A TRIBUTE TO QUAD's UNSUNG HEROES

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well nobody said "Yeay" or "Nay".. :eek: ..but I removed the Jim Reeves Quad engineering credit for Bookends anyway :)

Maybe it should be there with an asterix, explaining below that he may have confused it with the title that did come out.

Maybe it should be there with an asterix, explaining below that he may have confused it with the title that did come out.

Oops.. :eek: Sorry I deleted it already. I'll put it back in again with an asterix no problem,
as soon as I'm back on the computer, it's impossible trying to do all the copying & pasting on the phone which is what I'm talking to you from now. Thanks for your input, much appreciated :)

Well nobody said "Yeay" or "Nay".. :eek: ..but I removed the Jim Reeves Quad engineering credit for Bookends anyway :)

My answer is "nay" don't remove the credit.

It's important that we acknowledge these rarities, mixed, but never released.
Hell one day....we could actually see it issued-----and that. Is. a. distinct. possibility !! (eg.Laura Nyro)

My answer is "nay" don't remove the credit.

It's important that we acknowledge these rarities, mixed, but never released.
Hell one day....we could actually see it issued-----and that. Is. a. distinct. possibility !! (eg.Laura Nyro)

Have you ever had any contact with Jim Reeves?
Wonder if there's any way to get confirmation on a Bookends Quad.. maybe you've a source, like a published interview where he mentions mixing it?

Have you ever had any contact with Jim Reeves?
Wonder if there's any way to get confirmation on a Bookends Quad.. maybe you've a source, like a published interview where he mentions mixing it?

No.

I could swear, but now I'm not 100% , that the source came from Quad Linda.?

It is also worth noting that most if not all of Mr. Reeves quad mixes were never issued .For reasons only he would know.

Wow,!!

Four Quads Never Released Previously !! Produced and Mixed in QUADRAPHONIC between 1969-1971, by Jim Reeves...

PAUL REVERE & THE RAIDERS-PAUL REVERE & THE RAIDERS

LAURA NYRO-BEADS OF SWEAT

SIMON & GARFUNKLE-BOOKENDS

EDGAR WINTER-WHITE TRASH (with Jerry LaCroix)

early quad mixes too.69-71

It shows us that CBS/COLUMBIA RECORDS was readying quad mixes a few years prior to their SQ LP launch.

Wow,!!

Four Quads Never Released Previously !! Produced and Mixed in QUADRAPHONIC between 1969-1971, by Jim Reeves...

PAUL REVERE & THE RAIDERS-PAUL REVERE & THE RAIDERS

LAURA NYRO-BEADS OF SWEAT

SIMON & GARFUNKLE-BOOKENDS

EDGAR WINTER-WHITE TRASH (with Jerry LaCroix)

early quad mixes too.69-71

It shows us that CBS/COLUMBIA RECORDS was readying quad mixes a few years prior to their SQ LP launch.

Alright FW! :upthumb

Well, whats the consensus everyone? Mods?

Shall I add these to the list?

I mean, I'm now finding it hard to question the information about these Jim Reeves mixes at all, since I can say for sure that two of these exist in some form at least to this day and I have heard one of these albums in 4-ch v.recently (thank you to *!@?£^%&()*.. ah you know who you are!.. ;) ..actually, are we even allowed to mention the Robin Reels in public? never really know where we are with that..)

I think I said this earlier on the thread, but I personally wouldn't add anything to the list that hasn't a) been released and b) isn't actually credited on an album sleeve. If you start adding rumours and supposed credits you head down a pretty slippery slope.

Jim Reeves' website is fascinating and the quad mixes he claims to have done are tantalising without a doubt but I don't think think this is the place to acknowledge them.

I think I said this earlier on the thread, but I personally wouldn't add anything to the list that hasn't a) been released and b) isn't actually credited on an album sleeve. If you start adding rumours and supposed credits you head down a pretty slippery slope.

Jim Reeves' website is fascinating and the quad mixes he claims to have done are tantalising without a doubt but I don't think think this is the place to acknowledge them.

Message received and understood, thanks! :upthumb

Ok, so we're currently 1 vote apiece for including/excluding these Jim Reeves' (officially unreleased) Quads.. any more for any more?

