ALL ABOUT MUSIC #2 - Non Surround, Not Covered In Other Threads

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
There is a thread about STYX somewhere.....we all been talking about a possible multi-channel release of The Mission (their new album) and on Facebook, they've begun a countdown to "something".

No one seems to know what it is......I can only dream that they are announcing release of a 5.1 of that title. Probably not...but anyway. They started at "6 Days" and today they are down to 2 Days. And, each time they post, they show a playing card......no clue what it all means.

They might be counting down to their "residency" shows in Vegas (I think that's coming up soon)... but I wish they were counting down to "The Mission" in 5.1!

Michael Bernard Bloomfield (July 28, 1943 – February 15, 1981) was an American guitarist and composer, born in Chicago, Illinois, who became one of the first popular music superstars of the 1960s to earn his reputation almost entirely on his instrumental prowess. I hope everybody takes time out to listen to this guitarist who reshaped many. A very troubled person with insomnia. Too bad, modern day drugs could have really helped him. Get this 4 disc set for a true musical delight.

51Mu-7QvYUL._AC_US500_QL65_.jpg621019_449317365187591_1647898322_o.jpg

I think I will pass on this 2018 remastering of Metallica, but I do believe in SHM CD's and might be of interest to others.
On April 13, Metallica is releasing four reissues from their catalog, including the "The $5.98 EP - Garage Days Re-Revisited." Each features the high-fidelity SHM-CD format and 2018 remastering. Don't miss out.
metallica_180213_350.jpg

For those that have Directv...there is a free preview this weekend and one of the available shows is DAVID BOWIE-THE LAST FIVE YEARS....it's listed on HB2Ehd channel 502 on Sunday from 12:50-2:30pm eastern standard time..so set those DVRs...or watch it at that time slot..

For those that have Directv...there is a free preview this weekend and one of the available shows is DAVID BOWIE-THE LAST FIVE YEARS....it's listed on HB2Ehd channel 502 on Sunday from 12:50-2:30pm eastern standard time..so set those DVRs...or watch it at that time slot..

An excellent but bittersweet overview of Bowie's last few, yet productive years. I DVRed it from FIOS last month. (y)(y)

Wonder if Bowie's play "Lazarus" with the superb Michael C. Hall [HBO's Six Feet Under; Dexter; Hedwig and the Angry Inch] in the lead will ever be released on home video? https://nypost.com/2016/01/14/is-the-david-bowie-musical-lazarus-headed-to-broadway/

Last edited:
The reviewer at uncut went so far as to say there were different instrument placements.
I’ve got both the CD and the SACD versions so maybe this weekend I can compare them and get to the bottom of this.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Getting to this today

Listening to Bridge of Sighs on CD...what a great song..Trower is awesome on this album....previous song..Day Of The Eagle...another home run...this CD is a double album..TWICE REMOVED FROM YESTERDAY....and...BRIDGE OF SIGHS...

Listening to Bridge of Sighs on CD...what a great song..Trower is awesome on this album....previous song..Day Of The Eagle...another home run...this CD is a double album..TWICE REMOVED FROM YESTERDAY....and...BRIDGE OF SIGHS...

He’s still playing both of these classics quite well. I have to laugh as the first hits package was called the Essential Robin Trower yet did not include Day Of the Eagle! The later compilation did include it and they also put it in the title just to be sure.

He’s still playing both of these classics quite well. I have to laugh as the first hits package was called the Essential Robin Trower yet did not include Day Of the Eagle! The later compilation did include it and they also put it in the title just to be sure.

Tim...have you seen him perform live?

Tim...have you seen him perform live?

Yes in 1975 and 2016. Drove down to Chattanooga for the latter show and he signed CDs and a poster for me. He laughed as I recounted my tale of hearing him on KGB FM in a BBC concert in late 1973 and pestering my mother to take me to Kmart where I would purchase Twice Removed From Yesterday for $3.58.

Yes in 1975 and 2016. Drove down to Chattanooga for the latter show and he signed CDs and a poster for me. He laughed as I recounted my tale of hearing him on KGB FM in a BBC concert in late 1973 and pestering my mother to take me to Kmart where I would purchase Twice Removed From Yesterday for $3.58.

