll eat my hat!) they must've tried very hard to emulate the stereo mix - or had Jimmy the intern at the mixing desk that day.

Big Disappointment.

Well Acoustic Sounds won't allow a download to the UK (and its only about $25), but I found a new copy of the SACD on amazon.co.uk, so as I still had some gift vouchers from Xmas I got it,...... though it was £50.07 (around US$70), but it is an album I love :banana:

Back