HiRez Poll Depeche Mode - VIOLATOR [SACD]

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rate the SACD of Depeche Mode - VIOLATOR

• 5:

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 4:

• 3:

• 2:

• 1: Poor Mix, Poor Fidelity, Poor Content

• Total voters

JonUrban

Forum Curmudgeon
Staff member
Admin
Since 2002/2003
Please post you thoughts and comments on this special CD/SACD/DVD release. If you would, please let us know where you got yours, what you paid for it, and what package you got! THANKS. (y) :phones (n)

Thanks to elmer, here's a link for some info on this and the other Depeche Mode SACD releases:
http://remasters.depechemode.com/

R-658090-1144708362.jpeg.jpg

R-658090-1250336610.jpeg.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Great content, great mix, great package! I got my copy from CD Wow for 10.99 British sterling. It gets a 10 - no doubt.

SACD plus bonus DVD with 5.1 DTS 92/24 and 5.1 DD - bonus tracks in PCM stereo and a 30 minute documentary. The SACD mix is wonderful - remixed by the original producer (Flood) - a very active and engaging mix - excellent fidelity. The DTS mix is also quite good. The bonus content is entertaining as well. Can't ask for a better package. I was concerned because the DVD in my version of the new album Playing the Angel was PAL region 1 and I couldn't play it. This release is PAL region 0 and it plays just fine.

I was never a big fan of Depeche Mode but these 2 releases are great new discoveries for me. Highly recommended(y)

elmer said:
Great content, great mix, great package! I got my copy from CD Wow for 10.99 British sterling. It gets a 10 - no doubt.

SACD plus bonus DVD with 5.1 DTS 92/24 and 5.1 DD - bonus tracks in PCM stereo and a 30 minute documentary. The SACD mix is wonderful - remixed by the original producer (Flood) - a very active and engaging mix - excellent fidelity. The DTS mix is also quite good. The bonus content is entertaining as well. Can't ask for a better package. I was concerned because the DVD in my version of the new album Playing the Angel was PAL region 1 and I couldn't play it. This release is PAL region 0 and it plays just fine.

I was never a big fan of Depeche Mode but these 2 releases are great new discoveries for me. Highly recommended(y)
Only those that came from CD WOW are region 0. The two I bought from Amazon UK are both region 2 and can only be played on my computer. Although I have excellent Roland speakers for my computer I'd prefer the 14" woofers in the JBLs. My future Depeche Mode purchases will be from CD WOW. I may even rebuy the two I already have.

Pretty good sounding disc, I must say. The fidelity is quite good and the mix is well suited for the music with plenty of discrete action. I have to admit that I've never been a big (or even little) fan of Depeche Mode. Thankfully, the surround presentation has raised me up a little bit (but that's not really saying much).

I definitely appreciate the music and can now see (hear) individual elements that allow me to understand why this band was such a big influence on current electronic and techno music. I GET IT NOW, thanks to this hi-rez surround release.

I also finally understand (remember) why I've never cared too much for this band: THE VOCALS. They just bug me. I can't get past them. It's the same reason I don't care too much for Bob Dylan. Excellent song-writing, exceptional musicianship... but, that voice! Argh!

I wish this were an instrumental album, then I'd be raving all over it.

As for the production of this release, I can't help but think I'm hearing up-sampling artifacts. Yep, I'm pretty sure that's what I'm hearing. I don't know a lot about this album. Was it originally recorded digitally? I dunno, but that high-frequency ringing halo effect sure sounds like an up-sampling artifact to me, and it permeates the entire album. A minor quibble, really. I'll take that over these vocals any day. ;)

It is here that I feel impelled to apologize profusely to Depeche Mode fans. I'm sorry, really I am. I love the music! Honest!

In the final analysis... seven points. I almost went eight, but... eh.

The high-frequency "ringing" is probably from the samples used at the time; remember, this was (comparatively) the dark ages in terms of sampling!

I'll be able to hear for myself and make a better guess when I get my copy. But I've heard this sort of thing before on records using old, low-resolution samplers.

Neon Kitten said:
The high-frequency "ringing" is probably from the samples used at the time; remember, this was (comparatively) the dark ages in terms of sampling!

I'll be able to hear for myself and make a better guess when I get my copy. But I've heard this sort of thing before on records using old, low-resolution samplers.
I don't think so. Like I mentioned, this artifact permeates the entire album. If it were present only when certain sampling effects were employed, I might agree with you.

Not heard the discs myself, but that high frequency ringing sound Cai describes is usually caused by Linear Phase Resampling.

neil wilkes said:
Not heard the discs myself, but that high frequency ringing sound Cai describes is usually caused by Linear Phase Resampling.
Neil, I hope you get a chance to listen to this. I'd like to hear your opinion on the high-frequency ringing. I hope I'm not completely bonkers here! :mad:@:

Cai Campbell said:
I also finally understand (remember) why I've never cared too much for this band: THE VOCALS. They just bug me. I can't get past them. It's the same reason I don't care too much for Bob Dylan. Excellent song-writing, exceptional musicianship... but, that voice! Argh!
Are you kidding? Dave Gahan has one of the greatest voices in rock and roll, I love his "crooning" style. Oh well, different vox for different folks, I guess...

