Quad Mix of The Electric Light Orchestra on DVD-V?

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tpapp54321

Hello,
I’m a new member of the forum but have been a fan of quad music for a while. I wasn’t alive to experience quad in the 70s but I’ve recently become fascinated by it and have been buying as many albums as I can afford. A couple weeks ago I bit the bullet and bought an Akai 1730 (probably for more than I should’ve lol) and have been working on transferring some of my SACDs to tape. The first album I bought was the DVD-A of The Electric Light Orchestra since a copy was so cheap off of eBay. After visiting this forum it doesn’t appear to be in the Surround polls and I’m curious if anyone else is aware of this mix? It’s really great for the price (only $13) and I really enjoyed hearing something from the early years of ELO. Additionally, I’m also looking for some suggestions for good affordable albums on SACD or DVD-A. I have a Q8 setup as well but my deck could use an overhaul on its components. Really glad to be a new member,
-Thomas P.

Hello,
I’m a new member of the forum but have been a fan of quad music for a while. I wasn’t alive to experience quad in the 70s but I’ve recently become fascinated by it and have been buying as many albums as I can afford. A couple weeks ago I bit the bullet and bought an Akai 1730 (probably for more than I should’ve lol) and have been working on transferring some of my SACDs to tape. The first album I bought was the DVD-A of The Electric Light Orchestra since a copy was so cheap off of eBay. After visiting this forum it doesn’t appear to be in the Surround polls and I’m curious if anyone else is aware of this mix? It’s really great for the price (only $13) and I really enjoyed hearing something from the early years of ELO. Additionally, I’m also looking for some suggestions for good affordable albums on SACD or DVD-A. I have a Q8 setup as well but my deck could use an overhaul on its components. Really glad to be a new member,
-Thomas P.

Let me just say that the feeling is mutual...we are really glad to have you as a member...and hopefully you become an active member:hi

Last edited:
Hello,
-Thomas P.

Welcome to QQ Tpapp. I see Mr .Eastwood has steered you in the proper direction on the ELO and our Snood has recommended some SACDs. To find reviews of surround material on the site, go to the polls section. It is split up by format. That ELO disk is actually a DVD-Video not a DVD-Audio. In any of the format sections you can sort by artist to find what you are looking for. Can you play Blue rays?

As "ambassador" Snood has mentioned...you can't go wrong with the Elton John SACD's...or the blu ray audio version of Yellow Brick Road....if you like Progressive Music there are quite a few discs to buy...just remember the name Steven Wilson...either his own music...or music he worked on... bands like Yes...Jethro Tull...you can use the polls as a source to look for titles....aside from using discogs...and Ebay….don't overlook threads on the forum for members selling discs...and once you determine what discs you would like to buy...you can start a thread of your own asking members if they might want to sell or trade for the discs you want to acquire....

Oh wow, thank you everyone! I bought a couple SACDs today and told myself it was enough but now I think I’m going to go back and buy some more lol. I am able to play blu-rays as well and my blu-ray player actually has analog out which is nice for transferring some of my albums to tape. I’ve actually got Pink Floyd’s DSOTM and WYWH on blu-ray and those are probably my favorites as of now. As far as price range I’ve been buying below the $20 mark but if it’s something really interesting I’m willing to bump my budget up a little.

If you happen to like XTC - you can't go wrong with any of these CD/Bluray Steven Wilson 5.1 mixes https://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss?url=search-alias=digital-music&field-keywords=xtc+oranges+bluray

These go on sale from time to time Oranges & Lemons was 12.92 last week me thinks.........