Just to recap on the original intention of this thread, when I referred to these fellows as "Unsung heroes" of Quad, I meant it to be about the engineers who seldom got (or get) a mention, beyond a passing footnote in a trade mag of the time, or a tiny credit on an old Quad record sleeve (seldom/never a mention on the Q8s from what I can gather..?) sometimes those Quad album credits were tucked away in the inner sleeves of the Quad LPs, or even in the gatefolds of a few of them I have found (Wayne Tarnowski's Chicago Quad LPs were almost indecipherable in several cases and in the most teeny tiny print, in a barely legible hand-written style font!).. now some of those credits have made it to modern day reissues on AF SACD, etc.. (no doubt thanks to people like bmoura the Multichannel Maven!) however many credits have not made it to other SACD and DTS CD reissues of Quad material and so forth.. so, by "unsung", personally I didn't mean it to be about "unreleased" mixes and mixers but what did make it out..

so.. yeah.. I guess you could make that another vote for not including credits for the Quad mixers & mixes where we are not 100% sure of their status and/or were never officially released (or rather, yet to be officially released...).

Current scoreline:
Yes = 1
No = 2

Well, we know "White Trash" exists as a Mike Robin reel (sure we can talk about them, we have a whole page about them as well as a few threads). Actually, so does the Paul Revere, so at least some of his work must have been done on these.

Damn shame there was no Mike Robin reel of "Bookends"!!

Well, we know "White Trash" exists as a Mike Robin reel (sure we can talk about them, we have a whole page about them as well as a few threads). Actually, so does the Paul Revere, so at least some of his work must have been done on these.

So... what do you think we should do? :eek:

To include or not to include?

That is the question! (as Bill Shakespeare mighta said.. if they had had Quad in them there days! :D )

Actually it would make things rather interesting if you consider the Jim Reeves Quads should be included here, Jon.. that would make it a 2-2 stalemate!

Excitinggggg.....!!!! :yikes

Ps. Thanks for the clarification on the Robin Reels.. I don't really know anything about them.. and have only ever heard 1 of them..!

Jesus fn k -Rist !!

Are you telling us never to trust a Recording Engineer !

Now freddie asks if I had a confirmation on Jim Reeves w/ Bookends ? Well I did not have one (thought QL might know or had info).

So, what the hell I googled, "Jim Reeves Quad Mixes"

and came up with his website, but still no confirm.

then I checked his recording credit "clicked on actually"......and sure enough scrolled down to find his QUADS for Columbia !!
and supplied links for anyone to peruse. (That 2nd link don't work-btw)

What more does one have to do???

Even with the Chicago -first album on Rhino Quadio --is missing Wayne Tarnowski's quad mix credit, do we eliminate him !!?? (It's on the SQ LP )

summation:

I consider anyone who mixed a quad album a "Quads Unsung Heroes" -hero !

I agree,

Mike Robin (Physics Teacher by trade) really lucked out big time when he obtained those Quad Reels.

They were being "disposed of" by CBS of what I know and who knows how many other quad rarities there were, or how many were "tossed"!
And now they are important to Neo-quadraphiles, and surround enthusiasts.....not just us old quadraphiles.

BTW Thanks for putting them on QQ for all to see. (Home page for anyone interested)(y)

Jesus fn k -Rist !!

Are you telling us never to trust a Recording Engineer !

Now freddie asks if I had a confirmation on Jim Reeves w/ Bookends ? Well I did not have one (thought QL might know or had info).

So, what the hell I googled, "Jim Reeves Quad Mixes"

and came up with his website, but still no confirm.

then I checked his recording credit "clicked on actually"......and sure enough scrolled down to find his QUADS for Columbia !!
and supplied links for anyone to peruse. (That 2nd link don't work-btw)

What more does one have to do???

Even with the Chicago -first album on Rhino Quadio --is missing Wayne Tarnowski's quad mix credit, do we eliminate him !!?? (It's on the SQ LP )

summation:

I consider anyone who mixed a quad album a "Quads Unsung Heroes" -hero !

oh do calm down dear! :p its just for fun! :D

Tarnowski's on the SQ LP of CTA, so that's concrete that it happened and concrete (-ish) that it was done by him.. ;)

more seriously, your vote is important and i thank you for it :upthumb its been added to the tally.. and when we've had enough responses (1 or 2 more would do it for me, to be honest.. but maybe its just you, me, Dave and Jon who care enough to pipe up, in which case we're at a bit of an impasse! :eek:

if we're no further forward by the end of the week, lets make a final decision then, shall we? :)

Back