35th Anniv. of CD in US

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
OK so cd's are 35 years old. Then what were those little shiny discs that the librarian was using to send people into the past in that Star Trek episode from the late 60,s. Perhaps Spock would know.

First CD was Brothers In Arms - Dire Straits (1985)
I brought all the Dire Straits albums in the 1980s and Jimi Hendrix, Cream and Led Zeppelin
I still believe these sound better than the remaster of today apart from a few Led Zeppelin titles.
I have 5000 CDs

Jean-Michelle Jarre's "Zoolook" is the only one I can think in my collection that I know has indexing. Only my first player (Pioneer's clunky first combo LD/CD unit) could ever take advantage.

Another one that has indexing is the original european edition (Arista-Ariola Topac) of Alan Parsons Project "The Turn of a Friendly Card" on the title track piece.

OK so cd's are 35 years old. Then what were those little shiny discs that the librarian was using to send people into the past in that Star Trek episode from the late 60,s. Perhaps Spock would know.

Memories from a distant past... we're not seeing how old are our way of thinking.

Saturday was recording a LP into digital (24/96) and, being on a portable setup, was monitoring on headphones. One little cute girl, 3-years old, heard the sound coming from the room, came in, looked at a strange thing revolving and then said "hey, your telephone is ringing!".

I skimmed through, so apologies if this has been covered.

Does anyone else have CD player that has the Indexing functionality? Not track numbers, more like chapter points within a track. I think it was intended for long classical pieces. I never owned a CD that actually had index points built in.

Technics SL-P8. The first cd player me and my brother bought togheter (joining economical forces... it was a very costly one!!!). still working on my brothers' house.
And with pitch control, IIRC the first one to have it.

technics_slp8.jpg

Just remember, that the only reason Kirk and McCoy could come back was because their CD's hadn't been copy-protected, lol...

Kind of bittersweet for me; 34 years ago, visited my bro in the hospital, recovering from Lymphoma;(he's fine)
Anyway, bought him the 1st Sony portable CD player, & Sony CD7 headphones; (at that time, state of the art)
1st thing I ever heard was Zeppelin's "Rock & Roll"; WOW! I was hooked; what a sonic experience, compared to my Sony Walkman!
Needless to say, whenever I hear that track, it brings back sweet & sour memories, but still thankful for the experience

I remember buying 4 CDs before I got my first player, which was almost $1000 Sansui . I then got infected and began searching out CDs everywhere, especially those higher priced record stores that sold "imports". What fun. Got sent to London for work and lived in the Tower and HMV where there were tons of CDs that were not available in the States!!

Still have CD3's (including all of the Beatles in their longboxes) and even a Sony 3" CD portable player!

And oh yeah, BTW, the forum will probably be closed for a few days starting tomorrow. Look for the new software soon!!! :yikes

PS - Great thread QL. I saw it but haven't had time to post until now. Keep it going into the new world!! :cool:

I got my 1st player in 1985 when the price point finally started dropping. It was a Marantz for somewhere around $350. Pretty pricey for a high school kid, however I was infatuated by the technology after my neighbor got one shortly after they came out. Bought two CDs at the same time: Zep Houses of the Holy and The Firm s/t (both WG targets).

Still have CD3's (including all of the Beatles in their longboxes) and even a Sony 3" CD portable player!

Sony D-88. A big PITA for a lot of things, but probably the cutest CD player ever made.

d88.preview.jpg

I mean, CD's really were a total mind blower....I remember thinking....WTF!!!
I vividly remember buying some funky looking Technics CD player...it was silver and I thought I had purchased the sweetest piece of equipment I'd ever purchased. I recall The Outfield being one of the earlier discs I purchased...but I'd be lying if I remember what for sure was the first.

Obviously, coming from a lifetime of vinyl, this concept nearly could not be comprehended for me. I just could not believe it.....and showed it off to all my unsuspecting visitors every chance I got. I had some Kenwood receiver along with some pretty nice Polk Audio speakers for the time.

I came late to CDs . . . had abandoned both vinyl and cassettes for the real thing -- LIVE MUSIC!

SF can do that to you 8').

At any rate, my housemate had a CD player, so my first purchase was a Sandy Denny 5-CD box set, followed shortly by lots of R.E.M. and the Jefferson Airplane 3-CD box set (which I had autographed, of course 8')), long before I had a CD player (and that was given to me!).

Needless to say, I was hooked and wound up here with all the blu ray - SHM-CD - SACD - multi folk, although I had a long diversion into the HUB - Torrent world:confused:

This exact place was my hangout. When I wasn’t working or in the bars/nightclubs. Great memories! I’m sure I bumped into you a few times. :smokin
I hope so!
Tower was cool. Open til midnight 365 days a year.
Also trolled University Way aka The Ave.
Lots of cool little shops there.
Peaches on 45th. Great place.

What was your 2nd player?
Bought a Cal Audio Icon Mk II player in 1993(?)
Boasted 18-bit and then the 20-bit, HDCD Boss upgrade!
That player was built like the proverbial Brick Sh!t House.

After a lot of years, bought a Denon 5910.
A true beast.
Compared to the Cal Audio, the 5910 kicked it to the curb.
Embarrassingly I still have it.

Blu-Ray demanded an Oppo-80, region free.
Still have that for films

Got an Oppo-95, ripped off.
Have an Oppo-105.

2018 will see a new source.

1st cd player I had was the NAD..
their very first model
it wasnt very good audio wise

..also not helped by the fact that my main hifi at the time was pretty high end audio...linn sondek t/table with magneplanar speakers moving coil cartridge audio research valve amps....

I played "In the Court of the crimson king" and felt like the guy on the front cover afterwards.

got rid of the machine quickly in the trading post.

didnt go near cd' again until the first pressing release of rolling stones "Hot Rocks one" cd on ABKCO , because it had the true stereo mix of "satisfaction", "play with fire" on it....later changed to mono after complaints from Andrew Loog Oldham...

...eventually got EAD laserdisc /cd transport and DAC with glass fibre cable....sounded much better than the NAD then...

Back