DVD/DTS Poll Studio Voodoo - Studio Voodoo [DTS-ES CD/DVD-A]

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rate the DTS-CD of Studio Voodoo - STUDIO VOODOO

• 10 Great mix, Great Sonics, Great Content

Votes: 0 0.0%

• 1 Bad Mix, Bad Sonics, Bad Content

• Total voters

Bob Romano

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Since 2002/2003
Please post your comments, thoughts and observations about this title...(y) (n)

I really like this one, the music is so different, The surround mix is very agressive. Here is how Tower records site describes the disc:

A conceptual "sound experience," STUDIO VOODOO (Gary Mraz & Ted Price) mixes elements of world music, jazz, flamenco, opera, techno, tribal drumming, and electronica. Impossible to describe in words, this inventive experiment has been acclaimed by musicians across all genres (from Nine Inch Nails's Chris Vrenna to Mike Simpson of the Dust Brothers.) This aural celebration is a marvel of innovation and intensity.

I gave it a 9, something totally diferent. :)

I just ordered this, hoping it is similar to "Ziroq", a very original disc that gets a lot of play here. At least the description of the music reads similar, whether or not it sounds similar or as good is another matter. The disc I ordered is a DVD-Audio, I guess the DTS only version is being reviewed here?

Chris

Last edited:
Although there are certainly some similar influences for this disc and "Ziroq", only a couple of selections from this sound similar to the worldbeat, flamenco, etc. sound of "Ziroq". The mix here is very discrete with sounds coming from all around you, sort of like being in a jungle with drums, chants, bells, screeches, and other sounds from all around. It is a very fine disc. I didn't have the ability to play it in 6.1, but will not likely play the DTS audio again anyway unless just to hear the DTS-ES. The DVD-A 5.1 on this DTS Entertainment disc is 48kHz/24-bit. The DTS Entertainment "Toy Matinee" was 44.1kHz/24-bit, maybe chosen because of the original recording, I don't know but I hadn't seen that before and checked to see what this one was first thing after loading it.

A solid 8 for the DTS audio. I would give the DVD-A an 8 or 9, not sure. I would have to convince myself I could tell some difference before giving it a 9 but I going to stick with DVD-A although it requires turning on a display to get DVD-A started until I memorize the button pushes to access DVD-A, it defaults to DTS on my Samsung universal player.

Not for everybody but many here would likely find this one a lot of fun.

Chris

I just searched online for their follow up to this, "Club Voodoo", and it was only released as a DTS CD. Not hard to find, but I don't own any DTS CD's and hadn't planned to start now. Although the first one is probably correctly labeled as electronica if you must give it a category, the second one looks like it is more clearly defined as electronica, not really one of my favorite music types. As good as these two guys are I would be sure to like it anyway.

Chris

I have both of thier releases, and if you liked the first one, you will like the second one also. I like them both, cool stuff.

Back