3D TV Is Dead

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hey, I'm a quad fan, so 3D video would be a no-brainer. And just like quad, it died in the marketplace. I remember seeing a few 3D channels on my FIOS box, but that was before I upgraded from analog video, so it was just a distorted split screen. When I bought the set, I was able to get two 3D movies on demand, but then they disappeared. I heard Netflix had some 3D fare, so I bought the latest Roku, but wasn't able to ever get anything through it. I have an OPPO BDP105D that plays 3D blu-rays well, but the supply is dwindling and, like quad records, I'm going to have to settle for what I can find used. Alas.

There's still plenty of content out there, and at the used disc stores, at least the ones in my area, tend to have a steady supply of used 3-D blurays at a fraction of their original cost, and always cheaper than ebay.
3-D projectors can still be purchased new and flatscreen 3DTVs still pop up on Craigslist at a decent price. Ebay and other nationwide selling spots tend to be more costly, as the sellers know the demand.

As for vintage 3-D content, we at the 3-D Film Archive are still working hard at getting vintage content out and have well over a years worth of work in the pipeline, at a minimum.

We just finished work on Sangaree and the demo can be found here:

You had mentioned viewing SBS 3-D content previously from FIOS- If you ever watch youtube SBS 3-D content want to see a SBS version of the above demo, just send me a PM and I'll send a link your way.

This isn't 3D but it does have a 4k version...not sure if it's real 4k......but I love these movies in the series and will grab it on Dec 4th

According to the Real/Fake UHD 4K website: Mission: Impossible – Fallout – Real 4k, HDR

This is supposed to be the best in the series, BTW.

https://4kmedia.org/real-or-fake-4k/

BTW, Clinty, start saving for Samsung's 85" QLED 8K Flatscreen for $15K. Upsamples UHD 4K to 8K. No 3D, as expected! Bummer that.

01-QN85Q900RAFXZA-091018.jpg

Last edited:
According to the Real/Fake UHD 4K website: Mission: Impossible – Fallout – Real 4k, HDR

This is supposed to be the best in the series, BTW.

https://4kmedia.org/real-or-fake-4k/

BTW, Clinty, start saving for Samsung's 85" QLED 8K Flatscreen for $15K. Upsamples UHD 4K to 8K. No 3D, as expected! Bummer that.

01-QN85Q900RAFXZA-091018.jpg

Don't waste your time on QLED...it's a flop...Samsung still haven't recovered from their OLED failure...in the recent TV shootout it limped into last place...according to some that were there if this was a prize fight it would have been stopped...the QLED was that bad....I know you want a bigger screen...but don't waste your money on that one..

Don't waste your time on QLED...it's a flop...Samsung still haven't recovered from their OLED failure...in the recent TV shootout it limped into last place...according to some that were there if this was a prize fight it would have been stopped...the QLED was that bad....I know you want a bigger screen...but don't waste your money on that one..

Good to know. I was under the impression it was equivalent [somewhat] to LG's OLED TVs. But those dreaded words LED [never a fan] should've tipped me off.

Wonder if LG will tackle 8K OLED in the near future. Of course, there'll be nothing to play, in THAT resolution, on it but even upsampling 4K to 8K would probably be cool.

I have a friend who's big into 3-D. He buys from Amazon UK a lot. Apparently, 3-D is still very popular overseas.

There are quite a few movies, esp Marvel movies, that are available in 3D from amazon.uk that did not get 3D BluRay release in the US. For some reason, Disney dumped 3D discs in the US but did not in the UK. Fortunately, these UK 3D discs play fine in the US.

Good to know. I was under the impression it was equivalent [somewhat] to LG's OLED TVs. But those dreaded words LED [never a fan] should've tipped me off.

Wonder if LG will tackle 8K OLED in the near future. Of course, there'll be nothing to play, in THAT resolution, on it but even upsampling 4K to 8K would probably be cool.

