35th Anniv. of CD in US

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I hope so!
Tower was cool. Open til midnight 365 days a year.
Also trolled University Way aka The Ave.
Lots of cool little shops there.
Peaches on 45th. Great place.

Didn’t the Tower Records on Mercer move several blocks up the street? I seem to remember shopping there too, for a short time, before they finally closed. I think they were kicked out of the original spot cause they wanted to build condos. Or, they sold the property. Then, the condos.

Some appropriate nostalgia:

Due to an accident of birth, I missed out on the U.S. launch of CDs, but benefited from my parents' large collection growing up. My own collection is not inconsiderable; I'd guess it's somewhere north of 200. Some of my favorites/reference recordings remain early discs. In fact, it doesn't get much more O.G. than "the first non-classical recording to be released in compact disc format:"

R-2324327-1283349203.jpeg.jpg

If you were buying a CD player from a hifi dealer in 1983 (or anytime in the mid-'80s), chances are good that they had this disc in heavy rotation. Unfortunately, it's long out-of-print, along with (I believe) the rest of the DMP catalogue. :( No discs, no downloads, no streaming... Nothing. I highly recommend seeking out a copy.

I remember the name Flim & the BBs...but I didn't have any of their music...so I took your advice and hunted down a copy of TriCycle and it is superb...I consider it an audiophile product...I'm not sure I have any hi rez titles with a dynamic range this high right now....I had one jazz title that had a DNR of 20...but I didn't like the content....so I sold it....but this is entertaining music....here is the DNR

I remember the name Flim & the BBs...but I didn't have any of their music...so I took your advice and hunted down a copy of TriCycle and it is superb...I consider it an audiophile product...I'm not sure I have any hi rez titles with a dynamic range this high right now....I had one jazz title that had a DNR of 20...but I didn't like the content....so I sold it....but this is entertaining music....here is the DNR
If you like Tricycle, you'll probably enjoy the rest of their catalogue, too, and it is all just as "audiophile." It helps that in addition to having great sound, the players and the compositions are also superb. My favorites are a toss-up between Tricycle and Big Notes.

R-7579019-1444438049-2456.jpeg.jpg

I didn't get my CD player until April 1987. It was a Sony CDP-70, part of a Sony "rack system" I purchased after saving for a whole year (I still have the integrated amp, the speakers, and the original rack from that system. Still fully functioning.)

I remember signing up for Columbia House and RCA Music Service to get cheap CDs. I dropped Columbia House after fulfilling my purchase obligation but I stuck with RCA Music Service up until the very end (when they became yourmusic.com). Below are a couple of CDs from those RCA/BMG Music Service years....

6729575661_e00d44ba3d_n.jpg
7214325520_2f0578b08f_n.jpg

I was a fairly late adopter of CDs. The first one I remember owning was buying “The Joshua Tree” when it was first released. IIRC, it was one of the first albums to be released in America on CD the same day as the other formats. It spurred me to buy my first CD player so I could hear it!

Just before that I remember listening to a radio station that made a big deal about how they were going to be playing some Beatles music from this new “perfect” format. So me and a couple of friends got into my car to hear it, and when they played it, the CD did that digital “get stuck” thing! Pretty hilarious.

If you like Tricycle, you'll probably enjoy the rest of their catalogue, too, and it is all just as "audiophile." It helps that in addition to having great sound, the players and the compositions are also superb. My favorites are a toss-up between Tricycle and Big Notes.

R-7579019-1444438049-2456.jpeg.jpg

Those DMP discs were jaw dropping demos for CD skeptics. Flim (Jimmy Johnson) sat and talked to my wife and I for half an hour prior to his taking the stage with Allan Holdsworth at The Belly Up back in 1987. Not long after he would land the James Taylor gig as well

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Those DMP discs were jaw-dropping demos for CD skeptics. Flim (Jimmy Johnson) sat and talked to my wife and I for half an hour prior to his taking the stage with Allan Holdsworth at The Belly Up back in 1987. Not long after he would land the James Taylor gig as well

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

And the DMP SACDs were amazing demonstrations of what Stereo and Surround Sound DSD has to offer.
Too bad Tom Jung, the main man at DMP, has retired from the music industry.

61xs4x8nCcL.jpg

http://www.sa-cd.net/showtitle/564
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00005A15N

One of my earliest cd's was this Tricycle disc. I got it at a high end stereo shop (listen up or soundshop) and of course, software for the "brand new format" was though the roof. I think I paid upward of $25 for it. The first time I listened to this disc, I was practically knocked over when the drums came in shortly after the disc started (great choice for a demo disc, I bet it sold them a lot of software AND hardware). Funny thing, just a few days ago I picked up this title on a CASSETTE TAPE, the first high end tape I've ever found at a thrift. The sticker was still on the back--$18.99 and the tape was recorded on a Scotch brand COBALT tape. I put it in the player and wasn't expecting much until the drums came in and lit me up AGAIN!!. Anybody who questions the fidelity of the cassette format has never heard it when it is done right!

If you were buying a CD player from a hifi dealer in 1983 (or anytime in the mid-'80s), chances are good that they had this disc in heavy rotation. Unfortunately, it's long out-of-print, along with (I believe) the rest of the DMP catalogue. :( No discs, no downloads, no streaming... Nothing. I highly recommend seeking out a copy.[/QUOTE]

One of my earliest cd's was this Tricycle disc. I got it at a high end stereo shop (listen up or soundshop) and of course, software for the "brand new format" was though the roof. I think I paid upward of $25 for it. The first time I listened to this disc, I was practically knocked over when the drums came in shortly after the disc started (great choice for a demo disc, I bet it sold them a lot of software AND hardware). Funny thing, just a few days ago I picked up this title on a CASSETTE TAPE, the first high end tape I've ever found at a thrift. The sticker was still on the back--$18.99 and the tape was recorded on a Scotch brand COBALT tape. I put it in the player and wasn't expecting much until the drums came in and lit me up AGAIN!!. Anybody who questions the fidelity of the cassette format has never heard it when it is done right!

If you were buying a CD player from a hifi dealer in 1983 (or anytime in the mid-'80s), chances are good that they had this disc in heavy rotation. Unfortunately, it's long out-of-print, along with (I believe) the rest of the DMP catalogue. :( No discs, no downloads, no streaming... Nothing. I highly recommend seeking out a copy.
[/QUOTE]
I still have these Flim CDs haven't listened to them in awhile. I should dig them out and give 'em a spin.

Dang - Nakamichi was also my Cassette player. It truly was an amazing machine.

I still have one sitting in mothballs.....great unit but seriously, mastering tapes @ 1 7/8 ips from 15 or 30 ips masters, in retrospect, WAS ludicrous!

The pinnacle of Nakamichi at the time was the DRAGON which cost approximately $3,600 in the seventies! That would probably translate into over well over $12K in current dollars!

If only all that technology put into making cassettes sound audiophile was applied to the then fledging digital technology industry, we might've had an approximation of 'perfect sound forever' [perhaps 20 bit instead of 16] when SONY/Philips launched the RBCD.

Ever think of THAT??????

Last edited:
Back