Misterz said:
Seems to be a 16-Bit digital Master, not as good as "Music for the Masses"
I dunno, I just listened to "Music for the Masses" and it sounded overtly digitial to me... but I didn't hear the "resampling halo" of Violator. "Speak and Spell", however, sounded pretty freakin' brilliant (from a fidelity standpoint). "Speak and Spell" must be an analog recording.

Misterz said:
Seems to be a 16-Bit digital Master, not as good as "Music for the Masses"

According to Simon Heyworth, who mastered all of the DM SACDs, the master tape source for all three albums released so far was analogue, not digital.

How long did it take you to remaster the Depeche Mode albums?

'Speak and Spell' (1/4inch 15ips) took a while about 2-3 days in all because I had a lot of tapes to listen to plus the original vinyl discs. We wanted to use the 'Original Tapes' but I needed to listen to all the EQ'd Production Masters used for the original vinyl, the existing CD, and various copy masters to see what had gone on at the time. The original tapes were of course pretty much all on different reels because that is how it evolved, and also at slightly different times. This means different line ups for the tape machine etc.

'Music for the Masses' (1/2inch tape 30ips) was a bit easier because there were 'Masters' all on 2 reels (A&B side) This is put together as it used to be i.e., 'crafted' as an album to play as an A Side and a B Side. All the gaps are done, the levels between tracks are set. It's kind of mixed that way and in reality there's not too much to do. But the more you listen the more you hear.

'Violator' (1/2inch tape 30ips) was on separate reels and so I had to Master from those tapes. That took about a day and a half.

Neon Kitten said:
According to Simon Heyworth, who mastered all of the DM SACDs, the master tape source for all three albums released so far was analogue, not digital.
Thanks for the info! You must be right about the digital samplers contributing to the HF artifacts instead of digital recording. I'm glad to hear that these were recorded to and mastered from analog tapes.

narcopolo said:
Only those that came from CD WOW are region 0. The two I bought from Amazon UK are both region 2 and can only be played on my computer. Although I have excellent Roland speakers for my computer I'd prefer the 14" woofers in the JBLs. My future Depeche Mode purchases will be from CD WOW. I may even rebuy the two I already have.

My computers (PC and Mac) do not even see the DVD/SACD -- the PC aborts, the Mac just get stuck. It plays fine on my DVD/SACD player. What am I missing?

have to admit, i waited on this one due to my memory of these guys as lightweight new-romantic poseurs, but this sounds really stunning in sacd mch. the huge mtv hits which i dismissed back when first released (personal jesus, enjoy the silence etc.) sound so much more rich and powerful in context of a super surround mix. nicely done.

Gave it a 9.
Bit naff lyrics (I wasn't a fan in their time), but in general dark, moody and simple.
SACD sounds very nice as well, wish more productions were as good.

I think this one works really well in surround. The last 90 seconds of Personal Jesus cranked way up is just awesome! Worth the price just for that. Not perfect fidelity, a little too digital sounding, but a real joy to listen to. I really need to dig deeper into the DM catalog.

K

As for the production of this release, I can't help but think I'm hearing up-sampling artifacts. Yep, I'm pretty sure that's what I'm hearing. I don't know a lot about this album. Was it originally recorded digitally? I dunno, but that high-frequency ringing halo effect sure sounds like an up-sampling artifact to me, and it permeates the entire album. A minor quibble, really. I'll take that over these vocals any day. ;)

Cai.
I'm simply not hearing this at all on the DTS-DVD.
I don't even have the SACD anymore either, as I honestly preferred the sound from the DVD, so dumped the SACD completely.
Can you please point out what you consider to be the most blatant example, so I can recheck on the Studio Adams? These reproduce up to 35KHz, so ought to be audible easily enough.
It's right up in the upper registers? Sort of like a Linear Phase ring?
If so, I know what you mean & what to listen for - but really cannot spot it in the main private playback room, and would definitely like to recheck on the studio as the amps/speakers are a lot higher quality in there.

Does anybody know whether the perspex slipcases from the Depeche Mode surround editions were only used on the SACD editions? I.e. if I find one online which comes in the perspex slip case it should be SACD? Or could it be either?

Does anybody know whether the perspex slipcases from the Depeche Mode surround editions were only used on the SACD editions? I.e. if I find one online which comes in the perspex slip case it should be SACD? Or could it be either?

There are Perspex slip cases on the Non-SACD versions, too.

Confusingly, the Collectors Editions were re-released without the SACDs in but retaining the (albeit tiny!) SACD logo on the back. I have (exasperatingly!!) found at least two copies of two different DM albums in sets like this, with redbook CDs in place of the SACDs.

The dead giveaway is the disc itself, if you find a used set and can inspect the discs inside, if it has all white dots on the CD label, it is the SACD.. plus it's got the teeny-tiniest SACD logo on it, that is often nigh-on impossible to see but it's there!

Back