Any one else attend the Dolby Atmos "Sgt. Pepper" movie theater playback last night?

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jdmack

1K Club - QQ Shooting Star
QQ Supporter
Last night, there was a one-time only playback of the “Sgt. Pepper’s Lonely Hearts Club Band” 7.1 Dolby Atmos mix in select movie theaters (was it in the U.S. only?). Oddly, it was free with advance registration. I went to hear it in Washington, D.C. Here are some thoughts on the experience.

I had to work until 6:00. The event was at 7:00. Arriving at 6:50 meant I had to sit at the far left end of a row as all the center seats were filled. This kind of ruined any chance of experiencing the effect of surround sound.

In my theater, it was LOUD, and a bit harsh. I’ve always thought that Ringo’s hi-hat had an unpleasant mid-rangy quality to it on this album, and this theater’s sound system accentuated that.

There is always at least one person who has to sing at events like these. It happened when I went to “Eight Days A Week.” It happened last night. They think they can’t be heard, but they can and it utterly destroys the atmosphere.

The theater was dark with nothing on the screen. There should have been a rule against letting anyone in after the playback had started, as those people had to use their blindingly bright cell phones to look for an empty seat and to see where they were going. This happened as late as during "Within You Without You."

As best as I could tell, the Dolby Atmos mix positioned everything the same as the 5.1 mix. However, there was one notable difference between the two mixes. At the end of “Good Morning, Good Morning,” the band faded out much sooner than on any other mix, new or old. Then the sound of the animals faded out almost completely. *Then* the chicken clucking came in and it seemed longer than on the album. And then the real surprise. On the mono mix of “Pepper” there are 6 beats worth of drums before Paul says his “1..2..3..4..” On the 1967 stereo mix, the new stereo mix and the 5.1 mix, there are only 4 beats. But the Atmos mix had the extra two beats! However, it muted out the unintelligible words spoken by John during those two extra beats. Am I a total geek? You betcha!

So that's my non-review. Did anyone else go to this. What was your experience?

J. D.

Last night, there was a one-time only playback of the “Sgt. Pepper’s Lonely Hearts Club Band” 7.1 Dolby Atmos mix in select movie theaters (was it in the U.S. only?). Oddly, it was free with advance registration. I went to hear it in Washington, D.C. Here are some thoughts on the experience.

I had to work until 6:00. The event was at 7:00. Arriving at 6:50 meant I had to sit at the far left end of a row as all the center seats were filled. This kind of ruined any chance of experiencing the effect of surround sound.

In my theater, it was LOUD, and a bit harsh. I’ve always thought that Ringo’s hi-hat had an unpleasant mid-rangy quality to it on this album, and this theater’s sound system accentuated that.

There is always at least one person who has to sing at events like these. It happened when I went to “Eight Days A Week.” It happened last night. They think they can’t be heard, but they can and it utterly destroys the atmosphere.

The theater was dark with nothing on the screen. There should have been a rule against letting anyone in after the playback had started, as those people had to use their blindingly bright cell phones to look for an empty seat and to see where they were going. This happened as late as during "Within You Without You."

As best as I could tell, the Dolby Atmos mix positioned everything the same as the 5.1 mix. However, there was one notable difference between the two mixes. At the end of “Good Morning, Good Morning,” the band faded out much sooner than on any other mix, new or old. Then the sound of the animals faded out almost completely. *Then* the chicken clucking came in and it seemed longer than on the album. And then the real surprise. On the mono mix of “Pepper” there are 6 beats worth of drums before Paul says his “1..2..3..4..” On the 1967 stereo mix, the new stereo mix and the 5.1 mix, there are only 4 beats. But the Atmos mix had the extra two beats! However, it muted out the unintelligible words spoken by John during those two extra beats. Am I a total geek? You betcha!

J. D.

Are you talking about John counting off Sugar Plum Fairy twice before A Day In The Life?? And Thank you for the review :banana:

Are you talking about John counting off Sugar Plum Fairy twice before A Day In The Life?? And Thank you for the review :banana:

We were talking about the love we all must share. With our love, we can save the world, if they only knew. I love Snood more than most.

Banana! :banana:

Ha' mercy, bus be packed up tight.

Well, I'll be ridin' on the bus till the Cadillac, Jesus just left Chicago... Muddy Water turned to wine, yeah, heah! Take me wit ya Jesus! Woo! :banana:

J. D.

I had a similar experience with the ATMOS sound at the Pink Floyd exhibition at the V&A Museum in London. I was really looking forward to hearing Comfortably Numb from the reunion concert in ATMOS surround but the actual experience was closer to excruciating than comfortable. I expected it to be loud (in the volume sense) but wasn't expecting the actual mastering to be so hot and some of the cymbal hits were verging on the painful. All in all very disappointing and not a very good demonstration for ATMOS or Sennheiser who sponsored the event. :(

I had a similar experience with the ATMOS sound at the Pink Floyd exhibition at the V&A Museum in London. I was really looking forward to hearing Comfortably Numb from the reunion concert in ATMOS surround but the actual experience was closer to excruciating than comfortable. I expected it to be loud (in the volume sense) but wasn't expecting the actual mastering to be so hot and some of the cymbal hits were verging on the painful. All in all very disappointing and not a very good demonstration for ATMOS or Sennheiser who sponsored the event. :(

What's really disheartening is that a lot of people probably thought it sounded good that way? Pop records from the 60's were designed to sound good on bad AM car radios. Popular music today is designed to sound good on almost equally bad equipment. Etcetera, etcetera, etcetera...

I saw this in San Francisco. Got there 2 hours early and sat right in the middle. Like a previous reviewer it was it was LOUD, and a bit harsh for me too. Very heavy and almost violent. On the original, Lucy in the Sky with Diamonds was very dreamy but in this mix it was hard and almost heavy metalish.

But all in all I loved it and would see it again anytime, even if I had to pay for it. it was amazing.

The theatre was 90% full with almost no advertising.

Back