DVD/DTS Poll Alpert, Herb - Passion Dance [DTS CD]

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rate the DTS-CD of Herb Alpert - PASSIONATE DANCE

• Total voters
I give it a 9! I just got this title, having owned the stereo original since it came out. It has a nice, active surround mix. This is basically a salsa album, so you have a lot of percussion coming at you from all the various speakers, and occasionally you'll here a rhythm guitar or keyboard coming from the surrounds as well. Couldn't fault the DTS sound either!

Bonus on this disc: "Brasil Nativo", a track from wife Lani Hall's same-titled album that Herb appears on. It also has a nice, atmospheric surround mix...it would have been nice to hear this entire album in surround as well.

Just got this at the recent DTS sale. It will be going on Ebay soon. The music is boring, and it does NOT have an active mix. It is totally ambient in the rears, except on a few songs that are mixed to sound like there is a crowd present, and on those songs, the people cheering are in the rears. Also, it's NOT Salsa, it's Latin Jazz (I was hoping for something closer to HA & TJB).

10. This is a FANTASTIC disc. Terrific music, nice mix. No, surroundophile, this isn't the Tijuana Brass. He hasn't done that sound in 30 years, if you include the TJB reunion album Bullish, or Coney Island from almost 40 years ago. I saw him live with this band on this tour and have an autographed copy of this. You NEED it.

Thanks for the tip on this one Linda - I give it a 9.... great DTS CD - or should I say 5.1 Music Disc.

I find this better than most of his other more modern stuff out there - and its surround!!!!

The music is boring, and it does NOT have an active mix. It is totally ambient in the rears, except on a few songs that are mixed to sound like there is a crowd present, and on those songs, the people cheering are in the rears. Also, it's NOT Salsa, it's Latin Jazz (I was hoping for something closer to HA & TJB).

I bought this sealed in 2012, and just opened it for a 1st play tonight.

Whether you think this music is boring or not is a matter of taste. It is Latin Jazz, although a very nice version of it, as I am not a fan of some of the repetitive piano that can be a cliche in much Latin jazz. So I like the music - nice instrumental background - nothing too challenging to the listener. Pleasant.

As for the mix, I disagree with the above assertion that it is ambient in the rears. Although I cannot blame surrondophile for making the mistake, because it seems like the rears are mixed well down from the fronts - maybe on the order of 7db! What this means is that if you want an immersive mix from this disc you will need to boost the rear channels, and then you should find some nice stuff happening to balance out the surround mix.

Even if it were perfectly balanced I would not give the disc a 10, just because the music is not spectacular to me. But the recording is clear and clean, and the mix is pretty good once you bump up the rears. But with points off for this hassle, I will vote this one a 7.

I have had this for years, just don't listen to it very often. The music is fair, and the mix is ok if you turn up the rear speakers 4 or 5 db. It's ok. I kinda enjoyed parts of it. Can't hardly decide to vot 6 or 7. Guess i'll go with a 7.

I voted 9. Great DTSCD in 5.1, 20/44.1. I find more and more I really like the surround of a lot of DTSCD's.
This was mastered by Bob Ludwig.
I am also coming to the conclusion after listening to surround for 6 years now, the format/disc does not make or break the sonic quality, but how it was put together in the first place. This release is great. If the mix was a little more active in the rears I would have gave it a 10.
41L+3tLRRUL.jpg

Haven't played this disc in a few years [voted an 8 a few years ago] but revisiting it and reveling in that wondeful BONUS TRACK, 11, with vocals from Herb's lovely wife, Lani Hall [of Sergio Mendes/Brasil '66 fame], I'm bumping up my vote to a 9.

Haven't played this disc in a few years [voted an 8 a few years ago] but revisiting it and reveling in that wondeful BONUS TRACK, 11, with vocals from Herb's lovely wife, Lani Hall [of Sergio Mendes/Brasil '66 fame], I'm bumping up my vote to a 9.
Good for you, plus your rig has improved I assume, as we know the hardware can make a difference.

Good for you, plus your rig has improved I assume, as we know the hardware can make a difference.

Always UPGRADING Markie but my new system won't be delivered until sometime next week but wish some enterprising firm [like Dutton Vocalion] could release some of those Tijuana Brass and Sergio Mendes/Brasil '66 masters on Stereo SACD......guilty pleasures, INDEED!

Back