Are there any good copies of Elton John's "Goodbye Yellow Brick Road"?

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I currently have 2 copies of this SACD album, and both have deteriorated into a mess of dropouts. I am currently recording what is salvageable and filling in with a stereo copy processed through my Space and Image Composer. I do believe I have a weak laser on my player, but it usually works flawlessly once I get it going at the beginning of a listening session. I was wondering if anyone else had the same problem with this recording?
The Quadfather
My SACD of GBYBR stopped working years ago on my old Denon universal player, along with the SACD of Tommy and Nine Inch Nails The Downward Spiral. All other SACD discs work fine. I therefore purchased all of them on dvd audio and were all perfect. These 3 SACD titles were all made by the same manufacturer in the same style of packaging so I figured they were all bad but years later discovered that they all played on my Oppo players so it's probably just my old Denon showing it's age.

My SACD of GBYBR stopped working years ago on my old Denon universal player, along with the SACD of Tommy and Nine Inch Nails The Downward Spiral. All other SACD discs work fine. I therefore purchased all of them on dvd audio and were all perfect. These 3 SACD titles were all made by the same manufacturer in the same style of packaging so I figured they were all bad but years later discovered that they all played on my Oppo players so it's probably just my old Denon showing it's age.
I had the same problem with a Sony SACD player, some would not play or not play the surround layer. I replaced it with an Oppo BD-83 and did not have any issues with the discs

I had the same problem with a Sony SACD player, some would not play or not play the surround layer. I replaced it with an Oppo BD-83 and did not have any issues with the discs

I copied the DSD files from this one long ago. Haven't played the SACD since.
They are working fine here in Stereo and Surround Sound.

I used DVD Audio Extractor to convert each of the tracks to 5.1 WAV from the 2004 DVD Audio so I can play it through my PLEX server on my home equipment (I use the DVDA in the car). Definitely my favorite in his collection. Interesting to go back and read the initial Rolling Stone review when the album came out in 1973 (they hated it). "This new record is a big fruity pie that simply doesn’t bake."
Screen Shot 2019-01-09 at 4.26.42 PM.png
https://www.rollingstone.com/music/music-album-reviews/goodbye-yellow-brick-road-249137/

Amazing how the magazine now considers it to be one of the Top 100 albums ever made (#91).

I wound up recording the songs I could save onto my Akai quad reel to reel. I used my Sansui AX-7's to mix the center channel into the two front channels. I did the same with the LFE channel. For the songs I couldn't save, I filled in with a stereo copy processed through my Audionics unit. It turned out pretty good, but I might drag out my Oppo and see if it will play the missing songs, including all of the bonus tracks. The Oppo was retired for tracking issues, but who knows, it might play some of them. I replaced the Oppo with my older Pioneer player. Both need work, probably new lasers. I might look for the DVD later.

Back