An Afternoon With Some Old (Hardware) Friends

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

filper

1K Club - QQ Shooting Star
On a stormy late Spring afternoon I thought I would Frankenwienie some old gear for fun.

Here's what I put together from some of the 'couldn't say goodbye to' equipment I moved and moved.

Yamaha HTR-5540, Pioneer DV-588-A, Acoustic Research 215PS speakers and the mated S108PS sub.

All set as an analogue Stereo rig. Great fun. Although bright, an old familiar sound.

Attachments

• yam crop.jpg
    yam crop.jpg
    154 KB · Views: 99
Last edited:
Fun!

I've also been digging through the closet for old gear, although I don't have anything quite that nice on hand. I recently decided to start using the old weight bench again (instead of just hanging laundry on it), so have cobbled up a system for the unused bedroom it's in. So far, I have a beautiful Sony STR-GX9ES receiver driving - get this - a pair of Realistic (Radio Shack) Minimus 7s, with the tweeters disconnected and the little 4" woofs running full-range! (Sheesh.)

For a source, I found that my old Squeezebox Classic still works, and managed to get Logitech Media Server running on my Synology NAS box so I don't have to boot up the big rig in the living room just to stream some FLACs. So far, so good, but I definitely need better speakers, yikes.

I think I still have all the bits & pieces from an old pair of Advent 3 bookshelf speakers. I hope I can still revive them after 30-some years; they were actually pretty respectable, and would be a definite upgrade, heh. This is a good excuse to try to get them working again, along with my tired old muscles.

I keep telling myself I gotta get rid of some of this old crap, but it is fun to tinker with sometimes.

Last edited:
Back