Album art on Oppo

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
In my experience, pretty much all you'll get reliably from streaming to the Oppo is good sound, and even then only if you have whole-album files (optionally with cue sheets) and not individual-track files. Everything else (cover art, track skipping, fast-forwarding, whatever) seems to be at the whim of the player and inconsistent. Cover art seems to sometimes work for me if it's Folder.jpg in the same directory as the audio files but is more reliable when actually embedded in the FLAC. Cover art with .dff + cue sheet just never works.
Thanks for your comments. But to be clear. I'm not streaming to the Oppo.....I'm playing music files directly via a USB installed in the front port of the Oppo. :)

OK, perp is absolutely correct. Or at least, on the right track. Track, did I just say track....lmao

Anyway - I took the same files, reduced the size of the "front" jpg file and boom. It displays via the Oppo. That is very discouraging to me....
I'm an album art sort of guy...so this just sucks donkey....I have about 900 albums with album art that is in the 800kb range.......now what do I do? ugh....

Not so sure. I looked in both the 103 manual and in the FAQ’s and couldn’t find an answer. Also, still awaiting an answer from one of the other beta testers to know for sure. I could have sworn that it didn’t like files above a certain size. Though, this May not be a limitation with the newer UDP series.

Reactions: GOS
Would that resolve my problem of 900 albums with higher resolution jpg's? If I have to fix them 1 at a time...then I'm screwed.

You can go by album...I did all 600 of my albums and it was surprisingly fast

Believe me, I had the same problem when I moved from Foobar to Oppo. Wondered why some artwork files worked and others didn't. Read about "folder" on some forum or other, and it worked for me ever since. BTW, you are far from being a noob. You've been on this forum for as long as I can remember. Course, at my age that period of time becomes shorter and shorter.

And, just to be transparent for other noobs like me. You may have previously stated it, but many of us come from foobar territory and we have reasons for naming album covers "front". In foobar, you can name "front", back", "artist", etc. And, it can cycle through those and display them as you wish. So, that's where I'm coming from. I thought maybe naming them "front" or "folder" were interchangeable ideas. Guess not.

You can go by album...I did all 600 of my albums and it was surprisingly fast
Would you care to go deeper in detail? I'd be happy to try that method, only I don't want to spend 2 weeks trying to figure out how to do it. :)
I know, I Know. This stuff just isn't super easy to me....sometimes instructions are the best for me. If it's not too much to ask. :LB

At least one caveat still applies: DSD playback will not be gapless unless the album is in a single large file.

This is one of the reasons why I switched from using my OPPO 205 to my Denon 4400 AVR. The Denon plays gapless .dsf files. Though, about two weeks ago, I had to switch back to the OPPO because with the last HEOS update, my files have audio dropouts on all file types. :mad:

This is one of the reasons why I switched from using my OPPO 205 to my Denon 4400 AVR. The Denon plays gapless .dsf files. Though, about two weeks ago, I had to switch back to the OPPO because with the last HEOS update, my files have audio dropouts on all file types. :mad:

In my experience, there's one and only one streaming system that has reliably worked for years: The Logitech Squeezebox. EVERYTHING else I've tried has some limitation or shortcoming or anger-inducing stupidity. Of course, the Logitech system has one huge limitation of its own: No lossless multichannel, only DTS and AC-3. I've been chasing a multichannel equivalent for longer than I'd care to think about now. The only thing that works for me is the Oppo with giant full-album tracks (FLAC or DSD). Though just within the last few days I've discovered that running LibreELEC on an Odroid C2 works fine with single-track multichannel FLACs. Unfortunately, though it attempts to transcode DSD, it suffers from dropouts.

Would you care to go deeper in detail? I'd be happy to try that method, only I don't want to spend 2 weeks trying to figure out how to do it. :)
I know, I Know. This stuff just isn't super easy to me....sometimes instructions are the best for me. If it's not too much to ask. :LB

I'd be happy to...I'm mobile at the moment, but I'll get back to you later from my PC with pics and specific instructions

1. Download "mp3tag" from here: https://www.mp3tag.de/en/

2. Point it toward the directory with your FLAC files and it will scan them
scan.png

3. Once it finishes scanning you'll see this- you can sort by artist, album, date
deadwing_sort.jpg

4. You can add a cover file using the box on the bottom right corner
add cover.jpg

4. Finally, save the tagged art
saveas.jpg

Hope this helps...I'd recommend testing it on a few files first to see if the Oppo will read the embedded tag. If it does, you'll have to work out some sort of schedule to tag everything. Maybe do 30-40 albums per day or something like that and eventually you'll have them all tagged. I have 5000 songs (between 5 and 600 albums) and it took me just under a week.

