Alan Parsons confirmed the Eye In The Sky MCH mix!!!!! :) :)

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I ended up listening to both stereo and 5.1 mixes. So far, there’s a couple of things I found right off the bat. 🦇

The lead vocal on Psychobabble is mixed too low. There’s a slight miss-Step as the drums start at the beginning of Step By Step. Listen to the stereo version to see what I mean. You’re Going To Get Your Fingers Burned is not very dynamic sounding compared to the Stereo version. There’s one song, I think it was Children Of The Moon that had this drum echo bleeding into the rear channels, that I did not like but got used to as the song went on.

This is after only one listen. I can nit-pick but, overall, this is the best I’ve heard (less digital brightness) this album since the vinyl days, and I own the Classic Records HDAD version.

If AP decides to mix the rest of the catalog in 5.1, I’ll buy the entire catalog but hoping he does up to, at least, Ammonia Avenue. I’ll purchase multiple copies of Pyramid and Eve alone. (y)
The idea that there is an out-of-place beginning for the drums in the 5.1 version (step by step) intrigued me, so I listened to both stereo and surround several times.
In the end, I have to disagree; the drums appear to start on the beginning of the guitar chord he picks in each.
But, the mastering of the guitar is a little different, to these old ears. Cheers!

I think the confusion is the word "compression". When used in the context of reducing the size of audio files, the word "compression" must be further qualified as lossless or lossy. MP3 is a lossy compression process. DTS MA is a lossless compression process. A lossy compression process uses algorithms that may discard information in order to reduce the size of a file and promises only to approximate the original when the file is decompressed. A lossless compression process uses algorithms that reduce the size of a file, but is able to restore the file to its exact original form when the file is decompressed.

The idea that there is an out-of-place beginning for the drums in the 5.1 version (step by step) intrigued me, so I listened to both stereo and surround several times.
In the end, I have to disagree; the drums appear to start on the beginning of the guitar chord he picks in each.
But, the mastering of the guitar is a little different, to these old ears. Cheers!
I have to agree to disagree. Who’s on first? Why, I oughta!

On my disc, there’s definitely a difference. It sounds similar to a record skipping but kind of like a half skip.
Possibly, even a stutter.

Last edited:
So Perpendicular, what disc player do you own?
This site, AFAIK, has no provision for storing a member's gear.

In and of themselves, there is no difference between codecs DTS-MA, TrueHD, MLP or LPCM.

If you're referring to the DTS HD MA 5.1 versus the LPCM 5.1 on the Alan Parson's Eye in the Sky BD~A, both are LOSSLESS.

Plain Vanilla DTS 5.1 is LOSSY.

Is there a 5.1 LPCM version on the Eye In The Sky BluRay disc?
I have been searching the net for info on this for 2 days and all I could find was
2.0 96kHz 24bit PCM or 5.1 DTS HD MA
So a few minutes ago I cancelled my order on Amazon because I can not decode DTS HD MA. My AVR is old and all it can do is play the (lossy) DTS core if fed with DTS HD MA, and my brand new BluRay player feeds 44.1kHz 16bit stereo if the bitstream is set to 'Off'. :-(
I haven't found a shot of the back cover of the BluRay disc on any site to see if LPCM 5.1 is included or not.

Not that my ears can discern, and I know of no reliable blind test that has been carried out to say there is any difference. Others may disagree and say there is an audible difference, but if lossless is "lossless", I don't understand how. A PCM track which is "losslessly" encoded and then decoded returns back to the original PCM track doesn't it?

On the King Crimson DVDs I did a A/B and preferred the DTS over the PCM. Hard to describe why: something about the DTS "opened the sound" and something about the PCM "flattened" it. Probably something to do with my Denon decoders, I suppose. . . .

I have been searching the net for info on this for 2 days and all I could find was
So a few minutes ago I cancelled my order on Amazon because I can not decode DTS HD MA. My AVR is old and all it can do is play the (lossy) DTS core if fed with DTS HD MA, and my brand new BluRay player feeds 44.1kHz 16bit stereo if the bitstream is set to 'Off'. :-(
I haven't found a shot of the back cover of the BluRay disc on any site to see if LPCM 5.1 is included or not.

Many times there are full resolution LPCM tracks on BluRay disks that are not listed in the album contents. I would say most releases do have an LPCM track, but of course, not all do.

Your player should have the ability to do the decoding if you so choose. Read this from Opus Productions: http://www.opusproductions.com/disc/setup.html Very helpful for me.

Your player should have the ability to do the decoding if you so choose. Read this from Opus Productions: http://www.opusproductions.com/disc/setup.html Very helpful for me.
Thanks for trying to help. I have read the page you provided the link to but it does not tell me anything I didn't already know.
So I did some more search and found out that around 2013 Sony dropped the feature of decoding Dolby TrueHD or DTS HD-MA in their players, so you can only bitstream those to an AVR or processor that actually have the codecs to decode :-(
That's why I get a lousy stereo PCM or plain lossy DTS if I choose DTS HD-MA in my brand new (and first ever) bluray player. And the fan is SO loud when you play a disc. No wonder I had been avoiding jumping on the bluray audio wagon. I have been so happy with DVD-A and SACD...

