Adding Quad Help

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

johnestan

Hi,

I've been obsessed with multi-channel music for a few years. Up to this point, I've only been using the modern formats (SACD, DVD-A, and Blu-ray). I have an Oppo 103 (RIP Oppo) that I pipe into a Pioneer VSX-1021-K and 7.1 surround. I also have a 1981 Mitsubishi X-10 turntable that I've fixed up. I'm fascinated by quad era, but adding support for any of the formats seems daunting. Mainly because my receiver doesn't have analog inputs. Is there a cheap but somewhat simple way to add a quad source to my system. Could I use a 4 channel amplifier and hook 2 set of wires to my speakers?

I ran out of 4-channel inputs on the quad receiver in my home office, so I bought 2 of these little stereo switch boxes (one for front, one for rear). I don't use the video inputs, just the analog audio. They are VERY cheap (US$25 a PAIR ... WITH shipping) and I didn't expect much, but they work very well.

Connect the outputs of the switch boxes to the multichannel analog inputs on the receiver, then connect your OPPO unit (front and rear channels) and up to three quad sources to the switch box inputs. Connect the remaining (Centre, Sub, Back) OPPO output channels directly into the receiver's multichannel analog input.

https://www.ebay.ca/itm/4-Port-4-In...ter-Adapter-/222874689486?hash=item33e45ddfce

Switch Box.jpg

Last edited:
I ran out of 4-channel inputs on the quad receiver in my home office, so I bought 2 of these little stereo switch boxes (one for front, one for rear). I don't use the video inputs, just the analog audio. They are VERY cheap (US$25 a PAIR ... WITH shipping) and I didn't expect much, but they work very well.

Connect the outputs of the switch boxes to the multichannel analog inputs on the receiver, then connect your OPPO unit (front and rear channels) and up to three quad sources to the switch box inputs. Connect the remaining (Centre, Sub, Back) OPPO output channels directly into the receiver's multichannel analog input.

https://www.ebay.ca/itm/4-Port-4-In...ter-Adapter-/222874689486?hash=item33e45ddfce

View attachment 32574
Those are nice, but I don't have analog multichannel inputs on my receiver. I was thinking of buying a quad 8 track player with amplification and using a switch to flip between my modern receiver and the 8 track. Will that work? I think a switch with with raw speaker wire connection will make more sense in my configuration. I'd love to run it through my receiver, but I've read there's not a good solution for converting 4.0 analog to hdmi. Also is something like this the easiest way to work with rca speakers connection now and days?

Last edited:
I wouldn't do it. The amplifiers in those 8-track players are VERY low-powered, and they can damage your speakers if you aren't careful. Also, they were very poor quality, and you might discover that the hard way. Lastly, if you don't already have a collection of Q8 tapes, it is probably not worth starting one. Almost all 8-track cartridges will now need new sensing tape (as a minimum). I have two Q8 tapes, and neither of them work.

I assume that you are young, and you like the cool factor, but you also probably don't know why people stopped using 8-track tape 40+ years ago. There are collectors, but they are a load of trouble unless you are a true fanboy ... and you are prepared to do a load of maintenance on the player and the tapes. Check on YouTube for some videos. Even getting cartridges apart can be a nightmare.

You are probably going to need an AVR with analog inputs. All legacy formats are analog as you know.

I posted on the Surround Master thread that Involve Audio are considering making a 5.1 analog to HDMI converter. Please email them and tell them you want one.

Involve Audio makes some very nice gear, but it will likely be less expensive to upgrade the receiver to one with a multichannel analog input. In any case, HDMI can be a massive pain in the butt. I avoid it for audio at all costs.

I wouldn't do it. The amplifiers in those 8-track players are VERY low-powered, and they can damage your speakers if you aren't careful. Also, they were very poor quality, and you might discover that the hard way. Lastly, if you don't already have a collection of Q8 tapes, it is probably not worth starting one. Almost all 8-track cartridges will now need new sensing tape (as a minimum). I have two Q8 tapes, and neither of them work.

I assume that you are young, and you like the cool factor, but you also probably don't know why people stopped using 8-track tape 40+ years ago. There are collectors, but they are a load of trouble unless you are a true fanboy ... and you are prepared to do a load of maintenance on the player and the tapes. Check on YouTube for some videos. Even getting cartridges apart can be a nightmare.
Q8 just looked like the easiest entry point into quad. CD-4 would require a new receiver/demodulator, and cartridge. I've listened to a few matrix LPs runs through the Adobe Audition scripts, but I wanted to give discrete quad a try. Can you elaborate or point me somewhere about the amps being VERY low-powered? Did older speakers take less power to drive?

Can you elaborate or point me somewhere about the amps being VERY low-powered? Did older speakers take less power to drive?

You will just have to trust me. Those low-end units didn't even have RMS power measurements ... 'Music Power' was used.
Older speakers weren't more efficient, but those systems came with cheesy 5" single-driver speakers. They made sound ... that's about it.

Back