HiRez Poll Thomas, Rob - SOMETHING TO BE [DVD-A DualDisc]

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rate the DVD-A of Rob Thomas - SOMETHING TO BE

• Total voters

JonUrban

Forum Curmudgeon
Staff member
Admin
Since 2002/2003
Please leave your thoughts and comments on this new DualDisc from Atlantic, with a DVD-A side! (y) (n)

From Atlantic:
The wait is FINALLY over - ...SOMETHING TO BE, the debut solo album from Rob Thomas, is in stores tomorrow! The album features the hit single 'Lonely No More', and is jam-packed with bonuses that make it impossible to resist. ...SOMETHING TO BE is being released in DualDisc format, which means that on the CD side you will get the entire album, and then on the DVD side you get all 12 songs in 5.1 multichannel surround sound. Plus, the DVD content will feature an "In Session" behind the scenes documentary - including footage of recording and songwriting sessions for the album - and a photo gallery, lyrics, and more!

The music IS good on this album and the DVD side is DVD-A(This was nice to see!)...BUT, when are they going to put some effort into these DualDisc 5.1 mixes. Once again, another missed opportunity :mad: ! I thought I might have been listening to the Hi-Rez STEREO track ... when I checked it was definitely the 5.1 mix. I swear I heard NOTHING coming from the surrounds. (At least the Los Lonely Boys DD had some echo!)
It's now obvious to me the main push here is the idea of having a 2-sided disc without much care for the surround sound. (NOTE: I just barely got the CD side to play in my car! The thicker disc is going to be trouble for this format. Just give me the 2 seperate disc releases anyday!!!)
Tim

I rated "Something to Be" a seven. DualDisc done right. 96kHz./24bit DVD-A on a DualDisc. Musically, this album is a mix of styles. I like the surround mix as I think that it is appropriate for the music. Not every surround album needs to be ping-ping-pong-pong. Several people commenting on Amazon.com were not able to play the disc and are really turned off to the DualDisc format.

Great disc! I can do without most of the sappy, formulaic ballads, but the remainder of the album has enough VERY tasty music on it to compensate. The surround mix ain't anything to get terribly excited about but is above average by my estimation. Overall, a worthwhile purchase. I'll give it 7 points (coulda been 9 points but there are enough boring songs to pull it down a couple of notches).

I think the surround mix is NOT approriate.. it is a heavily produced pop album and while it doesnt need ping pong surround sound some of the back up vocals and instruments would have sounded so much better spread out to the rears. As of now the rears don't do anything more then PLII would do and that to me is just a waste. Overall though the quality of the sound is good and the music is pretty decent as well.

definate "9" would be a 10 but for some of the sappy stuff--decent surround mix -(it is 24/96 DVD-A-5.1)considering the levels of mastering today--why? I dont know but all I read is "personal preference' when it comes to surround formula/settings on mixing-but Im still looking for the BEST(perfect) surround settings for conversions.

IMO - If you bump the surround channels on this one by about +6db it sounds much better.

Great album. Front speakers are too loud. Rear speakers have some music but it is mostly far too low. Shame about the balance of the mix. Clear vocals but too much compression used on fronts.

Not really sure what made me think of this disc today, but yeah, Keenly got it right on in the above post.

Here's "Lonely No More" straight from the disc- what's wrong with this picture?
Screen Shot 2018-09-30 at 2.39.56 PM.png

The mix on this song is actually super discrete! Each rear speaker has an isolated rhythm guitar part, and there's only the slightest bit of echo on the vocals. It's hard to believe, but this mix approaches Columbia Q8 levels of discreteness!

Drop the fronts like 5-6 dB (definitely compression used because they have that "haircut" look) and you've got a solid surround mix.

Last edited:
I just got this today, it is a double disc set, CD and DVD, i've had the cd for years and love the album, after the negative reviews here I was put off but it was such a bargain on ebay I couldn't resist, I think it's wonderful, I turned up the rears a good notch and am hearing lots of discrete stuff like backing vocals and guitars, no less than an 8 from me, need to listen a few times before marking

Back