Are surround-effects "gimmicks"?

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Quadro-Action

400 Club - QQ All-Star
Since 2002/2003
Of course, all aspects and details of surround are very interesting - like the forum shows. But I think, sometimes it is important to have a discussion and clarify about general points of surround. After my speech for a "simple" or easy working 4-channel surround-base now I am
writing something from my sight about another fact, which will hinder further on a more quick spreading of audio-surround. This is the stubborn purism - unfortunately often found also actual in commercial and high-end circles and reports in hifi papers. I have many of such comments collected - here the newest in the actual "The Absolute Sound" issue 8-9/03. There is noticed by a report about the re-issue of "Power-Biggs - Bach Orgel-Concert " with 4 organs in the german church "Cathedral of Freiburg" , which was produced in the 70's as quadraphonic program for SQ-LP and Q8, the following:
Sony SACD producer Louise de la Fuente told me, she found, that the original Columbia quadraphonic masters were "gimmicky" and didn't present the music in the best possible way". But what is the best way for this ? Is there important only the one voice and taste of a commercial people - and not those of the many consumers? They shall only pay! I think, some of you knows another puritan comments of "unnatural gimmicks by music over the shoulder". This drivel has been already one important reason, that quadraphony was not a big success in the 70's. Unfortunately the average consumer often will believe, which is written in the journals by self-styled sound-gurus. And the same rubbish is often told also today and and will again slow-down the wanted spreading of music-surround, because consumers and also sound-engineers are often unsure. Therefore some actual surround-productions will not sound so clear and inspired as many "old" quadraphonic productions 30 years (!) before. The rebirth of Quadraphony today would need more courageous and creative artists and engineers as in quadraphonic times. So the tellers of gimmick-fairytales must habe always an echo - from us - as I often do with readers letters (many are printed) discussion with commercial people at exhibitions - like CES or IFA and all around at the personally sphere.
Which is called since nearly 40 years "stereo" (the prefered sound by puritans also with a few more channels) should better named "widescreen-sound", because the real sense of this word means spatial-sound, but "sterero" sounds only flat. On the other hand, in quadraphonic times there was beneth others also the right term "4-channel stereo". Of course, it is absolutely allowed, to make poor-surround recordings (usual done further on by classic) in a documentary style - like the paper reports or documentary-films. But that is not really the essence of art. The times is not a novel like "Harry Potter", the TV-News are not the same as "Star-Wars in a film. By art we have always fantasia and creativity, which some poor purist can't understand by looking only with their blinders. But Donald Duck or "Mary Poppins" will give the people by their animated phantasia many pleasure. And that is important. And astonishing, by video/cinema surround the purists are even generous (only in a short time was spoken from a frontal - picture-according - "surround"-sound). But they think, music is a holy grail, which must sound always and only in century-old music temples. But also music is art - look above - it is absolute allowed to mix this also in fully surround-sound. The puristic "skimmed-milk surround" can not fill full our ears, because they are built not for mono or stereo, but for real surround listening. The sound-world is not flat, so the surround-sound is the real sound of nature -and by music is more allowed then "reverberation-clouds over the shoulder. So my appeal, when you are reading or listening about some rubbis of "gimmicks" by surround-sound, give the flat-people a sharp answer. Some arguments you find here. Now I will again look forward to an interesting discussion in the forum.

It is too easy for someone who:

1) Has never experienced surround dound in their own environment

2) Has no money for the required equipment (extra speakers, etc

3) Has no room for the required equipment

4) Hates change

..........to classify surround as "gimmicky". This way, they come off as a "purest", instead of someone who is unable to enjoy the mix.

IMHO

JonUrban said:
It is too easy for someone who:

1) Has never experienced surround dound in their own environment

2) Has no money for the required equipment (extra speakers, etc

3) Has no room for the required equipment

4) Hates change

..........to classify surround as "gimmicky". This way, they come off as a "purest", instead of someone who is unable to enjoy the mix.

