Anathema - Weather Systems (limited edition CD/DVDA)

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hmmm... I don't find their shipping cost too terrible to Canada. Often the overall cost of the album (including shipping) is cheaper through Burning Shed than buying it through Amazon.ca (with free shipping), probably because Amazon.ca considers these albums an import. And Royal Mail must be pretty good, because it tends to arrive very quickly.

If you like the music, I suggest buying the flac download and using the Dulby DVD as a coaster. There is no shipping cost on flac :D

Brad

not totally true. shipping cost isn't main issue. the additional charges from government (GST/PST),
custom (import tax), post office (delivery) added up quite a bit. i can't be precise but roughly you
can add about 20% to initial cost.

not totally true. shipping cost isn't main issue. the additional charges from government (GST/PST),
custom (import tax), post office (delivery) added up quite a bit. i can't be precise but roughly you
can add about 20% to initial cost.

I've never been charged duty or tax on any shipment from Burning Shed, and I've purchased a lot of music from them (all KC, No-Man, Steven Wilson, Anathema, Gavin Harrison, etc).

I think a one CD/DVD shipment will always full under the Canadian customs radar (the threshold is $20 I think). But, I have also purchased both Steven Wilson special editions (the large books) from Burning Shed, and I was not even charged duty or taxes on those (which surprised me a bit).

then i wasn't as much in luck. all my purchases from overseas ended up with extra charges.
latest was Genesis 1979-1975 box-set from UK which were on sale, had cost me initially about $120
but ended in total $150+
single unit usually not as much, but still, as i mentioned above, about 20% up. and there are no PST
in AB. quite same now doing amazon US. albeit there are "free trade" treaty between Canada and USA,
amazon started to charge deposit for purchases destinated to Canada, in the case carrier will be asked
to pay import fees at custom.

Howdy All... NB here. Been following this forum for years but never registered... I here because I'm here.

Anyway big fan of Anathema and have WHBWH DVD A and bought this new one. Like everyone else disapointed with the SQ of the surround mix. Burning shed provided the flac 5.1 DL so I opted for it. First off its a big improvement so hats of to Burning Shed. Problem I am having has to do with pops in the music everyonce in a while, in a sense minor skips in the recording. If I hit pause and then play it goes away only to return a song or two later. I use cirlinca at first to make my DVD A. Had this problem and then even created a TS file and used image burn to make a 2nd DVD A....Same problem.

Any suggestions from anyone on how to help solve this would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks much!

Problem I am having has to do with pops in the music everyonce in a while, in a sense minor skips in the recording.

I believe this is because you player is having trouble tracking the burned DVD-A. There are several possible reasons for this from dirty laser to borderline blank DVD. I've found DVD-R type to work the best for DVD-A players. Then the brand of DVD blank can make a difference as well. I'm currently using Verbatim and they usually work fine; though I've found any slightest smudge causes the player to skip. I've had the best luck with Sony blanks that I got a Costco a while back.

I believe this is because you player is having trouble tracking the burned DVD-A. There are several possible reasons for this from dirty laser to borderline blank DVD. I've found DVD-R type to work the best for DVD-A players. Then the brand of DVD blank can make a difference as well. I'm currently using Verbatim and they usually work fine; though I've found any slightest smudge causes the player to skip. I've had the best luck with Sony blanks that I got a Costco a while back.

Hmmm. I have and OPPO 93 and have no problems with other burned discs. I think I will buy a different brand blank disc and see how that works. But I have burned many other DVD A using the same brand with no problems.

Thanks

I have an oppo 95 and it plays this disc fine. I burned it with Cirlinca "HD-Audio Solo Ultra 4.1" using the following cue file. I'm not sure if it will make a difference, but the timings on it are a little different than the others here.

Attachments

• WeatherSystems.cue.txt
    820 bytes · Views: 147
Make sure you have a good download. I burned DVD-A with Cirlinca and AVCHD version from AudioMuxer, both from thr FLAC and they're fine.

Howdy All... NB here. Been following this forum for years but never registered... I here because I'm here.

Anyway big fan of Anathema and have WHBWH DVD A and bought this new one. Like everyone else disapointed with the SQ of the surround mix. Burning shed provided the flac 5.1 DL so I opted for it. First off its a big improvement so hats of to Burning Shed. Problem I am having has to do with pops in the music everyonce in a while, in a sense minor skips in the recording. If I hit pause and then play it goes away only to return a song or two later. I use cirlinca at first to make my DVD A. Had this problem and then even created a TS file and used image burn to make a 2nd DVD A....Same problem.

Any suggestions from anyone on how to help solve this would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks much!

Firstly, I'd also like to add a "well done" to Lisa & Burning Shed for stepping up to the mark here with these FLAC versions. That is what I call customer service.
The Shed are definitely one of the Good Guys and I have an awful lot of time for them because they are one of the few who actually care about their customers, and it shows.
Top stuff, guys (and gals of course)

Moving to your little problem I suspect it is caused by the burning - otherwise someone else would definitely have noticed this by now. It's also not the Cirlinca app, as again Chris at Cirlinca is another one of the "good guys" who genuinely cares about his customers.
So - the usual questions are coming...
1 - What brand of media did you use, and was the burn speed matched to the media & what the burner is capable of? IMGburn is best for this, as it will always tell you what your burner/media combination can do.

finally i gave a listening (thanx Burning Shed, Lisa and all other, involved in correction of
label's step into wrong direction) to this album.
5.1 mix is quite decent albeit nothing outstanding but mastering of the sound isn't good.

