Steven Wilson An Update on Steven Wilson's Remix Work

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I dunno - seems to me the AC/DC of old (Bon Scott era) would sound excellent in quad or surround. Once they had Brian Johnson, seems there music became a lot more dense and probably would NOT sound good in surround... just my opinion of course.
not really has to do anything with Brian Johnson. AC/DC always has lot of loud noise in dB but not any polyphony in sense
of musical harmony, which is necessary to fill up sound field of surround.
on another hand, two of his project with Geordie (pre AC/DC era) would do very cool surround.

I think what Steven was really getting at with mentioning those two artists (Monkees & AC/DC) is that they both have pretty homogeneous recordings, and if you start to break them apart too much with surround sound, they lose their density and weight.
This is the opposite of many of the albums he's remixed where the sound is almost too dense and the separation of surround sound adds greater clarity and detail to the lesser elements of the music that you really do want to hear.
Anyway, I'm not crying, just because I was never really that big on AC/DC and I never liked the Monkees, so this is all no great loss to me. :)

I think what Steven was really getting at with mentioning those two artists (Monkees & AC/DC) is that they both have pretty homogeneous recordings, and if you start to break them apart too much with surround sound, they lose their density and weight.
This is the opposite of many of the albums he's remixed where the sound is almost too dense and the separation of surround sound adds greater clarity and detail to the lesser elements of the music that you really do want to hear.
Anyway, I'm not crying, just because I was never really that big on AC/DC and I never liked the Monkees, so this is all no great loss to me. :)

ACDC black in Black and HTH sound much better as upmixes than stereo. Separating the guitars in the rears sounds wonderful. Unfortunately there is NO chance of real surround mixes ever being done by anyone.

Done.

SkylarKing.jpg

Last edited:
From that can we assume more have been found from other albums

I'm not necessarily assuming that the multitracks for more albums have been found as well, but I certainly hope all four of the other 80s albums' multitracks ("Black Sea", "English Settlement", "Mummer", and "The Big Express") are found sooner rather than later.

But getting back specifically to the news at hand (re: "Skylarking"), this photo makes me SOO happy for two reasons:
1) Not only is "Skylarking" one of my favorite XTC albums, but if ALL of the multitrack tapes were located, that means that we're getting an additional 15 XTC songs in surround sound this year, and all of them on this album are outstanding. (Let's especially hope that "English Settlement" is not too far behind either.)
2) I love how SW seems to be embracing social media a little more lately. His tease of "Chicago (II)" a couple of weeks ago was very unexpected, but I love seeing SW with one of his biggest musical heroes working on something that we all will love so much.

Unless Universal can find a way to get out both "Roxy Music" and "The Seeds of Love" this year, it looks like "Skylarking" is now officially the most anticipated surround release for me this year! :) :banana:

I'm not necessarily assuming that the multitracks for more albums have been found as well, but I certainly hope all four of the other 80s albums' multitracks ("Black Sea", "English Settlement", "Mummer", and "The Big Express") are found sooner rather than later.

But getting back specifically to the news at hand (re: "Skylarking"), this photo makes me SOO happy for two reasons:
1) Not only is "Skylarking" one of my favorite XTC albums, but if ALL of the multitrack tapes were located, that means that we're getting an additional 15 XTC songs in surround sound this year, and all of them on this album are outstanding. (Let's especially hope that "English Settlement" is not too far behind either.)
2) I love how SW seems to be embracing social media a little more lately. His tease of "Chicago (II)" a couple of weeks ago was very unexpected, but I love seeing SW with one of his biggest musical heroes working on something that we all will love so much.

Unless Universal can find a way to get out both "Roxy Music" and "The Seeds of Love" this year, it looks like "Skylarking" is now officially the most anticipated surround release for me this year! :) :banana:

Guess I better do some "you-tubing" and see how I like this....

Skylarking is my second favorite XTC after O's & L's. I am very relieved that the multis have been located for both albums and that the poor condition of O & L tapes was not a deal breaker for that remix.

While O & L was a bright brittle ear bleeder let's face it, Skylarking was a tad on the dull side I think originally. I did not hear the phase corrected issue, maybe that was the only problem with it. But a remix that opens up this album and ends up a touch brighter is not a bad thing imo.

i saw this posted today on the TEARS FOR FEARS Facebook page:

https://www.facebook.com/groups/TearsForFearsgroup

Just wanted to share a little bit of news that came my way' I recieved an email from Paul. S (superdeluxeedition) about the status of the Seeds of Love box set' it is due out in the autum if all still goes to plan. He has finished all the work for the booklet that accompanies it' and said he has interviewed all the "Main Players"..... Roland and Curt' Oleta Adams and Nicky Holland as well as Chris Hughes Dave Bascombe and A&R man Dave Bates' he also told me that we as TFF fans are going to be "very very pleased"....

i saw this posted today on the TEARS FOR FEARS Facebook page:

https://www.facebook.com/groups/TearsForFearsgroup

Just wanted to share a little bit of news that came my way' I recieved an email from Paul. S (superdeluxeedition) about the status of the Seeds of Love box set' it is due out in the autum if all still goes to plan. He has finished all the work for the booklet that accompanies it' and said he has interviewed all the "Main Players"..... Roland and Curt' Oleta Adams and Nicky Holland as well as Chris Hughes Dave Bascombe and A&R man Dave Bates' he also told me that we as TFF fans are going to be "very very pleased"....

If it's a box set, hopefully it will include the "book" that was sold (not a tour program, a book) at the same time the LP was released....

very good news if u ask me

Absolutely! Unless there are any surprises we don't know about yet, this release and "Skylarking" are the surround mixes I'm looking forward to hearing the most!
The musical arrangements and advances in recording technology make both of these albums perfect examples of what surround sound is at its best! :)

Back