So the 2016 performance wasn't too bad huh?

Yes I lost a whole day organizing digital photographs and videos. On Forever Changes I will use three releases for comparison.

Love - FOREVER CHANGES (1967) Versions Compared:
1) R2 73500 Love Story 2 CD compilation (1995)
2) R2 76717 Forever Changes reissue CD w/bonus tracks (2001)
3) UDSACD 2131 Forever Changes SACD hybrid (2014)

Particulars: OPPO BDP93 player thru Denon AVR-4310CI [a Steve Schoultz production] into Beyerdynamic DT880 Pro headphones

First I want to say that the Oppo really saved time switching the discs with its reliable track memory/resume behavior for such an exercise like this, most appreciated. I chose headphones for this because the main issue was to confirm or deny mix differences in terms of instrument placement and potentially other differences by monitoring closely. I approach this eclectic classic with some reverence; I don't know if it worked on paper, and I'm not denigrating anybody's hard work, but to me it is a fluke of the universe that we can enjoy this final result. I accept. As it turns out this was a simple exercise; the truth was in plain sight. Just have to stop and concentrate on it. Was an unreleased fold-down quad mix for an alternation version used on one of these discs? Read on.

The 1995 and 2001 discs were louder than the 2014 SACD; I did not adjust volume and I made sure not to succumb to the 'louder is better' element present here.
NOTE 1: Love Story is a 2 CD compilation where chronologically - Forever Changes - straddles the middle; starts on disc 1 and finishes on disc 2; odd but works to tell a story.
NOTE 2: Forever Changes 2001 bonus tracks included alt versions of Alone Again Or + You Set The Scene (there is also a lengthy tracking session where you also hear band conversations that is cool)

Guess what? These three presentations of the album are nearly identical. The original production team (Jac Holzman, Bruce Botnick, etc.) did a terrific job to begin with, I really don't think the SACD adds anything to the presentation. If I had to make one observation, that would be that the SACD had slightly less bass of the three versions. The SACD has a slightly different character: EQ tweak in mastering? (don't go there) or just DSD process flavoring? (not going there either)
(CD layer might be a 4th element but had to align with the SACD layer, right? Didn't bother)

Stereo mixes of Forever Changes are almost 100% consistent throughout as follows:
The 12 string acoustic guitar in RH channel
Electric guitar in RH channel; sometimes other guitar part in LH
Bass & Drums in LH channel
Vocals in center
Horns in center mostly mono

Since these mix elements pretty much stay put, the close listening is saved up for changes in other elements. They sound the same to me. Wait! Well, what about that alternate version of Alone again Or? Maybe that's the fold-down quad version! Nope, it is a mono reference mix where the vocals are jacked up for review. What about the alternate version of You Set The Scene? Crap, I forgot to check that; probably mono or otherwise unremarkable (I tell myself). I did realize how much I miss headphone listening!

I'm not sure there is a way to prepare people for this album; I didn't really hear it fully until 1990s; it deserves at least some consideration.

Love - FOREVER CHANGES (1967) Versions Compared:
1) R2 73500 Love Story 2 CD compilation (1995)
2) R2 76717 Forever Changes reissue CD w/bonus tracks (2001)
3) UDSACD 2131 Forever Changes SACD hybrid (2014)

Particulars: OPPO BDP93 player thru Denon AVR-4310CI [a Steve Schoultz production] into Beyerdynamic DT880 Pro headphones

First I want to say that the Oppo really saved time switching the discs with its reliable track memory/resume behavior for such an exercise like this, most appreciated. I chose headphones for this because the main issue was to confirm or deny mix differences in terms of instrument placement and potentially other differences by monitoring closely. I approach this eclectic classic with some reverence; I don't know if it worked on paper, and I'm not denigrating anybody's hard work, but to me it is a fluke of the universe that we can enjoy this final result. I accept. As it turns out this was a simple exercise; the truth was in plain sight. Just have to stop and concentrate on it. Was an unreleased fold-down quad mix for an alternation version used on one of these discs? Read on.