They will do it soon...keep in mind that 8k has already been used in Japan and will be available for the Olympics

They will do it soon...keep in mind that 8k has already been used in Japan and will be available for the Olympics

I've given up looking for a 3D Projector and I'd rather invest in a curved 85" flatscreen 8K display to 'future' proof the investment SOMEWHAT! Everything's moving way too fast in video these days and if you notice, VERY few UHD 4K BD~Vs are being released [and a lot are still upsampled 2K....which is BULLSHIT].

I should've been alerted by Samsung's $15K price tag for an 85" 8K display. Wasn't the LG 77" OLED 3D flatscreen originally $100K [and then reduced to $15K].

I've given up looking for a 3D Projector and I'd rather invest in a curved 85" flatscreen 8K display to 'future' proof the investment SOMEWHAT! Everything's moving way too fast in video these days and if you notice, VERY few UHD 4K BD~Vs are being released [and a lot are still upsampled 2K....which is BULLSHIT].

I should've been alerted by Samsung's $15K price tag for an 85" 8K display. Wasn't the LG 77" OLED 3D flatscreen originally $100K [and then reduced to $15K].

Yes there have been HUGE discounts by LG on their OLED sets...because they control the market because they make the panels....speaking of that 77 OLED...the entry level model is very affordable now...and you should take a little trip over to Value Electronics...it's in your area...you can have them calibrate your new set and check out the entry level price for the 77 now

Something you should know about HDR10

Yes there have been HUGE discounts by LG on their OLED sets...because they control the market because they make the panels....speaking of that 77 OLED...the entry level model is very affordable now...and you should take a little trip over to Value Electronics...it's in your area...you can have them calibrate your new set and check out the entry level price for the 77 now

Clinty, is THAT the 3D model [the 77"] .... if so WOW! Under $7K?

Wow, Video being discussed on QQ!!
I would advise folks looking for great deals on LG OLEDs to join MASSDROP.
I know this isn't earth shaking news but they have great deals.
Full warranty, no tax, etc.
Basically selling the LG E8 for the price that VE sells the C8 for.
Yes, the VE calibration is a nice convenience but a bit pricey.
You can check out the Calibrator's thread on AVS. They do regional tours.
If you're a bit more adventurous the best prices seem to be had on greentoe.com.
Full warranty, no tax, etc.

I know a lot of folks like to buy from a B&M like BB or Costco and I fully understand and have done that up to now.
This Black Friday will be the 4k OLED day for me. I bought a cheap Sony 55" 4k 3 years ago on BF at BB only because my old 1080 Panasonic CRT in the bedroom fried on Thanksgiving nite.
It's fine for straight on casual viewing but my last gen Panny Plasma kills it.

The Walk
3D BD DTS-HD Master 5.1
Mrs. Baggins' choice!

Funny you mention that title, Mike. I've had it for awhile and since my fear of heights is pretty intense, I've put off watching it ...... but I will since it's all CGI anyway. Another recommended 3D title is the remake [but it actually wasn't] of POINT BREAK. If you can find it cheap, BUY IT. Has some intense 3D and is way better than the reviews would suggest. There's one used VG @ AmazonUS for $5 + s/h from third party vendor: https://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-lis...u_used_olp_sr?ie=UTF8&condition=used&qid=&sr=

91wYiTqi0TL._SL1500_.jpg

Last edited:
Funny you mention that title, Mike. I've had it for awhile and since my fear of heights is pretty intense, I've put off watching it ...... but I will since it's all CGI anyway. Another recommended 3D title is the remake [but it actually wasn't] of POINT BREAK.

When THE WALK ran in a number of IMAX 3D theaters there were reports of people getting nauseous. It IS that effective, at least on the larger screens. On our 3-D flatscreen, the depth still really adds to the story for the obvious reasons, but when we watch on the projection system and also sitting up close. ...Wow! The first time we watched via front projection, the Mrs had to look away a few times. Now *that's* when you know the 3-D is adding to the story. ;)

I agree with your assessment of POINT BREAK. Initially I wasn't expecting much from a 3-D standpoint but was pleasantly surprised.

Back