If you are into Yes :LB -

Yes Close to The Edge 21.98 CD/Bluray mixed by Steve Wilson tooooooo https://www.amazon.com/Close-Edge-B...&qid=1529639371&sr=8-1&keywords=yes+cd+bluray

Yes Album 18.53 CD Bluray by Steven Wilson https://www.amazon.com/Yes-Album/dp..._rd_t=40701&psc=1&refRID=SGS30GAH1PN39YG1N3CP

Yes - Fragile 19.89 Cd BLuray steven Wilson https://www.amazon.com/Fragile-Expa..._rd_t=40701&psc=1&refRID=HVBTVNW3AG4CMYPE2393

Hope these help :SG

If you have $7 to spend on a surround title....a used copy of THIS is well worth the money

Clinty, cannot believe THE LOVE ALBUM is priced so cheaply ...... Used/VG for $2.34 + s/h. Yowza! :eek:who said 'money can't buy you LOVE?'

Tpapp: HIGHER than VERY HIGHLY recommended. 81 minutes of non stop Beatles music in exquisite 5.1 surround on DVD~Audio!

Last edited:
I’ve actually got Pink Floyd’s DSOTM and WYWH on blu-ray and those are probably my favorites as of now.

Are you sure you have blu ray versions of these? The blu rays were only included in deluxe immersion box sets that were pretty pricy. They were also released as single disk SACDs.

And if you do have the blu ray of DSOTM, be sure to check out the Alan Parsons quad mix that is included on it.

This one
is also a winner.

Btw, yes, I've heard this DVD-V and it is one of those very pleasant surprises that come along, now and then, with this hobby.
I had NO IDEA what ELO were like, but auditioned the album on youtube, thought it was cool and weird and gave the DVD a chance.
It's a definite keeper.
More multichannel ELO studio albums would be a great thing IMHO.

Hate to say it, but I agree. SACD will definitely sound better than any tape format [save for perhaps 15 ips Open Reel]
When I see comments like this I really want to offer that advice as well. Understand, I really don't want to rain on anyone's parade! If someone is truly interested in listening to something with different levels and vintages of damage for the experience of what it was like using certain older gear, then that's all well and good. But I'm compelled to point out the best way to get closest to the source recording as heard in final mixing or mastering in the studio.

The modern digital formats are 1:1 with what comes off the digital mastering desk. (In the case of DSD program from some SACDs, it's a HD to HD conversion from originally HD PCM and I don't think anyone would be able to discern any difference between source and copy in this case.) Now, some of us may be critical of the mastering presentation of some releases and feel the urge to tinker with them and try to correct them ourselves. The premise being that some damage was done and the DIY correction gets closer to what an original source sounded like. But the starting point is still to start with the cleanest master available and not subject it to gross generation loss (analog or digital) that comes from some formats. There is nuance to talk about between different machines. A higher end consumer quad open reel would make a better copy than an early generation DAT deck or CDr recorder, for an obvious example.

Anyway, if you are interested in hearing what came off the mixing board originally and keeping it clean, consider that.
If you're getting more enjoyment and interest hearing music altered to be "in character" with older consumer equipment, carry on and don't mind the likes of me! :)
And then I kind of wonder if that's really the aim in some cases or if the digital devices (capable as some of the HD stuff may be) scare people away.

Those ELO quad mixes had their moments for sure! (I like the more prog-y stuff they did and less so the poppy stuff.)
I think the idea behind the opening of the first album is the song is supposed to sound lo-fi and mono at the start and then expand into hi-fi and surround. Questionable how well that comes across with the tape generation loss from the Q8 copy.

These were finally released on DVDA? Sounds like I need to pay attention and catch up then! (Speaking of wanting to hear copies closer to the master and all.)

Hate to say it, but I agree. SACD will definitely sound better than any tape format [save for perhaps 15 ips Open Reel]
Yeah, I though I’d have to explain myself on this at some point lol. So I own a Blu-ray player that is capable with playing any of my albums whether they be SACDs, DVD-A or Blu Ray albums. However, that’s hooked up to its own setup in the living room. My 4.0 Quadsetup is located in my room so in order to listen to albums there I copy over my albums so that I can simply listen to them without needing a TV or dealing with select menus. I guess the easier way is to just by a SACD player, and I definitely intend to do that once I get more disks lol. My setup isn’t anything too spectacular so any degradation in sound isn’t very noticeable.

Back