3D TV Is Dead

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Im still enjoying my Oled tv´s (even one is 1080p, with a superb 3d, the LG 55" EG9100), I just don't get it, sometimes the difference between 1080p and 4k is not visible at all (is dependent of the set itself and the distance from the viewer), from my point of view a great picture comes from the panel itself -OLED of course- and software and hardware (like HDR or dolby vision). Saying that, I still love my 1080p EG9100, and have no plans on buying a 8k panel, I don´s see a palpable difference from my 55EG9100 and my 55E6P (4k).......anyway....technology behaves like that.......companies keep pushing products that sometimes are not worth it. And sometimes discontinue technology (3D) that is worthy (at least for myself and a lot of other members on this forum).

I finally watched my 3D copy of Wizard Of Oz that I had purchased years ago when it first became available for purchase. Nothing to write home about but the 3D conversion did add some depth. So, it wasn’t a total loss. I can’t remember the last time I watched it but do remember watching it every single year it came on tv, as a kid, along with West Side Story.

I finally watched my 3D copy of Wizard Of Oz that I had purchased years ago when it first became available for purchase. Nothing to write home about but the 3D conversion did add some depth. So, it wasn’t a total loss. I can’t remember the last time I watched it but do remember watching it every single year it came on tv, as a kid, along with West Side Story.

I thought for a 1939 technicolor movie, they did a great job with The Wizard of Oz. It actually has a lot more depth than a lot of recent up conversions, especially on my LG OLED 3D TV. And they even cleaned up the audio. GREAT FUN, IMO, especially in 3D.

I thought for a 1939 technicolor movie, they did a great job with The Wizard of Oz. It actually has a lot more depth than a lot of recent up conversions, especially on my LG OLED 3D TV. And they even cleaned up the audio. GREAT FUN, IMO, especially in 3D.
I’m not sure I’ll view it again in the 3D format. I have redeemed a digital copy and will probably just refer to that. If I wanted depth, I’ll watch a 4K movie because I get better colors and overall image quality. I like 3D for when things pop out of the screen and makes it fun.

I’m not sure I’ll view it again in the 3D format. I have redeemed a digital copy and will probably just refer to that. If I wanted depth, I’ll watch a 4K movie because I get better colors and overall image quality. I like 3D for when things pop out of the screen and makes it fun.

I just watched SONY's Native UHD 4K restoration of Francis Ford Coppola's DRACULA and, IMO, it was amazing. I've watched this movie over the years including the recent 4K 1080p remaster [in the deluxe packaging] and it was NO contest for the real deal. Also, Across the Universe in Native 4K was astounding.

I wish the studios would stop f**king around with UHD 4K and give us the real deal instead of 'upscaled 2K' junk! Probably why it really hasn't taken off in a big way.

At least SONY gets it and ensures their UHD 4K releases are NATIVE and not UPSCALED. Have yet to watch Bridge On The River Kwai in native 4K!

Last edited:
Not a big difference between 2K and 4K. You might see a difference if your screen size is 70” and larger. When mastered properly, a 4K UHD movie can look spectacular when mastered at 2K. Just look at the reviews on the three latest releases of The Avengers movies.

Not a big difference between 2K and 4K. You might see a difference if your screen size is 70” and larger. When mastered properly, a 4K UHD movie can look spectacular when mastered at 2K. Just look at the reviews on the three latest releases of The Avengers movies.

I'm thinking in terms of 'future proof.' I'm looking for a projector than can do both 3D and 4K but ALL current projectors don't support Dolby Vision {?].....only flatscreens do. The pickings ARE slim. No success yet! I do notice a difference on my 55" OLED bedroom flat screen especially utilizing the OPPO 205 as source player utilizing a Shunyata Research venom HDMI cable plugged DIRECTLY into the OLED TV. Textures on 4K are pretty astounding. And yes, there are decent upscaled 4K discs but I still feel the major studios can do better....especially if they're from 35mm sources which are capable of 3500 lines of resolution.....IDEAL for NATIVE UHD 4K remasters!

Last edited:
Reactions: GOS
Back