70'S QUAD FM SYNDICATIONS AND SIMULCASTS-OTHER THAN BBC, KBFH

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks for the memories of what could have been. Here is what I have on the Quad Radio Discography

LIVE AT THE AGORA
The "Expose Yourself in the Midwest"
campaign stated the concerts were "Recorded in SQ Quad" and broadcast on
stations within Ohio on FM-104 Toledo, WVUD Dayton, WCOL Columbus,
ACRN Athens, WMMS Cleveland, WDRD Youngstown and within Pennsylvania on
WMDI Erie, WYDD Pittsburgh, WIOQ Philadelphia. The artists listed for the
broadcasts include Peter Frampton, Hall & Oates, Genesis, Manfred Mann,
Savoy Brown, Patti Smith, Kiss, J. Geils, Dave Brubeck, Ted Nugent,
The Outlaws, Heart, Alice Cooper, Bad Company, Beach Boys, Bruce Springsteen,
Boston, Bob Seger, Queen, David Bowie, Black Oak Arkansas, Johnny & Edgar
Winter, Prue Prairie League, The Grateful Dead. The concerts were recorded
live on 24-track reels by Agency studios and aired at a later date. The
Agora Broadcasts were also mention in Sansui's "Four Channel Scene"
newsletter being broadcast in QS and they were a main sponsor.
{With so many popular names everyone must say that their is something here to like

and hear decoded out of four speakers. I was always curious as to why I had not
heard of the broadcast as being quad while trading FM broadcast thru the mail from
about '73 on. It was not until I saw the ad that I started my hunt. I have yet to
find any of these shows taped on a home recorder or from a tape delivered to a radio
station that mentions a quad in the broadcast in 40 plus years. The search
continues. Mark Anderson}

I have to say that I do not know of one of those mentioned artist having a Quad broadcast from any of the Agora venue's.
I have never heard of any of this being in matrix quad, but this is my neck of the woods! I know one local music critic who might be able to put me in touch with people who'd know. I'll see about tugging at those threads.

I have my dad's collection of open-reel WMMS concert home recordings as well, so now I'm wondering if any of those have SQ quad on them.

For what it's worth, it's loudly rumored here that a lot of the WMMS concert tapes went home with people in 1986 when there was an ugly split between ownership and musical direction/talent and rival WNCX was launched.

I have never heard of any of this being in matrix quad, but this is my neck of the woods! I know one local music critic who might be able to put me in touch with people who'd know. I'll see about tugging at those threads.

I have my dad's collection of open-reel WMMS concert home recordings as well, so now I'm wondering if any of those have SQ quad on them.

For what it's worth, it's loudly rumored here that a lot of the WMMS concert tapes went home with people in 1986 when there was an ugly split between ownership and musical direction/talent and rival WNCX was launched.

There are no less than 3 (and possibly 4) FM Quad Broadcasting Stations mentioned here on this thread in reference to Cleveland. If you start at page 4 you will encounter quad matrix broadcasting from :
WMMS , WNCR , WNCN? , and WCLV .

Most are SQ matrix but I notice a switch from SQ to QS in 1976 for WMMS , unless they were broadcasting different programs in one matrix SQ and another in QS matrix.

September 07 ,1974 page 26 ;
- WYSP FM Philadelphia , encodes Rock programs in QS .
-Chicago Lyric Opera beams in SQ on WFMT .
-HERBIE HANCOCK 'S Live FM broadcast in Tokyo will be carried by no less than 4 FM stations . The July 16th Concert will be broadcast September 01 in QS on Sansui 's show " Four Channel Golden Stage ".
-"Sansui Popular Jamboree " will have 13 weeks of broadcast .
-Tokyo Music Festival which is sponsored by Sony will feature KENNY GAMBLE with LEON HUSK and THE THREE DEGREES .

September 28 ,1974 page 30;
KHOW FM Denver has a mobile unit equipped for quadraphonic .

......page 77 ;
The Rock radio show "ON TOUR " is in QS . Other show syndications are scheduled, namely "SOUL STOP" and " COUNTRY SUNSHINE EXPRESS".

October 19 ,1974 page 27;
WQIV FM NY NY , goes 24 hours in QS quad .

Post #93 is the Abbey Lincoln info.@steelydave

AFAIK, KBEQ-FM (in KC) didn't broadcast any (matrix) quad encoded content.

Once, when I was listening in 1974, they were broadcasting "Bennie and the Jets", their audio processing was turning down the volume of the midrange and treble on each bass note.

Anyone have tape recordings of matrix quad encoded content from FM radio stations that setup their audio processing to work in this (extreme) way, how does it sound when decoded with a logic assisted matrix decoder?

Kirk Bayne

WSHE, Ft. Lauderdale/Miami, was already 24/7 QS.

Miami was one of the big hot bed Cities for quad matrix broadcasts .
As would be Southern Florida.
August 25 ,1973 page 27 ;
KIRO FM Seattle broadcasts in both QS and SQ .

November 03 ,1973 page 60 ;
Miami area FM stations broadcasting in quad - WTMI , WBUS , WSHE , WLYF and WMYQ .
, WSHE FM -is 24 hours .
(no mention of format)

.....page 66 ;
CBS will be distributing the Sony SQE -2000 Encoder for the U.S . and Canada .

.....page 69 ;
KLOS FM in L . A. an ABC affiliate , goes QS for a 13 week series of broadcasts. Advertisement on page 69 for the KLOS ,Sansui sponsored series.

November 10 ,1973 page 110 ;
Don Nix (Enterprise Records) will perform an F M Live Concert from his midwest tour.
( no mention of format )

As mentioned in Billboard Nov 73 . Identified as QS encoding a little later on in Billboard is WSHE FM. It was not uncommon to find Billboard name stations as broadcasting in a quad matrix ...only to confirm the matrices later on.

AFAIK, KBEQ-FM (in KC) didn't broadcast any (matrix) quad encoded content.

Once, when I was listening in 1974, they were broadcasting "Bennie and the Jets", their audio processing was turning down the volume of the midrange and treble on each bass note.

Anyone have tape recordings of matrix quad encoded content from FM radio stations that setup their audio processing to work in this (extreme) way, how does it sound when decoded with a logic assisted matrix decoder?

Kirk Bayne

Kirk,
Both Kansas City , and St Louis MO. had at least some quad broadcasting in matrix quad on the FM dial.
You got some reading to do , on this thread ...to find out which Stations and it will be to your worthwhile, as it will likely trigger further queries.

Kirk,
The other day I went through this thread and copied down all of the Syndication Programming that occurred(and there are many) according to Billboard in the 70's.
Chances are one or more from your local FM Stations , carried matrix encoded programs .

Note that I started this thread , as I was discovering so many unknown quad programing , (matrix and discrete)apart from KBFH , and Live From The BBC .
Hopefully this may spur interest in collectors of FM programs , and some of which were encoded in quad...be it ; DY-4D , EV-4 , QS , SQ , or even the BBC 'S ...Quad H , or HJ .

Last edited:
Back