Quad LP/Tape Poll Lennon, John: Walls And Bridges [Q8]

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rate "Walls and Bridges"

• Total voters

EMB

2K Club - QQ Super Nova
Since 2002/2003
2nd and last Lennon Quad(who knew there'd be 5.1 down the road for anything JL, let alone stereo remixes?)

Side 1:

1. Going Down On Love
2. Whatever Gets You Thru The Night
3. Old Dirt Road
4. What You Got
5. Bless You
6. Scared

Side 2:

1. #9 Dream
2. Surprise Surprise
3. Steel & Glass
4. Beef Jerky
5. Nobody Loves You(When You're Down And Out)
6. Ya Ya

ED :)

I can never understand why this album didn't sell as well as some of the other ex-Beatles solos (ie: RAM) and as well as Imagine for that matter. The LP is great, I'd give the Q8 an 8. BTW, #9 Dream has to be one of my favorites of all time, just try to figure out what it's about.

I quite like the songs here: besdies the obvious hits, I think "Going Down on Love" is a lost Lennon-in-confessional-mode gem and whereas it's been noted that "Steel and Glass" can be seen as a "How Do You Sleep?" knockoff, it's still a great tune and the target is arguably more deserving (i.e. Allen Kein as opposed to Paul McCartney).
However, I think most of the Lennon/Spector 70's output is sonic mush, and not served well by the limitations of the 8-track format. And I don't remember the mix being that dynamic or discrete, so I gave it a 7...

There were obvious limitations in remixing Lennon for Quad. But WALLS was a better choice than IMAGINE. Not a great mix, by any means, but if my memory's correct, better discrete atmopshere on this one. A '7' for me.

This Album is an enormous improvement over Imagine. It really is a good mix too with good definition and atmosphere. Usually purple Capitol Q8's are a crapshoot, but I was very surprised by this one. And of course, it's John Lennon! How can ya not like the guy? :phones

I can never understand why this album didn't sell as well as some of the other ex-Beatles solos (ie: RAM) and as well as Imagine for that matter. The LP is great, I'd give the Q8 an 8. BTW, #9 Dream has to be one of my favorites of all time, just try to figure out what it's about.

Well, it did sell pretty solidly for awhile, and yielded a #1 hit("Whatever")and a top ten("#9 Dream"). The latter is one of my fave JL trax, and it's just about all atmosphere, but what an atmosphere, brought out even more alluringly in quad...:)

I'm glad somebody (Ed and Q8) agrees with me - A classic LP and a decent purple Q8.

I don't know if I read it here or some other place, but John was not a big fan of quad according to that source. Consequently the mix on this is more subtle than what I thought it might be (my copy is a Q8) - almost "big stereo" at times. Bought this just for #9 Dream. Nice album.

When I want to hear John Lennon, this is the album (and of course -Quad) that I go for. I actually prefer this album over "Imagine"... overall. You know when you've listened to an album so much and love it, it seems like all the songs are hits? That's how I feel about this one. Lots of action in the various channels, with a nice full sound.

Some of the musicians on this are:

Drums ā€“ Jim Keltner
Guitar ā€“ Jesse Ed Davis
Piano, Piano [Electric] ā€“ Nicky Hopkins
Saxophone [Tenor] ā€“ Bobby Keys
Backing Vocals ā€“ Harry Nilsson
Organ, Piano, & Vocals [Harmony] ā€“ Elton John

I certainly believe a new nicely mastered digital format for this one (SACD) would bring out a little more top end and clarity on this, as it sounds a little too thick in spots for me.

Favorite track is "Scared"; and I'm scared I'll pass before this gets an updated Quad release - painful :(

A solid 9 for me!

WAB-Q8.jpg

Back