HiRez Poll Cray, Robert - TIME WILL TELL [DVD-A]

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rate the DVD-A of Robert Cray - TIME WILL TELL

• Total voters

JonUrban

Forum Curmudgeon
Staff member
Admin
Since 2002/2003
Please post your thoughts and comments.................(y) :phones (n)

Right from the start this one is going to put off a lot of potential buyers because it is a silverline disc. But don't let that stop you, as against all odds they have come up with a great sounding disc here.

With content in 24/96 5.1 and Dolby Digital from 24/48 source, the ten main tracks on offer here are quality through and through. Robert Cray is a master of Blues guitar and this album shows he has lost none of his touch.
Also included is a decent live section too, featuring an all too brief clip from a club performance.
Again, there is a distinct absence of any DTS stream and there is no dedicated stereo version in High Res.

I dithered for a while on the mark for this between a 7 and an 8, and came down on the 7 for several reasons.
Most importantly, the surround mix - well recorded though it is, and well produced too, sounds to me like it was not actually mixed for 5.1 but for stereo and then passed through a TC system 6000 in Unwrap mode, as the rears are effectively ambient sound only. It is far from an aggressive or well placed mix, and if it was actually mixed in 5.1 then the producer was thinking in stereo. Extracting the actual mix into discrete files will be an interesting task, as I suspect it will show heavy dominance on Left & right, with little in the rears and not much more in the centre.
Add to this the absence of a DTS stream, and it had to be a 7.

But don't let these gripes of mine put you off buying this album. It is very well done and you totally forget it's a silverline. And to be honest, the way the surround mix is done will appeal to those who don''t like the more aggressive techniques that I prefer personally.
If you like Blues guitar, this is a definite "must buy".

Neil's assessment is right on. i only gave it a 5 however - - for much the same reasons he describes; good music trapped in a "why-bother" Mch mix. since i bought this in dvd-a form as opposed to a redbook cd specifically for the Mch mix, i was disappointed.

Once again, Neil's response seemed to hit home. As a fan of Robert Cray, I will give this a rating of 7. It sounds good, but the mix doesn't want to bring you back for more.
I will use this for background music when other things are going on. Not for demo use! :eek:

I completely agree with the posts above. Good music, but not Cray's best work. Good sound but not a staggering surround mix. I'll listen to it plenty but not for a demo. I'll go a 7.

This is an excellent album and well recorded too. But there is really nothing going on in the rears, and there doesn't seem to be anything unique in the center either. It might as well be a CD. But it sounds good anyway, so I'd recommend it for a Robert Cray fan.

I bought this disc for two reasons. A. It was cheap. B. It contained a tune I heard on a Silverline sampler; I Didn't Know. I liked the song so thought I'd check out the album. Overall it is a pleasant listen. I like the slower songs and have about three favorites on the disc. The others are certainly entertaining enough to listen to. I do enjoy this album and would listen to it again and again. As far as the mix, it's subtle, but not a Silverline abortion like so many of their discs. I'll give this one a 7.

Firstly would like to thank Mr Baggins again for Life in Surround. The chance of getting Robert Cray in surround , could not pass on it after he gave it a glowing review . Even if it was Silverline !!! Usually as we know their stuff is bordering on the abysmal
Now the review . Silverline cannot master !!! The surrounds are buried and the FL & FR are limited . This I found after ripping my newly arrived DVDA this morning. So I did my thing on Audition ( reduced FRFL , increased SRSL ) and voila.
Sonically beautiful , clear , engaging , very discrete. Definitely not an Upmix . If it is , its bloody amazing give me more !!!
Music is typically RC Blues /R&B crossover groove . Incredible . Love it . Most enjoyable ( remastered by me) surround I have heard for yonks!
GO OUT AND BUY IT !!! Should be in everyones collection ..... Flac wise after ripping and adjusting !
10 for everything
p.s. the original DVDA is probably a 6 ...... but artistic license :)

Last edited:
I tend to agree with Neil's post #2 above; but I didn't know what a TC System 6000 was, so I looked it up-
"...if you need to deliver in 5.1 surround, UnWrap HD lets you upconvert a stereo signal into a convincing 5.1 surround version. "

https://www.tcelectronic.com/product.html?modelCode=P0CJS
I always liked the song Back Door Slam though, it seems to have the most "discrete" sound on this DVD-A.

But definitely check out his must have CD for Blues aficionados-
https://www.discogs.com/Robert-Cray-Strong-Persuader/release/3300815

I tend to agree with Neil's post #2 above; but I didn't know what a TC System 6000 was, so I looked it up-
"...if you need to deliver in 5.1 surround, UnWrap HD lets you upconvert a stereo signal into a convincing 5.1 surround version. "

https://www.tcelectronic.com/product.html?modelCode=P0CJS
I always liked the song Back Door Slam though, it seems to have the most "discrete" sound on this DVD-A.

But definitely check out his must have CD for Blues aficionados-
https://www.discogs.com/Robert-Cray-Strong-Persuader/release/3300815

Any Upmix product is going to have stereo effects in both front and rears to some extent . this disc definitely has sperate channel info when you listen to awell balanced mastering :)

Back