New Formats for 2006

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Your link for DTS-HD leads back to Dolby. I haven't paid much attention to these new formats yet, but this is a good place to start reading about them. Thanks for the links.

Chris

Your link for DTS-HD leads back to Dolby. I haven't paid much attention to these new formats yet, but this is a good place to start reading about them. Thanks for the links.

Chris

Thanks Chris. Nothing like starting a new section off with a bad link!
Shoot, I don't know much about these formats either. Hopefully, those that do will chime in. I assume these are all 7.1 and beyond, to be used mostly for films, but who knows what will happen.

I think Neil has said that one of these is based on the same technology as DVD-Audio.

Hi Jon,

I think it's a good idea to have this section, even though these formats are still quite a bit in the future for me; I want to wait a bit longer until the dust settles and everything gets a bit clearer about HD-DVD and Blu-ray.

Nothing like starting a new section off with a bad link!

Try this one then :D

Best regards,
Oliver

Ooops, you already corrected the link in your first post... this is embarrassing...

Thanks Chris. Nothing like starting a new section off with a bad link!
Shoot, I don't know much about these formats either. Hopefully, those that do will chime in. I assume these are all 7.1 and beyond, to be used mostly for films, but who knows what will happen.

I think Neil has said that one of these is based on the same technology as DVD-Audio.

I think that Dolby True HD is based on MLP but not quite 100% compatable. I Dont however know if that is backwards or forwards compatable.

Hi Jon,

I think it's a good idea to have this section, even though these formats are still quite a bit in the future for me; I want to wait a bit longer until the dust settles and everything gets a bit clearer about HD-DVD and Blu-ray.

Try this one then :D

Best regards,
Oliver

Ooops, you already corrected the link in your first post... this is embarrassing...

It's IMPOSSIBLE to be embarrased at QQ, as we ALL make mistakes! (Especially me!) :mad:@:

Thanks for posting it anyway. Many times I am away from the PC and cannot correct things very quickly.

Jon:

I think this section is a great addition. The QQ membership are a technically savvy lot and I trust their evaluations on equipment a lot more than those over at the AVS forum.

Justin

Jon:

I think this section is a great addition. The QQ membership are a technically savvy lot and I trust their evaluations on equipment a lot more than those over at the AVS forum.

Justin

Thanks Justin, I'm not even sure if there is anything released in these formats, but the ARE surround formats, so they need a home here.

Hopefully we'll get some threads and posts from people "in the know"! :banana:

Any way we can help those understanding the systems they have or can have can only help our cause.Thanks for the new section /if we keep info simple for laymen to follow/trainman92

Dolby TrueHD is an extension of MLP, adding extra channels, plus metadata parameters like dialogue normalisation and dynamic range compression control info (as originally found in Dolby Digital). Dolby TrueHD decoders can decode MLP.

Here's Dolby's TrueHD FAQ.

Dolby TrueHD is an extension of MLP, adding extra channels, plus metadata parameters like dialogue normalisation and dynamic range compression control info (as originally found in Dolby Digital). Dolby TrueHD decoders can decode MLP.

Here's Dolby's TrueHD FAQ.

meaning Sony players may support DVDA going forward, via teh True HD optional codec !

interesting given that the SACD codec is also only optional with Blu ray

I had no idea these formats even existed or were in the works.
Once again QQ has educated me, thanks!

I know, but I somehow could not get Ed into the thread! :D

For misuse of Firesign Theater quotes, I guess I'll have to sit here in the waiting room, or........I could wait here in the sitting room!

I know, but I somehow could not get Ed into the thread! :D

For misuse of Firesign Theater quotes, I guess I'll have to sit here in the waiting room, or........I could wait here in the sitting room!
You're no fun.....you fell right over!

Is there a Bozo's DTS conversion out there?

Back