Any one has the Multi channel of the Moody Blues "In Search of the Lost Chord"

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kvadro

400 Club - QQ All-Star
Since 2002/2003
Well it's listed as multichannel too and I can't find it. There is is a version with the "Multichannel" sticker but the rest looks exactly like the stereo version. As i didn't have it on hands I don't know if it's written "5.1" anywhere. Anyone knowing more on this ?

Attachments

• Moody Blues_In Search of the Lost Chord.jpg
    Moody Blues_In Search of the Lost Chord.jpg
    25.2 KB · Views: 305
All i know is... there is no existing MultiChannel on the Disc :(
Funny sticker :rolleyes:

I believe that this album was never mixed for quad in the 70s because the multitrack masters were lost, and they have never been found to this day. The sticker is false and in my opinion, is grounds for getting a refund.

J. D.

I believe that this album was never mixed for quad in the 70s because the multitrack masters were lost, and they have never been found to this day. The sticker is false and in my opinion, is grounds for getting a refund.

J. D.
IIRC, some of the CCR SACD's also said they were multichannel. No refunds handed out.;)

Don't recall my package mentioning multichannel..and in any event, every seasoned collector knows--or should--that ISOTLC was never mixed to quad because TOO MUCH was missing from the multis, not that multis don't exist(they do). Several songs were remixed for THIS IS THE MOODY BLUES, so *some* could have been offered in 5.1 form for the recent SACD reissue, but of course were not. And since it was not issued in quad back in the day, I guess no one felt a need to even attempt a try at doing one. Pity, but an artistic call, and Justin Hayward didn't seem to care, he approved using the quad masters that exist of the other Original 7.

ED :)

I recall seeing an "Ultimate Aerosmith Hits" SACD with a bogus mutichannel sticker on it.

I'm sure there are many other examples.

I did get a refund for the CCR discs I had bought. I had opened one of them and even played it. It helps to be a big mean looking fellow.

The Quadfather

I have a Celine Dion "All the Way - A Decade of Song" that states stereo but is multichannel and a Steve Earle "Guitar Town" that states multichannel but is only stereo. I guess I broke even on the mislabel fiasco and there are quite a number of them if I recall correctly.

Chris

It has been my understanding all these years that the ISOTLC masters were destroyed by fire or X-rays, thus no surround mix possible. I wonder if the This Is The Moody Blues tracks were merely remastered?

PS - Chris: I'm watching that Queensryche DVD-A but won't bid! :smokin:

well I have no idea, but as "ride my sea saw" has a count in and is not joined to any other tracks on their greatest hits collection (can't remember which one) and it's in stereo would suggest that some multis were available as you couldn't do that from the straight lp.

Unfortunately for our purposes, "Ride My See Saw" is of no help: the clean count-off is from the original 1968 45, and was a folddown from the stereo mix made at the time(I know, I have the Deram stereo promo single). It has appeared on many reissues, but VOICES IN THE SKY was the first CD to include it, I believe.

Or the separate (unmastered) stereo mixes were available (just a thought). But as Ed says, they had often different mixes on their singles.

I've got a feeling you're right on this one...the original stereo single mix of "nights in white satin" is a perfect separate mix ...without the orchestra and with a wide stereo vocal that is sadly missing from the lp and quad versions..

maybe we can hope that they didn't do I.S.O.T.L.C because they were short on funds for remixing..

maybe we can hope that they didn't do I.S.O.T.L.C because they were short on funds for remixing..

As Ed said, this one was never done in Quad, so I guess they just didn't bother doing a "new" mix for it. All the other ones are just the Quad mixes slapped onto SACD, right?

I've got a feeling you're right on this one...the original stereo single mix of "nights in white satin" is a perfect separate mix ...without the orchestra and with a wide stereo vocal that is sadly missing from the lp and quad versions..

That was mixed before the album was finished, being the first single. The orchestra hadn't even been recorded yet! Just Mike Pinder subbing as one.

Too bad they had money to remix a comp, THIS IS THE MOODY BLUES...;)

I doubt that. The liner notes talk of a 5.1 Surround Sound remix. So they were clearly planning one.

Still, the SACD Stereo disc of the album sounds nice. An improvement over the Stereo CD.

Anyone wanting to listen to a surround sound of The Moody Blues "In Search of the Lost Chord", just listen to the STEREO CD LAYER via the DPLII (Dolby ProLogic II) mode or even better via the Sansui QS mode, OR the SQ mode ! Also good with the normal MFSL cd, the other normal silver cd releases I don't know

Last edited:
Anyone wanting to listen to a surround sound of The Moody Blues "In Search of the Lost Chord", just listen to the STEREO CD LAYER via the DPLII (Dolby ProLogic II) mode or even better via the Sansui QS mode, OR the SQ mode ! Also good with the normal MFSL cd, the other normal silver cd releases I don't know
Eighteen years on (OMG), it's even better to listen to the hi-res 2-channel Jakko remastered layer from the box set via the Surround Master.

"In Search Of The Lost Multitracks " or "In Search Of The Lost Quad" I did a Penteo 5.1 upmix of the stereo as a workaround. And: it's not that bad.
The stereo mix is somehow discrete so this is probably the reason that Surround Master, Dolby PL II and Penteo work quite good on this.

Back