A late thanks to sjcorne for the thorough response. I have no recollection what I did.....but I suspect I did a mass batch change. Now all of my cover art is called "folder".....only so they all display on my Oppo.

1. Download "mp3tag" from here: https://www.mp3tag.de/en/

2. Point it toward the directory with your FLAC files and it will scan them
View attachment 32499

3. Once it finishes scanning you'll see this- you can sort by artist, album, date
View attachment 32501

4. You can add a cover file using the box on the bottom right corner
View attachment 32502

4. Finally, save the tagged art
View attachment 32503

Hope this helps...I'd recommend testing it on a few files first to see if the Oppo will read the embedded tag. If it does, you'll have to work out some sort of schedule to tag everything. Maybe do 30-40 albums per day or something like that and eventually you'll have them all tagged. I have 5000 songs (between 5 and 600 albums) and it took me just under a week.

:love: Just found this post - most excellent - Thanks!!!

My turn at this. Spent time the past couple 2-3 weekends preparing two external hard drives for my OPPO players; a BDP-93 for quad system and a BDP-103 for the 5.1 system. All of the cover artwork is named folder.jpg (by me or usingmp3tag). When I took the quad drive to that system it worked great but no artwork? I only checked 6-10 albums but didn't see them displayed. The jpg files are variable in size, does the OPPO scale them or do I need to get fussy and re-size?

I did play with a drive and a few files last year on a PREVIOUS BDP-93 and thought it was displaying artwork (folder.jpg covers) but I could be wrong. Maybe, probably, I dunno. Am I missing a setting on this newer BDP-93? Any input is appreciated. I'll be dragging the drive back to the PC to number tracks so all of the albums play sequentially. The things you learn...

When I took the quad drive to that system it worked great but no artwork?

I can't remember for sure, but Oppo might prefer the artwork to be embedded in the actual FLAC.

A couple years back I threw in the towel and started doing all my multichannel stuff as single giant files with embedded art AND separate Folder.jpg + cue sheets because that was the only method that seemed to be truly universally compatible. But now that I've settled on that, I can't remember which setups had which quirks that ultimately drove me to it.

OK, I tried both Simon and George way and neither seemed to work. Let me back up and tell the story and then you can tell me what I'm doing wrong.

I backup my America Hearts SACD to Flac files. Once I have those flac files in a folder (folder is named same as album title), I then find a picture of the album cover, save it to the same folder and name it literally "front" and save as a .jpg.

When I play those flac files in foobar, the album art is displayed.

I took those same files and folder and dropped onto a USB memory stick. Plugged into the front of my Oppo 103 and they play just fine, only no album art is displayed. I even turned off the gracenote feature and still it didn't display the art.

So, based on that, it seems that no matter which way I leave it, no album art.
OK gang - what do I need to do differently to see the front album art through the Oppo via USB? :)
Why don't you embed the artwork in the files metadata? Some programs like to artwork to be called folder.jpg or sometimes cover.jpg works as well.

My turn at this. Spent time the past couple 2-3 weekends preparing two external hard drives for my OPPO players; a BDP-93 for quad system and a BDP-103 for the 5.1 system. All of the cover artwork is named folder.jpg (by me or usingmp3tag). When I took the quad drive to that system it worked great but no artwork? I only checked 6-10 albums but didn't see them displayed. The jpg files are variable in size, does the OPPO scale them or do I need to get fussy and re-size?

I did play with a drive and a few files last year on a PREVIOUS BDP-93 and thought it was displaying artwork (folder.jpg covers) but I could be wrong. Maybe, probably, I dunno. Am I missing a setting on this newer BDP-93? Any input is appreciated. I'll be dragging the drive back to the PC to number tracks so all of the albums play sequentially. The things you learn...
Don't know about a BDP-93, but on the 205, as long as I have that folder.jpg in the album's folder in will show up (I often do embed the flac files in Foobar2000, but Foobar also doesn't seem to want to change metadata tagging with dsf files from SACDs; and that's when I'll use Mp3tag.) I have all kinds of sized jpg covers, and it doesn't seem to matter that way.
And, you are doing separate title folders to hold the music right? Otherwise maybe it wouldn't know which one to use if they're not imbedded.

Thanks folks, I need to check a lot more of these albums to know what's working or not. Artwork file is inside album folder every time.
Albums were copied to the HDD as follows:
1) with existing track titles + folder.jpg 25%
2) no existing track titles / art - used mp3tag to tag them 50%
3) no existing track titles / art - used mp3tag to tag tracks + the folder.jpg added manually 25%

Mileage definitely will vary; will report findings.

Back