Thanks for trying to help. I have read the page you provided the link to but it does not tell me anything I didn't already know.
So I did some more search and found out that around 2013 Sony dropped the feature of decoding Dolby TrueHD or DTS HD-MA in their players, so you can only bitstream those to an AVR or processor that actually have the codecs to decode :-(
That's why I get a lousy stereo PCM or plain lossy DTS if I choose DTS HD-MA in my brand new (and first ever) bluray player. And the fan is SO loud when you play a disc. No wonder I had been avoiding jumping on the bluray audio wagon. I have been so happy with DVD-A and SACD...
I'm not doubting your research, but I did a quick search on Crutchfield's site and found the Sony UBP-X700 ($199.99), that decodes both Dolby True HD and DTS HD-MA among others. These are such common formats I can't believe a new player would not be able to decode them. And I'm assuming you have a Sony because you mentioned it regarding your research. This looks to be a very versatile player for a rock bottom price. https://www.crutchfield.com/p_158X700/Sony-UBP-X700.html?tp=171 PS: Just noticing you're in Hungary, I wonder if Sony sells different spec'd. products in different countries? Hope you find a solution. I just broke down and sprung for the box set. Haven't had time for a proper listen yet.

I love my Sony UBP-X800 and got it for well under $150. It plays nearly every disc known to man. Only thing is it's US region. Not sure if it can be region unlocked.
Otherwise, I'm covered for Dolby CD, DTS CD, DVD-V, DVD-A, SACD, BD-V and BD-A. Dolby TrueHD, Atmos, DTS HD-MA, etc.

For discs from other regions I still have my OPPO BDP-103.

I'm not doubting your research, but I did a quick search on Crutchfield's site and found the Sony UBP-X700 ($199.99), that decodes both Dolby True HD and DTS HD-MA among others. These are such common formats I can't believe a new player would not be able to decode them. And I'm assuming you have a Sony because you mentioned it regarding your research. This looks to be a very versatile player for a rock bottom price. https://www.crutchfield.com/p_158X700/Sony-UBP-X700.html?tp=171 PS: Just noticing you're in Hungary, I wonder if Sony sells different spec'd. products in different countries? Hope you find a solution. I just broke down and sprung for the box set. Haven't had time for a proper listen yet.
I don't want to further highjack this thread.
My player is a Sony BDP-s6700. It does decode DTS HD-MA but NOT into high-res mch PCM. It provides a simple stereo PCM even over the HDMI port.
Now, as the APP Eye In The Sky is provided with high-res 5.1 LPCM sound, it poses no problem, but the issue is a serious letdown with DTS HD-MA movie soundtracks or the occasional blu-ray audio disc. I have cotacted Sony support about this, waiting for their technician's response.

My player is a Sony BDP-s6700. It does decode DTS HD-MA but NOT into high-res mch PCM. It provides a simple stereo PCM even over the HDMI port.
Now, as the APP Eye In The Sky is provided with high-res 5.1 LPCM sound, it poses no problem, but the issue is a serious letdown with DTS HD-MA movie soundtracks or the occasional blu-ray audio disc. I have cotacted Sony support about this, waiting for their technician's response.
I know this is getting off topic, but I'm confused. I assumed if a 5.1 audio track was encoded with DTS HD-MA, it would be decoded as 5.1. But I'm far from an expert on audio codecs and Blu-ray players. Hopefully Sony has an answer.

Either your player decodes DTS HD-MA or it doesn't. Simple as that. If your electronics downstream from the player can't handle it, it's not the players fault.
I looked up the spec on your player and it supports DTS HD-MA and TrueHD as will every BD player I've ever seen as it is part of the BD spec.

Either your player decodes DTS HD-MA or it doesn't. Simple as that. If your electronics downstream from the player can't handle it, it's not the players fault.
I looked up the spec on your player and it supports DTS HD-MA and TrueHD as will every BD player I've ever seen as it is part of the BD spec.
Sorry, but (sadly) you are wrong.
It took me several days to find a detailed specs sheet of my player on the net (even the manual and the product site neglect the fact about decodability).
So here it is in a Sony document (click the link if you wish to leaf it through) at the bottom of page 6: "DTS - DTS decoding (2ch)"
On the next page the same for Dolby TrueHD: "Decodability - Dolby® Dolby True HD decoding (2ch)"
Sorry again for derailing the thread. The happy news is that the Eye In The Sky Blu-Ray disc includes high-res mch. LPCM

Last edited:
Sorry, I assumed that when the overview specs on the player touted DTS-HD-MA & Dolby TrueHD capability that it actually had that capability.
Really deceptive and actually dishonest marketing by Sony. No wonder the thing retails for 1/2 the msrp.
Sorry warp. I'd start saving for a more capable player.

I love my Sony UBP-X800 and got it for well under $150. It plays nearly every disc known to man. Only thing is it's US region. Not sure if it can be region unlocked.
Otherwise, I'm covered for Dolby CD, DTS CD, DVD-V, DVD-A, SACD, BD-V and BD-A. Dolby TrueHD, Atmos, DTS HD-MA, etc.

For discs from other regions I still have my OPPO BDP-103.

Hello edisonbaggins,

Got a question for you.

Does the Sony UBP-X800 plays DVD-A and SACD in ISO format burn on DVD-R/DVD+R?

I considering buying one as back up for my OPPO's

Thank you

Kind regards,

Last edited:
Back