A Curious Issue With The Isley Brothers' 3+3 Q8

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sjcorne

Staff member
I received a new/sealed copy of this tape from Discogs about a month ago. Was quite a bit cheaper than what the SACD goes for lately.

Finally got a chance to work on some conversions yesterday, so I tore off the plastic, repaired the pad/splice, and popped the tape in. Imagine my shock when I hear Simon & Garfunkel's "The Boxer" coming out of my speakers. I then switched to program 2 and heard "El Condor Pasa".

I isolated the front and back pairs and can confirm that it is most definitely the discrete quad mix of Bridge Over Troubled Water. I have three theories as to what happened:
a) Someone took the S&G tape, put it in the Isley shell, and re-sealed it (why, I don't know).
b) Someone dubbed S&G over the Isley tape, and re-sealed it (again, why??)
c) Columbia actually printed a batch of S&G tapes in Isley shells (unlikely, but who knows).

I didn't pay a lot for it (was around $40 for this and Steely Dan's Can't Buy A Thrill), and it came from an international seller, so it's probably not worth the hassle to return. The Steely tape plays perfectly.

Last edited:
Sounds like a factory error to me. At least it wasn't Jim Nabors!

See the source image

GOLL ~ EEEE!

Yeah, I'm inclined to agree. The plastic covering seemed pretty legitimate. It had even slightly yellowed!

I figure the BOTW tape is worth at least $20. I wonder how many other misprints of this title there are?

Maybe it'll have some 'collectability value' if it was a misprint?! Still a bit of a pain in the arse though... Yeah I suppose it could have been worse In terms of substitute albums?

Maybe it'll have some 'collectability value' if it was a misprint?! Still a bit of a pain in the arse though... Yeah I suppose it could have been worse In terms of substitute albums?

Speaking of, Master Smithers, Will SONY Japan ever release Bridge Over Troubled Waters as a Premium 4.0 SACD in their classy 7" packaging? [if you recall...it was abruptly canceled]!

Last edited:
Speaking of, Master Smithers, Will CDJapan ever release Bridge Over Troubled Waters as a Premium 4.0 SACD in their classy 7" packaging? [if you recall...it was abruptly canceled]!

I do hope so! They really are cool in that packaging.... And very strange how it got pulled at the last minute?! 😵 I have been lucky enough to hear the quad but an official release is what's required. Maybe it'll randomly turn up on another printed SACD one day?!

you realise what you've got there! its the previously unreleased Isley Brothers tribute album to Simon & Garfunkel!

featuring such tracks as..

• Who's That Baby Driver,
  • Sunshine (Bye Bye Love),
  • The Highways Of My Life Over Troubled Water..
and many more! 🤪

I do love the rotating car sounds on the Q8 of "Baby Driver"; also in the movie of the same name!

I do love the rotating car sounds on the Q8 of "Baby Driver"; also in the movie of the same name!

getting serious for a second, i'm sad sj's tape turned up a dud, not least because when i saw he had acquired the 3+3 Q8 i was happy for him but also i hoped he might analyse it and get to the bottom of whether or not Sony had futzed with the channel balances on the SACD :(

getting serious for a second, i'm sad sj's tape turned up a dud, not least because when i saw he had acquired the 3+3 Q8 i was happy for him but also i hoped he might analyse it and get to the bottom of whether or not Sony had futzed with the channel balances on the SACD :(

Right! - I always get a kick out of Jonathan's work here, he's really great at it:) And what's the deal with the balances?

Yeah, Dave analyzed it and found that it was sourced from a 44.1/16 master AND that Sony screwed up the channel balances when converting it to 5.1.

https://www.quadraphonicquad.com/fo...-engineer-vol-3-the-isley-brothers-3-3.18701/
LOL, just noticed Smithers beat me to it.

Are you sure it was 16 bit, Jonathan? According to SD's analysis it was 24 bit....unless I'm misinterpreting the specs.

Number of tracks: 9
Official DR value: DR11

Samplerate: 88200 Hz
Channels: 5
Bits per sample: 24
Bitrate: 5514 kbps
Codec: FLAC
=========

Last edited:
I'll take C and add that the seller wouldn't have had any way to know. That is the risk of NOS, IMHO. When I sell a used recording, I can play grade it.

Heck, some folks might actually pay more for the oddity.

Back