Anybody trying anything different with mixtapes?

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dillydipper

We have too much tech at our fingertips!

On the other hand...yay! Got one Steely Dan album on SACD? Got another one on DVD-A? Now through the magic of pro or semi-pro software, we can rip what we want, put 'em in the order we want, and skip what we want, be it for driving or listening room!

Wanna get creative? Howabout taking some of our stereo mixes from another Steely Dan CD, create a separate channel of low-frequency content, and shuttle that over to the sub channel! Or, fiddle with the EQ, and make it sound right for you! Heck, do your own fiddling with those wonky AF releases, and put David Clayton-Thomas and Burton Cummings where you know they should be in those quad mixes!

Or, use the OOPS method to split off some sound information, and roll your own quad mix from stereo, or a 5.1 mix from quad! Who know, maybe some you have tried this already in Audacity or Adobe Audition...?

Howabout one step further...back when I had access to a proper radio production studio, I made a few mixtapes that segued songs: some beat-to-beat, some fading in over another track trailing out...I even made one using CD, LP, custom-mixed reel-tape recording sources, including a finale track that mixed one song through sources of single mix, album mix, two extended mixes, plus a live version, and it came out magnificent! That one I did so I would have to start each source live, in real-time, each track segued or mixed, all in one pass to my 45-minute side of a cassette...just to see how easy it would be to do (years later I re-did this one in Adobe Audition and burned to a CD instead...beyond the logistics, it was a helluva lot less complicated this time around!).

So, anybody tried something like that, making a segued mixtape with multichannel rips?

And finally, the big one...anybody tried using multichannel mixes to creatively segue tracks together, such as one song fading towards one corner, as the next one sneaks up from another part of the room? Or even beat-to-beat segues where only part of the next song sneaks into the mix of the previous one, then gradually takes over the mix to reveal it's the next track?

Care to share your work with the class?

Back