I just bought/downloaded Weather Systems from Burning Shed. I just wanted to thank Lisa/Burning Shed for making it possible and also SMS for the .cue file.

Cheers!

I just bought the FLAC version of the album, and I have some mixed feelings on it. As someone said earlier in the thread, the mix is drastically different compared to the stereo version. I'm not sure I like it. As someone who has listened to the stereo mix at least once a day for the past month, I feel like they somehow managed to strip the emotion out of the album. While there are some sounds that stand out more on the 5.1 mix, a lot of important sound is missing. It almost feels like a lot of the beautiful vocal harmonies are gone.

I've only listened to the 5.1 mix once, so I'll give it some more time, but I think I'll find myself listening to the stereo version more than the 5.1. I will try it again soon on my better home theater setup and see if it makes a difference. On my office surround system, I have a phantom center, so maybe that's part of the problem.

Still a top 10 desert island album for me though...incredible, deep, emotional music.

savaytse66,

Welcome to QQ! I notice this was your first post, although you joined a while ago. I am a frequent lurker too :)

It was I who talked about how drastically different the 5.1 mix was from the stereo mix. I am continually surprised by how different the mixes are, and I listen to both fairly frequently since I, like you, really love the music. In one track, a completely different vocal track was chosen. In less severe cases, however, it is a different instrument that is made prominent, while other instruments are put in the background (like you mentioned). I believe Christer-Andre Cederberg mixed both the stereo and 5.1, but the liner notes don't say that explicitly. If it was Christer who did both, it is surprising that he would make such different mixing decisions. I guess he was trying to get creative with the 5.1 mix, but I think it was a mistake to change the feel of the song so much.

Regardless, it is a great album, and well worth the purchase.

savaytse66,

Welcome to QQ! I notice this was your first post, although you joined a while ago. I am a frequent lurker too :)

It was I who talked about how drastically different the 5.1 mix was from the stereo mix. I am continually surprised by how different the mixes are, and I listen to both fairly frequently since I, like you, really love the music. In one track, a completely different vocal track was chosen. In less severe cases, however, it is a different instrument that is made prominent, while other instruments are put in the background (like you mentioned). I believe Christer-Andre Cederberg mixed both the stereo and 5.1, but the liner notes don't say that explicitly. If it was Christer who did both, it is surprising that he would make such different mixing decisions. I guess he was trying to get creative with the 5.1 mix, but I think it was a mistake to change the feel of the song so much.

Regardless, it is a great album, and well worth the purchase.

As an experiment, I'm tempted to replace, or at least supplement the L & R channels of the 5.1 mix with the original stereo mix to see how that sounds. As a general observation, the female vocals are more pronounced in the stereo mix, but the male vocals are more pronounced in the 5.1. There are still some amazing things, instrumentally, going on in the 5.1 mix, but I think a lot was lost when mixing the vocals. I would not be so addicted to this album if it were not for the vocal harmonies of the stereo mix. As I sing along with the 5.1 version (in private of course where I can't ruin the musical experience of others), I find myself singing parts that just aren't there.

It's funny...I am not usually that critical of mixes because quite frankly, I don't have the time to care. But these are two severely different listening experiences, and the difference between the two is glaringly obvious; much more so than most other stereo vs. surround mixes.

As an experiment, I'm tempted to replace, or at least supplement the L & R channels of the 5.1 mix with the original stereo mix to see how that sounds. As a general observation, the female vocals are more pronounced in the stereo mix, but the male vocals are more pronounced in the 5.1. There are still some amazing things, instrumentally, going on in the 5.1 mix, but I think a lot was lost when mixing the vocals. I would not be so addicted to this album if it were not for the vocal harmonies of the stereo mix. As I sing along with the 5.1 version (in private of course where I can't ruin the musical experience of others), I find myself singing parts that just aren't there.

It's funny...I am not usually that critical of mixes because quite frankly, I don't have the time to care. But these are two severely different listening experiences, and the difference between the two is glaringly obvious; much more so than most other stereo vs. surround mixes.

That would be an interesting experiment. Let me know how it works if you follow through with it!

I agree with your comments 100% (other than the one about singing along... I don't do that because my own voice ruins the musical experience :) ). If I remember correctly, one of the most glaring vocal differences is on the chorus of "The Storm Before the Calm". The female vocals are basically eliminated from the mix, while on the stereo mix they are very prominent (harmonizing with Vincent). I definitely prefer the stereo mix in this situation because, as you said, the vocal harmonies are so beautiful.

Hello all,
I finally bought this from an Amazon retailer. I had mistakenly thought this was later corrected to DVD-A in the retail package. My memory tricked me and I should have looked here first. Now I have the unopened CD/DVDV version and based on the comments I am not sure I want to open it. If the DVD-A was an improvement worth getting I would buy from Burning shed to get the FLAC file, but it is no longer available. Any suggestions on how to purchase a DVDA version?

Hello all,
I finally bought this from an Amazon retailer. I had mistakenly thought this was later corrected to DVD-A in the retail package. My memory tricked me and I should have looked here first. Now I have the unopened CD/DVDV version and based on the comments I am not sure I want to open it. If the DVD-A was an improvement worth getting I would buy from Burning shed to get the FLAC file, but it is no longer available. Any suggestions on how to purchase a DVDA version?

The FLAC is still available for purchase @ Burningshed here:
https://www.burningshed.com/store/24/product/436/3813/

Thanks, I missed that! Next question, is it worth it? I guess I play it first now in my car and see if the stereo version is any good.
I (personally) like it - The FLAC is worth it if you like Anathema..

Back