IMHO

Fair points all Jon. 100% agreement on my part. Confession time though -I'm often accused of being purist (me?! with what I think about cables? Ha!) because I generally dislike instruments honking away behind me if there is no reason in the music for them doing so. As I've said before, as far as I'm concerned, if there is a reason for it, a la Alan Parsons DSOTM, then I'm all for it. Progressive rock is perfect for deliberate useage of surround instrument placement -perhaps the best of all genres. I'm still not convinced by a large number of general surround mixes though -can't shake the feeling that the producers aren't yet used to having multi channel & don't quite know what to do with them. Not so good. A lot of the early releases in quad seemed to suffer from this. Nothing ever changes. A lot of recent ones do too. That isn't to say it worse than 2 channel stereo. I've plenty of stereo albums that sound horribly confused -right up to the point I fire them through a quad or DPLII decoder. They're simply carrying too much information (a great deal of it the wrong information too) in the front channels. Shifting the out-of-phase and ambiant information to the rear channels suddenly opens them up. Live classical orchestral performances are often the worse hit for that. This could simply be avoided with a good surround mix, or a dematrixing process like DPLII, Variomatirx or Tate SQ logic. Multi channel -gimmicky? If that's a gimmic, then give us more of it I say!
Scott.

I enjoy a radical surround mix especially when it comes to studio prog rock which like Scott said is very suited to the "ping pong" quad effect. I love it when the soundfield is alive with movement and especailly when those "gimmicky" passages scare you from behind, it gives me chills, kinda a fight or flight thing. It really makes me smile :D .

Where is it written in stone that the band and the sound has to be in front of us? Again with studio prog music I want to be challenged emotionally and mentally. I want to be emersed in a musical experience ala AP's DSOTM. That is for me the ultimate musical experience! I always felt envolved in it some how. It made me the quadie I am today and I wish we had more musical experiences like it!!!

I always enjoyed it when any of the hard rock bands I played with would practice, the set up typically was me singing in the middle with the rest of the band surrounding me so my perspective is confused by that in that I spent considerably more time experiencing live music that way as opposed to the concert experience. I went to hundreds of concerts too so I'm so confused on this :mad:@:

That confusion aside, when that same prog rock is live and was not presented in surround when recorded live, I want more of a I was there feeling with my friends and fellow concert goers around me with just the natural reverberations and crowd noise comming from the sides and behind. That said I still like a suprise or two in these mixes also.

Other genres less progressive I think should have a more balanced soundfield.

I tend to fall into the category if you are going to do it in multichannel surround than do it up! Progressive rock or not, doesn't matter, just do it well. Though I like some better than others, there is not one Scheiner or Kellogg mix that I do not thoroughly enjoy. I really enjoy the active surround mixes of America, Doobie Brothers, Eagles, Steely Dan/Fagen, R.E.M., etc. none of which can be really classified as progressive rock. Do it well and any type of music can probably be given new life and added enjoyment with an aggressive surround mix. Again, if done well. Now my personal preference for "live" recordings is an ambient mix. I really enjoy the Frank Zappa disc as it does a great job of simulating the concert experience. If it is live then I prefer the sound coming from the front with the exception of a drum solo, etc. (Zappa disc another good example of that). Again this is all my personal taste, as I guess it should be, and everyone is entitled to theirs. It does irk me a little when people who have never evened listened to a decent surround mix in their listening evironment, as Jon mentioned, come down so hardlined against multichannel recordings, but that's my problem and their loss. I have only one disc where I prefer the 2ch over the multich and that is the Nora Jones release. On my system the multichannel adds nothing and takes away a bit from the fidelity. Feel a ramble coming on, so...bye.

I would have to say that I am also a fan of active surround that utilizes all four channels. I would agree that it definitely seems like some of the early producers of quad material didn't know what to do with the mix. I'm not sure of the actual source of some of these master recordings, but at times it almost sounds like the surround mix might have been taken from a 4 track master and just dubbed over to the four surround channels, with no real thought given to the mix. Some times you might get primary vocals that are panned either full front right or full front left, which seems to support my suspicions that it was just transferred from a master source directly. To me, the most natural place for a vocal is mixed front center, not discretely to one side or the other.
I've often wondered why early surround producers didn't take more advantage of phantom sources. In reality, a four channel mix could have sounds coming from as many as 8 distinct sources, Front L, Front R, a mix to simulate front center, Rear L, Rear R, a mix to simulate rear center, you could even do a mix of Front L and Rear L to get a phantom L front-back center and a Front R, Rear R to get a phantom R front-back center source. But rarely did they even utilize the phantom front center to their advantage. It's almost as though since it was "four channel" sound they felt obligated to keep it discretely mixed to those four channels.
But my favorite of the original quad recordings are those that took great advantage of the fact that it was four channel. One of my favorite songs in the early days was Edgar Winter's Frankenstein where the synthesizer moved it a circular pattern around the soundfield.
I certainly also appreciate some of the more ambient surround mixes, but give me a good gimmicky surround mix any time.

