Akai CR80D-SS Crackling Sound, How To Eliminate it?

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ghalteman

I have a an Akai CR-80 SS Q8 deck that sounds super, but there is a crackling sound usually due to tape position that I find hard to minimize or eliminate, especially on Columbia tapes. Constanly have to move the cartridge back and forth. The pressure wheel that holds the cartridge is also set properly. The deck has been demagnatized and a new pressure pad in in the cartridge. Still I have the sound.
Much less to no crackle on my Harman Kardon 8 +, but my Akai with it's new transistors sounds brighter. I like to know how to fix the problem. Any suggestions?

I have a an Akai CR-80 SS Q8 deck that sounds super, but there is a crackling sound usually due to tape position that I find hard to minimize or eliminate, especially on Columbia tapes. Constanly have to move the cartridge back and forth. The pressure wheel that holds the cartridge is also set properly. The deck has been demagnatized and a new pressure pad in in the cartridge. Still I have the sound.
Much less to no crackle on my Harman Kardon 8 +, but my Akai with it's new transistors sounds brighter. I like to know how to fix the problem. Any suggestions?

don't know where you would use it, but deoxit is amazing at stopping these types of issues in electronics.

On mine, I buffed the head with Flitz (German-made chrome polish) using wood handled Qtips held by strong needlenose pliers, then washed several times with alcohol to eliminate any Flitz and demagnetized. The head was cleaned normally and looked clean before I started. This was after trying a lot of other possible (electronic) fixes. YMMV.

Although I've never had that problem with 8-Tracks, I have with cassettes and it ended up being I had to ground the head assembly with a separate wire. Static was discharging.

Doug

I'll have to check about the grounding issue. That makes sense. the heads are clean, but I do have some cassette head cleaner to try. I'll look into the polishing issue as well, less friction always helps.

I tried Radio Shack Tape head Lubricant and there was no difference.

I hear a little cracking on the Harman Kardon 8+ although the tape is easily positioned to avoid it, but not nearly the amount as the Akai.

Last edited:
I have one of these machines and had the same problems.
#1 was discussed quite a bit on the old 8-track usenet forum
#1) cover the track change detection head. There is an electrical leakage going from that head to the playback head that can cause the crackling
- this also means you have to manually change from program 1 to program 2 and back.
#2) even after #1, I still started to get crackle again.
Put in a recordable tape, depress the record button with play, don't depress the record button with play, repeat several times.
Apparently there is something that need cleaning between the adjacent record and play buttons.

That is what worked for me.

vinylguy4

Although I've never had that problem with 8-Tracks, I have with cassettes and it ended up being I had to ground the head assembly with a separate wire. Static was discharging.

Doug

how is this done? is it as simple as soldering a wire from the head assembly to the chassis?

I remember reading years ago about putting a capacitor in there somewhere to correct that noise. I think it was on the track changer contacts, but my memory is fuzzy. I'll try to find that info, but a Google search might find something.

Back