AKAI 202D-SS recording issues.

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jarvizo_quad

Hi all. I have an AKAI 202d-ss machne that i've had for years & had no issue. I put it away for a few months, then upon testing it out to try & sell, I came across a major issue. & it's present when attempting to record in both 2 channel & 4 channel modes as well as though the RCA & MIC inputs. While recording & monitoring, I get the VU meters peaking with a full strong signal, but when I go to play back what I've just recorded it's very low & only comes out of the right front & rear. Prerecorded tapes & tapes that were previously recorded with this machine playback fine. It's only with recent recordings. Any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
Jacob

As its across all channels, and inputs, its possibly a failure in the Bias Oscillator circuitry. Without sufficient biasing on to the tape, the audio won't get 'imprinted' properly. Not something you can check without an oscilloscope. Not certain as to why only Right F & R output though.

Just checkin'...I made a big mistake a few years ago when I erased several tapes using a bulk eraser too close to my 4 tape decks. Took me a few hours to determine what I had done. Demagged all of the tape heads and all was good again.

As its across all channels, and inputs, its possibly a failure in the Bias Oscillator circuitry. Without sufficient biasing on to the tape, the audio won't get 'imprinted' properly. Not something you can check without an oscilloscope. Not certain as to why only Right F & R output though.
is that something worth fixing, or look for another deck?

is that something worth fixing, or look for another deck?
I'd say it is worth getting fixed, if it is to do with Bias then my guess is that as its an old machine a capacitor has gone open/short, possibly a transistor gone. The issue really is until somebody gets it and has a look you don't know, or how much it would cost to fix. I don't own any Quad R-to-R just two stereo ones. I paid £144 for the Akai 4000D back in 1977 and around £250 to have it serviced and a noisy channel sorted (I couldn't be bothered to fix the noisy channel myself!) last year.

Back