Now you've gone and done it the whole problem in surrounds first incarnation was that the phantom channels were extremely hard to realize in matrix mode due to the limitations of the encoders of the time and only CD4 or tape could actually achieve a phantom image.

Sondeguy said:
Now you've gone and done it the whole problem in surrounds first incarnation was that the phantom channels were extremely hard to realize in matrix mode due to the limitations of the encoders of the time and only CD4 or tape could actually achieve a phantom image.

Your right -with SQ, it was essentially impossible to have phantom (surround) channels due to the encoding processes -you can't have the same sounds leaking across speakers in the manner you wish because it was unpredictable which parts of the music were going to be lost in the encoding process. Check out some of Wendy Carlos's comments on the subject!
I reckon prog responds best to the agressive mixing simply because it's highly elaborate and 'gimmicky' to start off with; and therefore this would add a futher dimension to it. That's not to say other musical styles wouldn't. Many people prefer this style of more agressive mix with everything -which is fine. I don't as a rule, unless I feel there is a particular benefit to it, and not using the surround channels purely for the sake of it, but that's just what I like. Music is inherently subjective. 19th century Mongolian folk music doesn't float my boat, but if people enjoy it, great (so long as I'm not subjected to it!) The same applies to the mixing.
Scott

Hi all there, who have comment till now something about my report of the "Surround-Gimmicks". As I said, of course there are always a few with a distint own sound-taste. Of course, each from us will have one, but most inside a common surround-level which means pure quadraphony. But today often is predominanted - especially by the commercials (software-firms, journalists) - the puritan sight of surround. But also musical art needs not only this sight, but in contrary creative freedom. A compulsion to play only on one fixed place exist only by a live-performance. 90% of the medium-music are studio-recordings and will have more freedom of working - and will do that. The base-recording often will take some days with different artist-members and the mixdown following will need weeks or monthes. Also by a stereo-version this is not music from a live-stage. The "Live-Stage" at home will be only a gimmick fata-morgana - I and some means. But again, one can love this - I and most fans of Quadraphony don't. Those, who likes further on a more stero sound-impression, may play the 2-channel tracks. But when Surround, it must sound real around. The cloud-surround I call therefore Stereo+R (Reverberation).
In the late 80's we have produced self 6 quadraphonic-recordings with 8-16 recording-channels. After the 4-channel-mix we have demonstrated one of the bands the quadraphonic-sound - asking them for their opinion. At first they were laughing and then one said "it is similar to our playing on stage, where also some artists play before and other behind me.
Another example for music-creativity - already by stereo. In the booklet of "Fresh Aire V" is written: The recording...spans three locations on two continents. The rhythm section was recorded... in Omaha. The London Symphony Orchester was recorded in (of course) London and the cambridge singers were recorded at Ely Cathedral, England... CD-mastering was done in L.A. Whow, a real "reality" stage. Meanwhile Chip Davis is hot for surround - of course.

And now few words to answers around the phantom-center, which may not work by quadraphonic matrix records. That is not true. The drawback of early decoders is the poor channel-separation. The phantom-centers works equal like by stereo. Only for a center behind there are difficultys for the early matrix-systems. As I know, also sweet Wendy has reported the same. The dreadful channel sepration was a trouble, so they have made test-pressings on CD-4 - unfortunately not available.

Most pop-productions in surround will today more or less sound like quadraphony. A surround-desert will be further on the classical section with ONLY sound-stage-sound. But I am not interested for the hall-sound and a more monophonic thickening player wall - I want to listen the music in the way, my ears are built. Working for real surround by opera or symphonic music will be a further hard work - but it will come.

So far my re-report to a few surround-aspects.

Dietrich

Heck, I'll admit it...give me everything: gimmicks, sound whizzing around all the channels, "unnatural" instrument placement. One of my fave moments in ELP’s live quad set is the analog synth in “Aquatarkus” that goes ‘round all of the speakers, which I doubt actually happened in the actual concert (though, being ELP, you never know…)

Multichannel allows an artist a much larger canvas to create on, and I love to see it exploited to the fullest…so bring it on!

bizmopeen said:
Heck, I'll admit it...give me everything: gimmicks, sound whizzing around all the channels, "unnatural" instrument placement. One of my fave moments in ELP’s live quad set is the analog synth in “Aquatarkus” that goes ‘round all of the speakers, which I doubt actually happened in the actual concert (though, being ELP, you never know…)

Multichannel allows an artist a much larger canvas to create on, and I love to see it exploited to the fullest…so bring it on!