The 1995 and 2001 discs were louder than the 2014 SACD; I did not adjust volume and I made sure not to succumb to the 'louder is better' element present here.
NOTE 1: Love Story is a 2 CD compilation where chronologically - Forever Changes - straddles the middle; starts on disc 1 and finishes on disc 2; odd but works to tell a story.
NOTE 2: Forever Changes 2001 bonus tracks included alt versions of Alone Again Or + You Set The Scene (there is also a lengthy tracking session where you also hear band conversations that is cool)

Guess what? These three presentations of the album are nearly identical. The original production team (Jac Holzman, Bruce Botnick, etc.) did a terrific job to begin with, I really don't think the SACD adds anything to the presentation. If I had to make one observation, that would be that the SACD had slightly less bass of the three versions. The SACD has a slightly different character: EQ tweak in mastering? (don't go there) or just DSD process flavoring? (not going there either)
(CD layer might be a 4th element but had to align with the SACD layer, right? Didn't bother)

Stereo mixes of Forever Changes are almost 100% consistent throughout as follows:
The 12 string acoustic guitar in RH channel
Electric guitar in RH channel; sometimes other guitar part in LH
Bass & Drums in LH channel
Vocals in center
Horns in center mostly mono

Since these mix elements pretty much stay put, the close listening is saved up for changes in other elements. They sound the same to me. Wait! Well, what about that alternate version of Alone again Or? Maybe that's the fold-down quad version! Nope, it is a mono reference mix where the vocals are jacked up for review. What about the alternate version of You Set The Scene? Crap, I forgot to check that; probably mono or otherwise unremarkable (I tell myself). I did realize how much I miss headphone listening!

I'm not sure there is a way to prepare people for this album; I didn't really hear it fully until 1990s; it deserves at least some consideration.

Thanks Tim for taking the time and effort for this shoot out. I have #2 and like you was a little late to this album probably in the 90s as well, hence have always been curious about the elusive unreleased quad and a possible fold down. So thanks for clearing that up… i’ve been close to pulling the trigger on the SACD more than once but instead jumped on a flash sale of the upcoming anniversary box set which includes everything but the kitchen sink except that unreleased quad mix :howl

Last edited:
It’s simply a great sounding album already, so less improvements are even possible IMHO. The gap between cheesy and MFSL vinyl was often obvious. Vinyl to CD in many/most instances obvious. CD to SACD here? Far less obvious.

I just want to mention an important feature that was just added to Music Direct...I have been making more purchases at Music Direct recently...when importcds..or Bullmoose..or Deep Discount don't have what I need...they have replaced Acoustic Sounds in my preferred list of outlets...their shipping is reasonable and free with only a $49 requirement...well they have added Pay Pal Express now..for those that have Pay Pal Credit...this is good news(yes Gos 3.0 I'm looking at you)..I use Pay Pal Credit on Ebay a lot...if you spend $99 or more..you can get 6 months to pay...which comes in handy when something with a great price appears and you need to act fast or lose it...and those new releases that seem to be very close together..

So if you have Pay Pal Credit...when you check out now at Music Direct..you will be given the choice of paying with a credit card..or with Pay Pal Express...so when you choose Pay Pal Express it takes you to the Pay Pal website and it gives you a choice of paying with Paypal Credit..or using your Pay Pal Balance(if you have one)..or taking the money out of your bank account...you don't have to fill out any credit card info at Music Direct...it's as simple as chosing an option and clicking on it..and you are done....don't forget that an order of $99 or more can get you 6 months of free financing...

So, by chance I was bombing around youtube and found Cheap Trick's acceptance speech for R&R Hall of Fame and they made me so proud. Other than their stellar music, they do NOT fit the mold of rock stars. They are from Rockford, Illinois which is just a small sort of rural town north of me a couple hours. It's surrounded by agriculture...not suburbs...nor Chicago.

Their speeches were so down to earth and without posing or anger or lack of thanks. They spent a lot of time thanking their moms and dads, brothers and sisters and it was so damn refreshing to hear this. They then rocked a couple tunes and sounded great and didn't seem intimidated by the Hollywood audience.

To me, they are so genuine and I'm proud of them.

Back