A new SQ method!!!

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
You've hit the problem on the head. it's the subtraction that is causing the problem, it creates a great stereo stage, but the phase of the test areas (Rear L & R) are so far away from where they should be. I'm using basic sum & difference to do the work as the previous way (cleverly thought up by Lucia - but still had the same phase issues) was subject to some problems, and the cause of much of the rear phase mush that was hard to control (although as noted before, SQ360 did a good job of doing that)

Interesting stuff, will have a close read tonight, girlfriend coming round for dinner, so Quad goes out the window LOL

Anyway, we have the final listening tests to deal with, files have just uploaded, will be in touch soon

What mixer? The decoding is using phase extraction using the afore mentioned CCE

I'm tempted to get sucked into this. You or someone would need to throw me a bone here though. Please understand (just for a minute) that Audition isn't the only DAW ever written. I use Protools (and Reaper for some things). If anyone would care to put any of this in non-Audition specific syntax please do. If this is an Audition fan club only kind of thing... well have fun and best of luck!

I know it's not, i use Cubase myself (have since the Atari days) but it's the only one with the tools (CCE) that allow us to do this.

Believe me, this ISN'T an audition fan club, it's bugged to hell, and not something i'd choose to use.... but......

I'm tempted to get sucked into this. You or someone would need to throw me a bone here though. Please understand (just for a minute) that Audition isn't the only DAW ever written. I use Protools (and Reaper for some things). If anyone would care to put any of this in non-Audition specific syntax please do. If this is an Audition fan club only kind of thing... well have fun and best of luck!

Well the more complicated answers, which I'm always trying to learn more about myself is here. But the short answer is we use Adobe Audition because it's been the only program so far that we know about that can decode SQ/QS recordings because of it's "Center channel extractor" feature that is not on any other program that we know about at this point. We don't know of any other program that can decode Quad other than AA, and many have tried.

AA after 3.0.1 as I understand it, doesn't even have the decoding features we still need. I've used many Audio programs going back to Opcode's "Studio Vision" for Mac. As oxforddickie has mentioned, AA is a buggy program, but it does Quad decoding really nice. Personally I use many audio programs and not just one, because there are specific needs for different purposes, although the learning curve is a pain..

Personally I use many audio programs and not just one, because there are specific needs for different purposes, although the learning curve is a pain..
Yeah, I think I am still in that learning curve.

If you have a few minutes, could you give me a list of the various software programs you use and what you use them for? It would help in stream-lining everything. I still have AA. I am running Windows 7 64-bit.

Come to think of it, has anybody put together a definitive SQ script? I have three. And what about a script for QS. Wasn't there some guy in Germany (can't remember his name) working on just such a thing?

Have you ever tried putting an SQ or QS CD through a processor? I have Sony SQD-1000, 2020 and 2050 and a Sansui QS-1. Since I cannot adjust the Line Outs on my CD or MD players, I am concerned that the output might be too high and damage the equipment (I could be worrying for nothing).

Thank you.

Attachments

• SLA-48.jpg
    SLA-48.jpg
    22.1 KB · Views: 495
Last edited:
I'm sure most if not all long time Quadrophiles run their digital CD, MD players through their favourite processor(s), not just encoded sources but all stereo sources as well. Most processors have an input level control. The outputs from these devices are not all that much higher than what comes out of analog equipment, the worst that would happen would be clipping on the output much like most current CD's do on their own anyway (please stop the loudness wars). The device shown could be used but I wouldn't, if you absolutely have to reduce the level use a passive level control, why add a questionable active component to the signal chain? A 10K pot would be a good choice for this application, or just use a couple of fixed resistors for a fixed gain reduction. I would recommend Audacity as a free audio editor, they seem to of added a lot of features since I looked at it last. I've used Audacity to remap some 6 channel (5.1) wave files to four channel, for playback through Foobar2000 and a four channel sound card.

Thanks for the tip, I didn't see any tutorial but after some playing around I got it figured out. I do still recommend Audacity on the grounds of it's FREE and has has a lot of other useful features for audio editing. Now the conversion question becomes do I put the centre channel in the front, or mix it in all channels (centre top). With the Brad Miller DTS CD's we just drop the centre and Low Effects Channel. I've yet to see any music 5.1 release with anything worthwhile in the LFE channel so it can always be dropped all the bass is in the main channels anyway. As for the centre channel it traditionally goes to the front, however I think for a mix to be played in an automobile centre (top) is better. Discrete mixes from the seventies placed the vocal in the centre (top), while Columbia SQ originally prohibited centre back and thus centre (centre top) positions, so all Columbia releases have the vocal centre front. Surround processors place the vocal centre front as well, that's how they work cancelling common information from the rear. On the other hand the original basic SQ decoder attempted to place the vocalist centre front but due to the lack of separation the vocal appeared equally from the back but out of phase, making the vocalist sound as if he was, as someone put it everywhere at once, or nowhere at once. I would be interested in others opinions of what should be done with the centre channel of 5.1 mix's in four channel playback. Sorry if I'm taking this thread on a bit of a tangent, I am still interested in the software decode of SQ and QS.

I just used this script last night for the first time and it was way faster than the previous one. I ran it on AA 3.0 and it was smooth sailing. Couldn't believe how much easier and faster it worked. I'm upgrading my sound card (finally) so I'm really psyched to do some new decoding projects. Cheers!
-------- Chris

Not sure which script you used but keep in mind that it probably wasn't the "SQ final" script and may have some phase anomalies.

Not sure which script you used but keep in mind that it probably wasn't the "SQ final" script and may have some phase anomalies.

Hi Bob! I'm just using the script found at the beginning of this thread with Phasebug as directed. Looking through the thread here I see there has been a "final SQ" script prepared, but not shared in public if I have that right. I certainly would be interested in having a go at the final script if anyone would want to share it with me. Even with the old script from this thread it's a lot easier than the original one.
-------- Chris

I will be releasing both QS-Final and SQ*Final script sets on my blog in the near future. It will also include a detailed 'How To' guide

I will be releasing both QS-Final and SQ*Final script sets on my blog in the near future. It will also include a detailed 'How To' guide

Wow! That sure would be awesome! I did like the separation the script from this thread produced, but also experienced the same phase issues. I'm just one of those "late to the party" people I guess - heh! I've enjoyed the conversions from your blog (and from others here) since getting into Quad. Awesome work indeed! Bright Moments!
----------- Chris

The script sets used in both process's used by myself, and another releaser, were always 'Beta'. For almost a year now, i've been tinkering with them to see if they can be improved, but there was always a trade of in performance elsewhere.

So, i've decided it was time to admit they are as good as they can be given how the decoding is performed.

Both script sets perform full decoding, including the sides, and are completely phase accurate, with at least 30db separation all round.

I just need to finish the 'How To' document

Looking for an update.

Did OD ever release the new set of scripts and the "How to..." manual. I checked-out his blog "Dreaming Spires". I don't see anything there.

Any information will be great!

Back