Hi Joe, I think, most of the surround-fans will have enjoyment and pleasure by listening - especially, when it sounds right around. The ELP recording and the rotating synthesizer I own also with Q8.
Dietrich

This is what's great about coming to this board. Everywhere else you get that crap about how music coming from the back speakers is evil and 'not the way it sounds at a live show'. We like quad because it puts us in the middle of the sound. I find the idea that music has to be played from one end of a room and pointed toward the audience to be a limitation of a live performance, not the perfect solution. And if you're going to have music come from all around, then why not move the sound around you sometimes. It doesn't work all the time with everything, but I think there are a lot of effects, even in stereo, that lend themselves to movement across the speakers. Whether it is the wind noises in Fly Like and Eagle or the many special sounds in the background of a Pink Floyd song that are made to stand out from the instruments and it seems appropriate to bounce them around the room. And a guitar or synth swirling around the room can be just as thrilling if it's done right.

KW

I used to go see the band Gentle Giant in the late 70's. They had a quad setup, and during the song "Plain Truth" the violinist used a series of tape loops, so that the violin would come out of each speaker at the four corners of the auditorium, so it sounded like four separate violins playing in harmony at the same time. Amazing! They also utilized the quad effect on the drums, the whole band would play drums at the same time, and there were drum sounds coming at you from all directions. There wer other bands at the time who used quad for live performances, Pink Floyd and Hawkwind are two that come to mind. And I also saw a film of "Ladies and Gentlemen the Rolling Stones" at the Ziegfield Theatre in NY that was presented in quad, Awesome! It was the Sticky Fingers tour, boy would I love to get that quad recording on DVD.

Yeah, I saw Floyd live in '94 in San Diego, and they had a Quad setup. The opening cash register sounds for "Money" were very discrete, and, played at top volume through the speaker stacks of SD's baseball stadium, totally awesome, dude!!

Well I've heard live shows using surround, like Bernstein's Mass in the '70s - written to be performed with discrete surround tape and speakers surrounding the audience. I've seen plays where the characters go into the audience. On the other hand, I have heard many shows that were 'wall of sound' and the sound was awful. The rolling Stones comes to mind! So wha texactly are we trying to recreate? The live performance? True some live recordings should aspire to this but most studio recordings benefit from a more aggressive mix, particularly pop music. When I read about all the new surround mixes, I hesitated to plunge in as I had heard they were conservative. I must say, ELP, Brian Ferry, Peter Gabriel (also used surround live) are really excellent. My experience is not so much that poor surround mixes result from inexperience so much as greed - -not spending the money to do them right. So the best of both worlds is a good sacd with the stereo mix for the narrow minded and the full vigor of surround for we enlightened. Purist? Oh, by the way, you need to be running all this through a tube setup or its all a waste anyway!
Marc

There's one point I'd like to add to this thread. The word "gimmick" has been given a more negative meaning than it deserves. All forms of entertainment have used various gimmicks in different ways, in order to call attention to something, or cause you to remember something that was clever and surprising. When it is applied to something in an artistic way, it rises to the level of becoming a convincing illusion, or ultimately a cultural icon, an example the Beatles haircuts in the early days, a gimmick that ultimately sparked off a youth revolution. So a mix like the Alan Parsons version of Dark Side Of The Moon could considered to be be using surround gimmicks, but were done so tastefully and artistically that they raised the bar as to what any surround mixing engineer aspires to acheive. By the same token, I have an test record with muzak type songs on it that are all right for setting up your speakers and balancing your system, but the way the instruments bounce around is corny and dowright annoying after repeated listenings. It all depends on how the effect is used. A stereo recording that had the sound constantly bouncing back and forth between the two channels would get tiresome, yet many artists used that effect tastefully and made their songs more interesting and dynamic as a result. :kitty:

I agree with sspsandy, that the so called surround-"gimmicks" are not bad. As I have written before, the sound-effects are a piece of the artistic sound-creativity. But this therm is taken by the puritan journalists and some (hopfull only a few) prof-people to make run-down all sound of real around, which will have music also outside of a concert-hall stage. That is bad and was detrimental to quadraphony in the 70's and will be too in actual surround-times.So we should fight again the "gimmick" people. Dietrich

Back