Anna Thorvaldsdottir - AEQUA on Sono Luminus, 30 Nov. 2018

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

humprof

Junior Senior
QQ Supporter
On November 30th, Sono Luminus follows up In the Light of Air, its demo-worthy 2015 release of the International Contemporary Ensemble (ICE) playing music of Anna Thorvaldsdottir, with a new collection of her work, AEQUA. (A stereo-only download version has been available for the past couple of weeks at NativeDSD. The physical disc combines a CD and Blu-Ray with mixes in 5.1 DTS HD MA and 9.1 Auro 3D & Dolby Atmos.)

(P)reviews at A Closer Listen and Broadway World.

This arrived yesterday and I gave it a slightly distracted listen. Very similar to Light of Air in terms of the music itself. Sparse, atmospheric, and really ambient. I listened to the Atmos mix and it sounded great. While I wasn't paying the closest attention, all of the speakers seemed to be used for overall ambience with some percussion material showing in the surround/rear speakers. The music won't be for everyone, but I enjoyed it and found the mix immersive given the source material.

Still waiting on my copy--it's perpetually backordered from Presto Classical's suppliers, apparently. (Almost wish I'd ordered it from Big River.) But here's a gushing review at Burning Ambulance. The writer doesn't specifically address the surround mix, but does say that "the production and mixing" are "frankly breathtaking," and that he doesn't "think [he] owns speakers that can do this music justice."

Back